Your opinion of the Media Blackout?

Discussion in 'England' started by Arsenal_pwns_all, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Milos

Milos Member+

Sep 6, 2003
    Iacon
    Club:
    Coventry City FC
    I support the players decision to not talk to the press because I can under the point they were trying to make about too much criticism aimed at particular players, they are just sticking up for their team mates. There was a bloke from the Sun on the radio the other day trying to turn the situation against the players by saying that they were "Snubing the fans". What a load of shite, I couldn't really care if they talk to them or not, you can just read the reports on teletext.

Having said that I don't think it will make too much difference in the long run.

2. 0-Point

0-Point Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Quantum flux
    Lovin' it :cool:

BG

3. Tarka

Tarka New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    Maryland, US
    Haha, yea thats exactly how it is. I feel bad living in the states where we stole the name football from the English and turned it into nothing to do with the tite -_-. Honestly who cares if they speak to the media as long as England wins, it would of been nice to see Defoe after the game though I bet he was just ecstatic.

4. Pazarius

Pazarius New Member

Jan 10, 2004
    England
    Completely agree with you.

I don't see why anyone should care if the players don't talk to the media. Post match interviews never have anything interesting in them anyway, it's just the same tired old phrases again and again. The only thing that matters is what they do on the pitch.

'Snubbing the fans'? No, only the parasitic journalists who need these interviews to flog 'news'papers full of rubbish, no one else needs them.

5. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    I hope they continue with the blackout for the next game and the games after that .They only wanna bring down the team and manager just so they can have afew headlines .They have done the same to every other team in englands history.

6. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
  7. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's to be expected, he's an opportunistic worm.

This is some vindication for the players in my eyes, whenever Blatter goes off on something, it's usually a sign that he's full of it. He definitely has something against our national players, first Ferdinand, then the subs issue in friendlies and now this. There's no excuse for him to target England above all others.

8. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001

He made a big deal of the ferdinand case .But was silent on the issue of the Russian who failed a drugs test (guy who was centre of controversy in the wales games).

9. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yep there were also quite a few others, like Qadaffi's son who failed a test for steriods in serie A last season and was only given a few months ban. Same with Mohammed Kallon one of the biggest name African players.

Absolutely no quotes or pressure from Blatter to give a big ban for any of those players and they ****ing failed the test for performance enhancing drugs.

10. TruReds

TruReds New Member

Jun 12, 2004
    KL
    You must mean Yegor Titov of Spartak Moscow. He was handed a few matches' suspensions. Yeah, maybe the penalty should be more severe.

11. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Just seen Sky sports news and it was f'ckin sky sports who enginereed the interview with blatter.
    So the comments came straight from a Sky sports interview .
    He wouldnt have commented if they hadnt gone to him and directly asked him the questions .The comments he made werent exactly "condemnation" either as was claimed by the press.

12. Case

Case Member

May 5, 2004
    Cambridge, England
    The point of the blackout was to protect David James, which I totally agree with from the players point of view. He's their mate, and they responded appropriately. His performances did warrant his being dropped, but it was hardly like he was trying to make gross errors. It's just who he is as a keeper, he has a fantastic upside and can give commanding performances and make game-winning saves, but his downside is ever present, a howler is always just around the corner. In his heart he knows this, and all he can do is really try not to make these errors. Perhaps it's his trying too hard to prove himself thats causes certain errors, ie the decision making such as when he came out against Austria when JT had to clear on the line.

So for his teammates, they knew they were to face questions from the media that could be used against James, their colleague and friend. Your mate lost his job because whilst at his best he is the no1 choice, on the average day he is not. He is replaced by another one of your colleagues, who is also a mate. James tried to be the best, but perhaps simply was not able to overcome his downsides. How can anyone, say in the position of Beckham, Owen or Neville, be expected to talk on the subject when it's still raw? James's ego/confidence didn't need a battering by his friends stating publicly that he hasn't beeen good enough to do his job. Whilst it wouldn't have been fair to put those players in such a position, this wouldn't have stopped the media. The players have gone thru it enough to learn that the media will twist anything they say, and this was kinda a stand against that. As in "if u keep crossing the line then thats us done", not that it'll stop the players gettin the excessive slating that some sections of the media lash out, but they gotta at least try.
    And this goes to the fact they didn't play too well also, you can't criticise a player for lacking ability, only effort. True some players are lacking the latter, but a player has only so much talent and it's not their fault if the coach picks them. Look at it from an indiviual perspective, every1 thinks they're good enough, so they gonna take the chances given them. Try putting urselves in the players position, as people working in the football industry, then maybe u'll be less naive to such things.