Your Preseason Top 15

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by shaggycat, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They weren't a preseason Top Ten team with those guys last season...

With Virginia and Cal in the first two games, we'll have a pretty good indication very quickly.

2. sccrguy

sccrguy New Member

Mar 11, 2005
    You were seeking good RESEARCH. Where is yours? Butler tied for the Horizon League last year (with UWM); so they could not "finish second again." Oh well.........SACK????

3. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They tied on record at 6-1 so they share...but lost the head-to-head and UWM recieved the #1 seed in the tourney and hosting rights. UWM then went on the win the league tournment. Doesn't look so "tied" and even now does it.

4. onewhoknows

onewhoknows Member

May 18, 2005
    Start a UWM vs. Butler thread. This is a top 15 thread.

5. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    ... and UCLA was a consensus top five pick, despite having lost Taylor, Griffin, Gregorio, Wells, and Maurin (and Lawson, IIRC). The year before, Stanford was in the top five, despite having lost players like Dunivant, Levesque, Graham, and Maliza. UCLA was mildly over-rated, Stanford extremely so.

Pre-season soccer polls rarely seem to consider the need for rebuilding, but they should.

6. khsoccergeek

khsoccergeek New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    West Virginia
    West Virginia's got 9 starters and all their major subs back from a team that finished the regular season ranked in Soccer America's poll.

I'm interested as to why nobody's ranked them.

I'm a homer, I know (;

7. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    I suggest you offer your own ranking and name West Virginia among your Top 25. Problem solved. I'm a helper! :)

8. cent

cent New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    I watched West Virgina play last year and it was pretty ugly soccer. I think Coach Seabolt has them moving in the right direction and I wish them well.

9. khsoccergeek

khsoccergeek New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    West Virginia
    No question that WVU plays "ugly". Defend, defend some more, and then counter. But it beat Notre Dame and St. John's, so I expect them to stick with it.

10. thesoccermannow1

thesoccermannow1 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Tulsa doesn't even get an honorable mention? they lost in the elite 8 to almighty Indiana, and aren't even a preseason top 42 for you? wow.

11. Rockhillman

Rockhillman New Member

May 9, 2004
    South Carolina
    1. always for me ucla, the only consistant team in the country. after that more of a randomly ordered top 25....

2-25....virginia, indiana, c of charleston, new mexico, tulsa, ucsb, stanford, creighton, washington, st. johns, syracuse, a random florida school, michigan, odu, uconn (always ranked and respected), duke (average, but still a good run), portland, unc...could make a comeback...., smu, notre dame, maryland, clemson and carolina could pop in when ones' ranked the other's not......, penn state, a cusa school like slu/memphis/uab.... throw in another west coaster maybe santa clara or san francisco....honorable...wake forest...maybe...ncstate??? that is my guess i know it'll be torn to shreds, but whatever/ oh well

12. soccerall

soccerall Member

Mar 16, 2005
    Syracuse in the top 25...you're dreaming big time.

13. Dr Beeper

Dr Beeper New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Rockhil....best wishes during your time in drug rehab...hopefully you can access the site from your center and follow Syracuses run to the Final IV......unless Jim Boeheim takes over, i dont see it....cant even fathom it...a metter of fact SJU, Hofstra, Hartwick, Marist and Binghamton all of a better shot of getting there long before SU

14. Damon

Damon Member

Jul 1, 2001
    Evansville, IN, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UCLA, the only consistant (sic) team in the country? Why of course they are young man, you just keep thinkin' that way.
    Get the glue bottle away from your nose and keep in mind that crack kills.

GO HOOSIERS!

15. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Tulsa is good. I neglected to mention them. We cool?

16. thesoccermannow1

thesoccermannow1 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    yea, we're cool. we all make mistakes.

17. Shutout

Shutout New Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Rockhill,
    27 posts, maybe you are new.
    No UWM mention in your 2-25 list?
    That is like the other guy who left Tulsa out of his list.

18. Rockhillman

Rockhillman New Member

May 9, 2004
    South Carolina
    ok i just threw my list together in a few minutes....sorry a couple should have been added a couple should have been left off i apologize, i still think some are solid picks and still think ucla is the most consistant team in the country, i mean look at their roster/national team players, rediculous, ok i'll give you indiana, but they are a well coached team in the past yes some talent but no ucla squad wise...thats just what i think...i know we all have disagreements, so every now and then just agree to disagree you know?

19. shaggycat

shaggycat New Member

Oct 21, 2004
    USA
    I would agree that UCLA has had the best players in the past decade, but IU has been the best TEAM. Its the same principle you witness at times with Real Madrid, the Yankees, the 03-04 Lakers, and a million teams in between. The most talented team doesn't always win. Talent is important, but your cohesiveness and chemistry as a team are just as crucial.

20. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    IU has it's share of quality players, but they also do it with age and maturity among their role players. IU always maintains a large contingent of redshirt players (at least 8 this next season), and that longer tenure in the program adds a good bit of continuity and cohesiveness.

21. I Love the game

Jun 20, 2005
    OK. I'll give it a go.
    Here is my PRE-SEASON top 25.

1. Indiana (They are going to have several surprises in Big 10 play)
    2. UCLA (Loads of talent)
    3. Duke (Best recruiting assistant coach in the business)
    4. Maryland (Hard to beat Cirovski's passion)
    5. New Mexico (One of the few D-1 mens programs within several states)
    6. SMU (ONLY D-1 program for the entire state of TX!)
    7. Virginia (Always great recruiting and talent)
    8. Ohio State (They will be real tough to score on)
    9. Wake Forest (This could be a mistake, but we'll see)
    10. Michigan (I think they are ready to build on the 2003 NCAA run)

11. Northwestern (Virtually whole team is back)
    12. Tulsa
    13. Boston College (Will make some serious noise in the ACC)
    14. Notre Dame (I like Bobby Clarke and I'm catholic)
    15. North Carolina
    16. St Johns
    17. Creighton
    18. Stanford
    19. U Conn
    20. Washington

21. California
    22. Santa Clara
    23. UNC-Greensboro
    24. Penn State
    25. UCSB

There you have it. I gave it a shot.

22. Rockhillman

Rockhillman New Member

May 9, 2004
    South Carolina
    i agree, but i think and some programs think, college is just preparation for professional ranks and producing pro's is sometimes as crucial as producing championships, take a team like ucla or portland and imagine if they kept all their players all four years, i know portland would have had conor casey, jaqua, kelly gray, and one or two other stars that all went pro at the same time, could you imagine a line up w/half the players all american status, unreal...yes cohesiveness is still vital and thats where a well coached team like IU comes in, just a solid system and winning tradition, but sometimes evaluating it does look at their record for producing pros and yes i know IU has had its share, just a comment....

23. aquick97

aquick97 New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Interesting call on BC... was that the Catholicism coming through? Haha... You could be right on, though...

24. Rjlmnr2

Rjlmnr2 New Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Austin;Columbia
    figured you'd notice something like that. preseason means nothing right?

25. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's my un educated ( I blame my western PA public school and PA state college education) guess at top 15.

1. Indiana
    2. Maryland
    3. Duke
    4. UCLA
    5. New Mexico - Bobby Clarks son is an assistant here and from what I've heard a great recruiter
    6. Virginia
    7. UNC - Greensboro
    8. St. Johns
    9. SMU
    10. Wake Forest
    11. Creighton
    12. Northwestern
    13. UC Santa Barbra - I think losing 5 starters is a big deal.
    14. South Florida - not really sure why I'm ranking them this high, I blame the fact that I'm still on my first cup of coffee.
    15 Ohio State - 2 reasons why I'm including Ohio State, first is I hate Penn State and they have a pretty good team. It's easier to rank Ohio State then give Archer positive rep. :p