Your replacement "Big Four"

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by GunneRy, Dec 15, 2009.

1. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Was just thinking about who I wouldn't mind seeing in the top four places, if Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and/or ManUnited were to fail to make it into a Champions League spot.

My thoughts/explanations are as follows, in order of who I wouldn't mind seeing get a top four spot:

1) Villa- Martin O'Neill makes wonders with a small(er) budget, and is all class.
    2) Everton- Ditto David Moyes.
    3) West Ham- their fans deserve something after all these years in the Premier League. A top four finish would be a dream come true.
    4) Birmingham- a very likable small club.

Who I'd rather not:
    1) City- I have come to hate them in a way I'm not even sure I can understand. It's probably because I know that if they continue to spend like they have, there's no way to keep them out of the top four.
    2) Spurs- duh.

Thoughts?

2. FabregasTED

FabregasTED Member

Jan 2, 2007
    New Haven, CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Soft spot for Everton because my roommate is a big supporter, but aside from them the whole lot can go to hell.

3. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  4. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Norwich City.

5. ithacat

ithacat Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Ithaca, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't mind seeing Villa...

I also wouldn't mind seeing a top four of Arsenal, Chelsea, Fulham, and West Ham. :)

6. Quentin

Quentin Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Hurricane, WV, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AV or Fulham.

7. fari

fari Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Denver,CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i like sunderland...b/c my boy k jones plays for them

8. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    I actually overlooked Fulham- a likeable, small team that lives within their means.

9. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Villa, Everton and Middlesboro, though with this last team, they'd have to get back to the top flight. Also, when I was a kid, I liked the Leeds teams of Don Revie, so I've always wanted them to get reorganized.

10. Darth Norteño

Darth Norteño With Buddha In My Fists

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    1. Arsenal
    2. Arsenal Reserves
    3. Arsenal Ladies
    4. Arsenal Youth Academy

1 person likes this.
  11. Frankgarrison

Frankgarrison Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Jackson, MS, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  12. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    this has quickly turned into a "who do you like in the english premiership that isnt arsenal" thread.

13. IU Gooner

IU Gooner Member+

Feb 8, 2009
    Chicago
    I'd love to see Villa get in this year and I think there chances are pretty good.

14. DmouthGunner

DmouthGunner Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Add Hull City to that. Can't stand that tool, Phil Brown. Though I don't think there is any real danger of it ever happening.

I would love to see Clint Dempsey and the rest of Team America get a top 4 spot. Btw, anyone know if Eddie Johnson is still there?...AV actually play a style that could do well in the CL. They defend well, have enough speed to trouble the best of teams on the break and take set pieces well. With the right draw they could even make it to the knockout round. If you have any doubts check the tape of their victories over Liverpool, Chelsea and most recently ManUre all this season. And the way Liverpool are playing AV could even get that 4th spot this season. That fourth spot is really up for grabs...

15. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    this

16. red & wite army

red & wite army I ain't no drama queen!

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Brum can go fuk themselves, for 3 reasons:

1. Eduardo's leg snaps. Brum crowd sing, "Same old Arsenal, always cheating!" And then Zarate dives to earn a penalty and draw.

2. Walcott's knee injured by Ridgewell's challenge, and the crowd sing, "There's only one Martin Taylor."

3. I travelled half way across the bloody world, to the Emirates Stadium, to watch Arsenal vs Birmingham, only to have some geriatric Brum fool sitting next to me in the Arsenal stands, openly and blatantly talking smack. Brum score the equaliser, and he celebrates like mad. cvnt.

17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    if i had to pick 4 teams i like instead of the top four?

1. bcfc obviously
    2. everton - moyes is so underrated, hes had no money where as o neill has spent alot
    3. wigan - bruce rejuvinated, martinez carries it on with astute signings and attacking football
    4. sunderland - bruce has done well there, very hard team to beat/breakdown

honourable mention to fulham and the brilliant job hodgson has done and id like west ham to get out of trouble too

18. railhawksfan

railhawksfan Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Liverpool.....LOL!

Villa becuase they are well managed, I have depp respect for Martin and they are owned by a sensible American.

19. DougG_ATL

DougG_ATL Member

Jul 5, 2005
    metro Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PERFECT! Repped!

20. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Liverpool will make it to the top four still. They're too good not to do it. But If I were to choose a team that would hack, I'd say Spurs, hate it or not, would be the team, They have more depth than Villa and although I see both running out of gas, spurs will last longer in the race.

I agree, however, with the point someone said about Villa being able to do well in CL. They are physicall, have good pace and are good in set pieces while having a decent defence and goal keeper. They would of course need to sign some players better than Downing and they should be fine.

21. BenZ76.O.L

BenZ76.O.L New Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Not sure they will. I think Villa or Tot will get the fourth spot.

22. Flyemirates2491

Mar 8, 2007
    Roma, Italia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Funny thing is they're really not too good to miss the top 4. We'll see though.

23. ArizonaFußballFan

Nov 8, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In this fantasy alternate universe, I would say for Birmingham City and Fulham to make it as they work within their means and play solid defense without only having to play 10 back.

Those would be my sympathy votes.

24. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Agreed- I don't think Villa will choke this year, and I can see them getting third.

25. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'll be very surprised if Liverpool don't make it to the top 4 this year. 2 of their next 3 games are 6 point swings with Villa and spurs so winning those two games puts them right back in contention. If they were to lose those 2 games, I'd recommend they make themselves at home in the Europa Cup as a 9 point gap to 5th place and still having to play Chelsea, Manutd, Citi, and us doesn't look promising.

Rafa's false fachts have properly deluded their fanbase, and I think they will pressure the owners to give him another 20-30m to spend this January, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him bring in a big name (David Villa) to save their season.