Your personal favourite All-Time Azzurri XI

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by dor02, Dec 1, 2006.

1. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This is not an XI that should contain the greatest Italian team to have ever played the game but players that you like. These are players that you have read great stories about, seen great footage of them in the past or you watched them live and they captured your imagination. You can pick an Azzurro from any era.

Explanations on your players are optional. Here's my team:

---------------- Zoff

---------------- Scirea
    Gentile --------- Cannavaro ------ Cabrini

Tardelli ----------- Monti -------- Gattuso

--------- Meazza -------- R Baggio
    ----------------- P Rossi

Zoff:The greatest Italian keeper and arguably the greatest of them all. He kept a clean sheet for 1,142 minutes and played until he was 41. He knew how to make great saves and to lead a team

Scirea:One of the greatest sweepers ever. Brilliant in offence and defence.

Gentile:My favourite defender ever. A great man-marker and a ruthless one at that. Who could forget when he marked Maradona in the 1982 World Cup?

Cannavaro: This year's hero. He really was a wall.

Cabrini:Italy has always been known for producing some of the greatest left-backs ever. He was a Juve player so that's why his display at Spain 82 stood out. A fantastic player on the left.

Tardelli:The complete midfielder and a brilliant celebrator of a goal.

Monti:The only oriundo in my team. He's a basically a Materazzi (a massive hack) and Pirlo (a ball distributor) put into one. A man who feared nobody and scared everyone.

Gattuso:He always provides the bite in midfield a team needs. With this team, I've got lots.

Meazza:A hero in the 30s, the greatest Italian talent until Rivera arrived. Played as centre-forward for Inter but he moved into the inside-right position for the Azzurri.

Rossi:The 1982 hero and the first footballer I had heard of. The first match I watched was a tape of the Italy-Brazil quarter-final. He really provided the necessary patriotism. Can anybody name another player who was suspended for match-fixing and came back like that?

R Baggio:The guy that saved our campaign at USA 94. Scored the necessary goals to reach the final and they were all great goals. Even at Italia 90, he brought many sparks to the team. Vicini should have persisted in him.

2. forzaitalia06

forzaitalia06 New Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Cool thread

My favorite XI would be

--------------------Buffon
    Zambrotta-----Baresi----Cannavaro-----Grosso
    ----------Gattuso---Pirlo---Albertini
    ---------------Zola------Baggio
    --------------------Vieri

Yes, Grosso! It is a favorite XI, and i really like the guy :) And also Vieri, when he was at his best of coarse.

3. tutto_azzurri

tutto_azzurri New Member

Mar 10, 2006
    toronto

that would kinda be like my team but no gattuso might have added maldini and i might have changed the formation. if i have time i will make one of my own up

4. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I like Grosso too but being a Juventino, I really wanted Cabrini in my team. Maybe if Cabrini hadn't play for Juve, Grosso would have made my team instead.

5. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Don't apologize for Grosso! He may not have been brilliant since, but in the World Cup he was absolutely outstanding. And anyone who has the balls to score against Germany, in Dortmund, in the 119th minute of a World Cup Semifinal can be on my team too! Good for you for picking him! After all, it's an Azzurri XI, plus he's had a great club career, even if it's been a pretty short one.