Your opinion of the Media Blackout?

Discussion in 'England' started by Arsenal_pwns_all, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Arsenal_pwns_all

Arsenal_pwns_all New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    I really wanted to smack Sven's face when I heard about the media blackout. Who do these English players think they are? They performed badly against Austria, but instead of saying "yeah, we suck, but we will improve" they were saying "**** you! We don't suck; you are the ones that suck!". Sure, they won the match against Poland, but with this kind of attitude, how could they possibly improve? How could they possibly win the World Cup? They are no different from the Italians, who think that they are NEVER wrong. No wonder both of these teams have been underperforming so badly.

2. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    who cares??
    the press are scum .f'ck em.

They'll create impossible hype after a win.
    and go overboard with the criticism after a defeat or so called poor result.
    They are the team and fans worst enemy .
    the press can burn in hell for all I care.

3. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You must have no clue about the media in England.

The players did not play well but they were comfortably going to beat Austria until one individual made a mistake and the players lost their way. That was no excuse for certain tabloids, namely the Sun in particular, to go completely over-the-top and slaughtering everyone in sight and certain individuals in particular. It's been a vindictive pattern for years and makes things much more difficult for the players and for the manager.

England certainly aren't the first team to blackout the media after an over-the-top slating, other national teams have done the same thing.

They have a fair greater chance of winning the world cup without the media interfering and crowing over anything. Comparing them to Italy in any way, shape or form is inaccurate.

4. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ah, yes, the Sun. I lived in England in the mid-70s and we when we were learning about yellow journalism we were instructed to get a copy of the Sun as an example. Secretly of course, because of the Page 3 girls...

5. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    If the players cannot accept some well deserved criticism, then they are in the wrong job.

6. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    hey sweaty, the criticism wasn't all "well deserved", a lot of it was vindictive and over the top and even now after the Poland game they're still looking for a way to do more.

You can toddle off now and think about buying McBerti another plane ticket home.

7. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    The only reason they are looking to do more is because of the childish attitude of the English players.

8. Mikey10

Mikey10 Member

Sep 20, 2003
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The players have every right not to speak to the press if they don't want to.. The players don't owe the press a God damn thing... I backed the players with their potential boycott of the Turkey game last year, and I back this boycott as well. I applaud them for standing up for themselves..

9. Snuffles

Snuffles New Member

May 27, 2003
    UK
    I prefer fans and team vs. press to fans and press vs. team, who wants to be on the side of the press?

10. Robert25

Robert25 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I know the British press can be terrible, but a media Blackout? Tat reeks of a team eager to let slide a bad game against an inferior opponent.

11. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    good idea.

as Ronald said the press are scum and get all bent out of shape over minor things. They take things way too far and if you don't know the English press take your comments elsewhere because they are ruthless.

12. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The have every right not to speak to the media, The media are scum and dirtbags, In my opinion the media arn't even worth bothering with as they are low life scum. So well done lads for not speaking to the media :D

13. mixmastermatt

mixmastermatt Member

Nov 18, 2003
    St Albans, England
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    tosa des bichface are you still wasting valuable oxygen???

the media are scum!

i see all i need to see on the pitch, if i wanna read it i will check the clubs/ teams official sources and not some ********ing scum tabloid that will take words and twist it!

go england, this could be a much needed catalyst for us. oh well at least were not scotland (thank ********)

14. Powdered Water

Powdered Water New Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Keswick Putney local
    For me the only thing against the players would be that they COULD have handled it somewhat differently, while putting the same message across.

That said, media have their own interest. They're privately run businesses afterall - whatever they do the top of their list is to sell papers and to make business sense. Everything else is a secondary effect. I suppose I can't blame them for it as that's the framework of capitalism, but that still doesn't change the fact that they're not the almighty righteousness that they would like us to believe. For some of you, however, I'm sorry they seem to have already captured your souls.

So seeing this situation in that light and also considering the fact that some of the written media went out of proportion, I think the players do have a point. Perhaps not the best way to make the point, but it still stands.

England is my team afterall, it's what I love and support. I have no such feelings towards editors of written media. They can spin all their moral tales they want, claim themselves to be morally clean and always right and rubbish other people on that basis, but you'd be a fool to unknowingly become their right hand, or even worse, to crawl up their backside knowingly.

Well actually, do crawl up their backside if you wish... but I'll pass, thanks very much :D

15. Tarka

Tarka New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    Maryland, US
    I could care less what the media have to say as long as England play well and are in good health. The media are a bunch of leeches from what i've seen of them, its fair to criticize them for the Austria game, but there's certain boundaries, and once you pass that point youre just bashing the players. I found it funny when they refused to talk to them.

16. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    + we took 4 points from 2 away games and the media still have a go at the team pfft.

17. Tarka

Tarka New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    Maryland, US
    Funny how if England mess up its front page news on all the papers, here in the states the U.S could win a qualifier and it wont even make a small blurb in the back of the sports section hows that for media coverage XD.

18. Powdered Water

Jul 24, 2004
    Keswick Putney local
    Probably depends on which "football" it is! :rolleyes:

19. Robert25

Robert25 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    This is a question for England-based fans, was there a significant public level or anger or even outrage amongst most people over the Austira match? Because I'd like to know if it was just the media, or a more general trend.

I got to say too England is expected to do well, and of course they will meet criticism f they falter. Sure no team is perfect or can be perfect, but to whom much is given, much is expected.

20. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My opinion of the Media Blackout? Absolutely hilarious.

What I found particularly amusing was that idiot on Sun TV... sorry, Sky TV... when it was announced. He looked most indignant and started woffling about how 'the players have double standards because they want the media sometimes', blah, blah, blah.

Oh yeah... like the media wouldn't have double standards, would it! The media wouldn't creep around kissing the players backsides when they perform well, fawning all over them as if they're the second coming to get on their good sides would it. What a sanctimonious pr!ck!

Mind you, I am a bit annoyed because I sense the influence of a certain Neville G. in this matter... rather reminiscent of that talk about going on strike. The guys only been performing up to a reasonable level for the past year or so. A few good performances and he feels entitled to appoint himself as the shop steward. Maybe he should concentrate on his football a bit more.

21. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yeah that guy out of the Sun Newspaper is a twat!

22. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    The Sun are some of the biggest muppets around.
    They started celebrating victory over the french even before the game and it obviously backfired.
    These mugs will build the team up just so they can knock them down again.
    Thats the way they operate with everybody (not just footballers)

23. Mikey10

Mikey10 Member

Sep 20, 2003
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    As someone from Merseyside, I boycotted The S*n years ago, I suggest you all do the same thing. That paper is filth.

24. Powdered Water

Jul 24, 2004
    Keswick Putney local

Yes anger was there, generally, after Austria. And yes, footballers always face criticism and they have to take it as part of their job, as you imply.

But reading some people's posts here leads me to believe that some are missing the point. This is not about media criticising the players and then players not being able to take it.

It's about the degree to which some written media has gone over the 3 days running up to the game in Poland. As someone else pointed out earlier, you get to a point where constructive criticism ends and becomes a player bashing. The problem with some media is that their overblown heads think the public will eat anything they feed, and this time they went over the top.

The players' reaction was simply a response to that, and I'm with them on this 1.

25. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What does make me laugh is the massive egos of the journalistic scum, whinging about the players turning their backs on them and claiming that "they'll never beat the media".

The bottom line is that we will still go to football games and watch them on TV even if the media said nothing. All of these football journalists are parasites, feeding off the players and their achievements, that's why they're so vitriolic, the bitterness and envy is overwhelming.