Your Post-Confederations Cup Squad

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Canadian Azzurri, Jun 20, 2009.

1. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It's been some time since my last one, so I'm gonna give this another go...

SQUADRA:

Portieri:
    1. Gianluigi Buffon
    2. Marco Amelia
    3. Federico Marchetti

Difensori:
    4. Davide Santon
    5. Marco Motta
    6. Fabio Cannavaro
    7. Nicola Legrottaglie/Alessandro Gamberini
    8. Giorgio Chiellini
    9. Salvatore Bocchetti
    10. Fabio Grosso
    11. Domenico Criscito

Centrocampisti:
    12. Daniele De Rossi
    13. Mauro Camoranesi
    14. Andrea Pirlo
    15. Gennaro Gattuso/Angelo Palombo
    16. Claudio Marchisio
    17. Matteo Brighi
    18. Antonio Cassano
    19. Gaetano D'Agostino

Attacanti:
    20. Giuseppe Rossi
    21. Vincenzo Iaquinta
    22. Giampaolo Pazzini
    23. Alberto Gilardino

FORMAZIONE:

---------------------------BUFFON--------------------------
    ---------------------------(Amelia)---------------------------
    --------------------------(Marchetti)-------------------------

----SANTON----CANNAVARO-----CHIELLINI-----GROSSO----
    ----(Motta)----(Legro/Gamber)----(Bocchetti)-----(Criscito)----

-------DE ROSSI-----------PIRLO---------MARCHISIO--------
    ------(Camoranesi)----(Gattuso/Palombo)-----(Brighi)-----------

--------------------------CASSANO---------------------------
    -------------------------(D'Agostino)--------------------------

-------------PAZZINI-------------------ROSSI----------------
    ------------(Gilardino)-----------------(Iaquinta)---------------

2. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    IMO, the above formation is very strong. The central defensive core of Canna (assuming good performances continue), Chiellini and Buffon is water tight and they are familar with one another. On the fullbacks, we have a lot of width and speed with Grosso and Santon, and able bodies to cover in Motta and Criscito.

I designed the midfield to have two hard-nosed midfielders in De Rossi and Marchisio to allow Pirlo to dictate play from the back and Cassano from the front. Camoranesi can add width as a sub. Gattuso or Palombo, whichever DM is playing better at the time, can relieve a DM or come in for Pirlo to protect the lead. Brighi is a runner (like Pepe) but better-able: he can contribute to the attack as well as defending.

Cassano pulls the strings for his boy Giampaolo and Rossi adds some flair and width as the SS. As they are still well-performing at the club level, Iaquinta and Gila can come in as substitutes in the striker positions.

3. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    that is a pretty good squad. could reach the quarters and with a lot of luck, the semis. unfortunately, the squad that lippi will bring i fear will be lucky to even reach round of 16, but we just have to see how this season plays out. the last couple of months lippi has said some things in the press and with a few of his selections that show that maybe finally he is starting to realize the need for a few more changes than just bringing rossi into the squad

4. Canadian Azzurri

Nov 14, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ha, I just did the same thing at work today (slow day ;)) but for next summer (therefore Aquilani is assumed to fit, absurd I know).

Buffon
    Amelia
    Marchetti

Cannavaro
    Chiellini
    Bocchetti
    Gamberini
    Motta
    Santon
    Criscito
    Grosso

De Rossi
    Pirlo
    Marchisio
    Aquilani
    Brighi
    Foggia
    Camoranesi

Rossi
    Cassano
    Iaquinta
    Pazzini
    Balotelli

I desperately want to play 4-4-2, even if the 4-3-1-2 can create a scary trident with Cassano-Rossi-some striker. 4-4-2 is simple and balanced, and what we should be trying to use IMO. I know we lack true wingers, but playing a hardworker like Brighi on the left isn't necessarily a bad thing, it can allow us to play without an out and out DM and go with two box-to-box midfielders like De Rossi and either Marchisio or Aquilani.

Pirlo, I wouldn't start in a 4-4-2, not anymore. We got away with it in 06 for a number of reasons: he was still reasonably fit, we had a superhuman Cannavaro and defense in general, two hardworking wingers in Camoranesi and Perrotta, plus a Gennaro Gattuso that was out of this world. Now, I would use him off the bench. If we went 4-3-1-2, then that's another thing.

Camoranesi is someone I'm wary of. He's injured a lot, but he'd pretty much have to go if we wanted 4-4-2, given our lack of wingers. Foggia is another true winger, with Brighi as a fake-winger, and we could push Grosso, Santon or even Criscito into an outside midfield spot if needed. Actually, on second thought, an outside midfield role could be a possible area for reinvention on the behalf of Zambrotta. Much like Pirlo, he probably needs to play slightly further up the pitch to prolong his effectiveness.

I'm taking Cassano. I'm taking Rossi. I want a good old-fashioned staffetta debate, dammit. I know Balotelli is a big risk, but unless Borriello finds some form, it'd be Gilardino, and having all three of Pazzini, Gilardino and Iaquinta is much too similar. I can't really think of anyone else (Di Natale? Ehhh....)

The starting XI would probably change based on a few things (form, opposition), but something like:

BUFFON

SANTON/MOTTA - CANNAVARO - CHIELLINI - GROSSO

FOGGIA/CAMORANESI - DE ROSSI - MARCHISIO/AQUILANI - BRIGHI

CASSANO/ROSSI

PAZZINI/IAQUINTA

5. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We have true wingers but Italian coaches can't really spot them. Foggia and Rosina are excellent wingers and Giovinco can play in that role. It would be good if De Ceglie got regular football because he would be good on the left in a 4-4-2. Not only that, most teams play with full-backs and some are good enough to play as wingers. Christian Maggio is a good example.

Playing Zambrotta as a winger would be a great idea because he can return to his roots and he won't have to worry about his defensive game, which has been a concern.

6. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You think so? I disagree. IMO, the only good, true winger we have is Camoranesi. I can't believe you mentioned Giovinco for the LM role - he hates that role and it limits half of his qualities. Foggia I can see as a LM and Brighi as an RM but Rosina? He seems more of a trequarista/second striker who drifts all over.

When I talk about wingers, I'm talking about guys like Quaresma, Jesus Navas, Mancini, Abate, etc... guys that run all day long along the sideline and cross like a machine. We don't really have those kinds of players IMO. That's why we don't really play a 4-4-2 unless Lippi wants to convert a CM into a winger like he did recently with Marchisio and has done with Perrotta.

It will also make him more tired than he already looks haha

7. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    And when we do actually have guys like that our coaches convert them into fullbacks. :rolleyes:

8. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sorry Forza, I didn't understand your comment :confused:

9. Romanista_NYC

Romanista_NYC Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Basel, Switzerland
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Nice picks -- your team balances experience with a team for the future. I'd be pretty confident going to South Africa with a squad like that.

10. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    meaning that when we actually do have really good LM's or RM's who can be effective options on the wing in midfield, Italian coaches tend to prefer to play them on the backline as fullbacks, similar to what they did to Zambrotta who was originally a midfielder in his earlier days.

11. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Tracking back is a concern for Giovinco but if he was to play on the left, he would be better suited to a 4-3-3 formation, where he is a left-wing forward and not trying to play like Nedved in a 4-4-2. His crossing ability is excellent too.

Rosina can play at LM but the seconda punta role would give him more chances to score goals as well as setting them up.

Foggia used to play on the left during his Ascoli days so I wouldn't rule him out of playing him at LM in a 4-4-2.

Another winger who has been moved into a full-back position is Aimo Diana. He was a winger at Reggina and Sampdoria and played on the right-wing for Brescia in a 3-5-2 formation (essentially a wing-back) but he has played at RB during his time with Palermo and Torino.

12. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Totti with the hat-trick today in Roma's EL match vs. Kosice, giving him I believe 10 goals in all competitions already :D

13. Geo Funk E

Geo Funk E Red Card

May 28, 2009
    Funk E Town
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I like it, and in the last friendly I noticed Lippi put in Gross for Marchisio at LM. In sort of curious as to whether Lippi is wondering whether Criscito can be the LB and bump Grosso to a winger position. I think Grosso could excell there because offensively he is very good and with Criscito manning the defensive duties, Grosso wouldn't need to do as much running. Similarly on the other end if Santon were to prove to be ready, Zambro could potentially go back to a midfield position. Effectively that would probably prolong both Grosso and Zambrotta during the game with less running, but also because of their experience as backs, they would be ideal to help lock down the defense when needed.

As mentioned above, I wonder if Santon and/or Criscito prove to be up to the task, whether the other two might bump forward a bit.

14. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    11 :d

15. Aranycsapat

Aranycsapat New Member

May 27, 2009
    Padova, Italy
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Criscito with another goal yesterday evening. I think he could also be tried out as LM by Lippi, usually he plays there for Genoa in their 3-4-3.

16. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Ah yes, my apologies :D

17. vlucia

vlucia New Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Criscito plays Wing Back in Genoa in a defense of 3 (3 central defenders), which is similar to (nearly the same with) Full Back of a 4-men defense (defends a lot and has the space to run forward), literally an "attacking full back", it's very different to side midfielder (with very little space to run) of a 4-men defense.

18. Aranycsapat

Aranycsapat New Member

May 27, 2009
    Padova, Italy
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes, in the defensive phase the 2 wide players of Genoa track back till their defensive line.

But if there is the idea of trying Grosso as LM, at least this is how the last match ended, I think that he and Criscito could easily switch position during a match. This is why I would like that option to be tried out...just my thought...

19. rizzuto123

rizzuto123 Member

May 3, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Lippi should not call up any Milan players anymore, except Pirlo, not after today.

20. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    and tbh, even pirlo will be debatable if he don't start improving, and i say that as one of his biggest admirers for his past exploits for club and country, but zambrotta and gattuso "sono bolliti"

21. Azzurri Canada

Azzurri Canada New Member

May 28, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Grosso - Chiellini - Cannavaro - Motta

De Rossi - Pirlo - Marchisio

Totti

Cassano - Pazzini

22. Luca03

Luca03 Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Zambrotta is horrible and is becoming just as much of a concern as Jankulovski.

23. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Santon is warming the bench.................so far...he has to call Motta....
    Anyway, how is he doing with Roma so far...?

24. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    [url='http://goal.com/en/news/1863/world-cup-2010/2009/08/29/1468309/luca-toni-amauri-is-stronger-but-i-will-fight-for-my-italy"]Luca Toni: Amauri Is Stronger, But I Will Fight For My Italy Place
    Italy striker Luca Toni is fearing for his place with the Azzurri after Amauri was granted Italian citizenship, and he has warned the Juventus man that it will be hard to get into the squad
    -goal.com
    [/url]

25. rizzuto123

rizzuto123 Member

May 3, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well once they got Snejder, Motta its pushed Zanetti to right back, there is no way Zanetti gets benched.