Your Preseason Top 15

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by shaggycat, Jul 11, 2005.

1. uncgfan

uncgfan New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Funny,

I was thinking UNCG could fit anywhere from 8-15, and College Soccer News agrees. The first part of the scheudule looks like this:

==============================================
    Aug. 21 at Duke (exh.), 7 pm;
    Aug. 27 vs. North Carolina State (exh), 7 pm;
    Sept. 1 vs. UNC Wilmington (UNCG/Davidson Classic), 7 pm;
    Sept. 5 vs. Charlotte (UNCG/Davidson Classic), 7 pm;
    Sept. 9 at Brown (at Brown Classic), 7:30 pm;
    Sept. 11 vs. Connecticut at Brown (at Brown Classic), 12 noon;
    Sept. 16 at UAB (at UAB Classic), 8:30 pm;
    Sept. 18 vs. Birmingham Southern (at UAB Classic), 1 pm;
    Sept. 24 vs. William & Mary, 7 pm;
    Sept. 27 at North Carolina, 7 pm;
    -------------------------------------------------------------

It's a shame Duke and State wouldn't play us in the regular season. Remember this name Michael Fitzgerald(and read the excerpt below). He was as good as Patterson up front in the spring after a redshirt and a bulkup year.

UNCG is going to be VERY dangerous.

2. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Won't play us? Are you on the team? ;)

Looks like a nice schedule. Good luck to UNCG!

3. uncgfan

uncgfan New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Not anymore, and not the soccer team. Now I'm just an aging alum with two kids and a mortgage :(.

But I sure do enjoy the hour ride back to Greensboro to take in the games.

I have to say though, Wake, UNC, UVA, Va. Tech and Clemson have all taken their lumps from us in the regular season over the past two years. Duke and State haven't, and I know for a fact we've been trying to get a game with them for two years.

Heck they'd rather play App State and Elon than UNCG, which I don't think does anything for them. Well, maybe for N.C. State.

Go figure.

4. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    I'm all in! Pushes all chips to center of the table. I'll trade you my five kids and mortgage for your two kids and mortgage and throw in my trophy wife? Glares @ uncgfan with steely poker eyes...

5. SoCR143

SoCR143 New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    i believe South Florida this year will be a surprise again....last year they seem to be shocking everyone by being 7-0-2 by the middle of the season...beating teams such as SMU not to mention 3-0 and FIU 2-1 at FIU....also beating C-USA champions Memphis 2-0.... they only lost two starters...who to be honest were never even mentioned in any stats....also word in the street is that a new Trinidadian could be possibly the Big East freshman of the year...their schedule seems to be tough as they will be facing SMU...FIU....NEW Mexico...and Seton Hall in their first 5 games....i believe if they start off in a good foot they will be a team to watch...i put them in the top 25!

6. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    A little bump to see how we all fared after the first week of the Regular Season.

So who are the real contenders and who are the pretenders?

7. robbjoseph81

robbjoseph81 New Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Bloomington, Indiana
    1 - IU

2 - 25
    Maryland
    UCLA
    Duke
    Akron
    UC Santa
    etc. etc.

the rest will jsut have to play out, but Maryland, Duke, and UCLA chould meet up with IU in North Carolina for a good tournament, ultimately favoring the boys from Bloomington

8. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    I thought this was a fun thread to kick off the College Season.

Most teams are just past the halfway point of the Regular Season. How are your Pre-Season picks faring? I know I was way off with my pick of Boston University. I really felt they would be much better. They had some injury problems like all teams do and started really slow. Northwestern was a team that I expected to dominate and NW suffered from a slow start as well mostly due to key players being injured. Of course my SLU Billikens are not among the current top 10 teams but they will be there right??

Here are my pre-season Top 25 and Honorable Mention Picks,

1. IU

2. New Mexico

3. UCLA

4. Duke

5. Santa Clara

6. Northwestern

7. Maryland

8. Boston University

9. Ohio State

10. Saint Louis

11. Notre Dame

12. Creighton

13. SMU

14. UCSB

15. Portland

16. St. John's

17. UCONN

18. Portland

19. Memphis

20. Virginia

21. UAB

22. North Carolina State

23. Akron

24. UNCG

25. Penn State

Honorable Preseason Mentions:

Virginia Comm
    Loyola Marymont
    Washington
    Wake Forest
    ODU
    California
    Boston College
    Michigan
    ODU
    College of Charleston
    Kentucky
    South Carolina
    Clemson
    Florida International
    Coastal Carolina
    Wisconsin Milwaukee
    Stanford-Oh my how they have fallen!

9. tigerfan

tigerfan New Member

Jul 21, 2005
    There is definitely something wrong with the NSCAA rankings, they are frankly, embarassingly inaccurate as is proven every year in playoffs

10. shaggycat

shaggycat New Member

Oct 21, 2004
    USA
    I disagree. While I may think they are innacurate at times, they do as good a job as any other pole in any other college sport. Look at the last NCAA Mens basketball tournament, Vermont beat Syracuse, Bucknell beat Kansas, Michigan State made the final four. Or the current college basketball season, South Florida beats top ten U of L, Oklahoma starts the season ranked number 5 but loses to TCU, MTSU beats Vandy, and I could go on and on.

So while I may at times disagree with the poll, they do as good a job as can be expected. You can't expect upsets not to occur in a one and done format. That is the nature of sports and part of what makes them so great. Heck, look at last summers European Championship! Greece!?!?!?! Come on, no poll could have predicted that. If results of any sport could be predicted on any fairly consistent basis, no one would watch them because we would already know the outcome. It isn't the fault of the polls that the best team doesn't always win.

11. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    How are we all doing here? I just looked at my pre-season picks and noticed that I picked Portland twice as the 15th and the 18th team. I can now unequivocally admit to being dead wrong in both instances!! :D I also picked ODU twice in my Honerable Mention choices. I'm an IDIOT! Slaps self in the forehead. All in all I think I did a decent job. I love my top 5 Picks. Northwestern @ 6 seems out of place but I know they are a really good team that struggled early with injuries. Boston U was a big miss and quite frankly they have been a disappointment. BU has played pretty well as of late though. I was way off with Ohio State @ 9 as well. My 10 through 14 picks I find very interesting at this point. I still feel that SLU is a top 10 team. They are among the hottest teams in the country and have won 6 consectutive matches. SLU has a big head to head win over SMU @ SMU. SLU was also a little unlucky in the double ot loss to Notre Dame where SLU hit the post twice in Regulation. I knew Creighton was way overranked in the early season polls and that fact is bearing out along with the same for UCSB.

10. Saint Louis

11. Notre Dame

12. Creighton

13. SMU

14. UCSB

I had St. John's @ 16 which seems about right. I listed Akron @ 23. I don't think Akron is a legitimat # 1 but they are for real and deserve a top 10 ranking. Let's see how they fare vs IU. I still feel that UVA was an overranked team in the polls and I like them @ # 20. North Carolina should have been ranked.

12. Shutout

Shutout New Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Soccertom, good stuff V GW