Your most memorable US Nats match.

Discussion in '"US Supporters" Supporters Club' started by NorCalFootballer, Jun 25, 2004.

1. NorCalFootballer

NorCalFootballer New Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Northern California
    I would have to say mine was the friendly in Oakland against China in 2001. For some reason that match just sticks in my head. All of the Chinese fans there and the ridiculous backpass own goal by China. I just remember having a really good time there. It wasn't the most important US nats match ever, but it was fun.

What about everyone else?

2. demcmullan

demcmullan New Member

May 9, 2001
    New York
    I would have to say it is a tie between 2 games.

1. My first qualifier against Guatemala in RFK in september 2000. The infamous "building is shaking"....That ridiculous long ball that McBride touches in right after Eddie Lewis is sent off, and then the longest 20 minutes of my life.

1a. When they qualified for the World Cup in Foxboro and the players were partying on the field. Joe Max scores that late PK, and I'll never forget that picture where Agoos couldn't even watch it from the other end of the field. The best was the stadium announcer and his sense of drama, "We have some final scores. Trindad 1.........Honduras 0", and everyone knew what that meant.

3. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    even though we lost and didn't look so great, mine was july 4 1994 - we lost to brazil 1-0 in the world cup round of 16, but as the game wore on i realized that the US were entering a new era - it was the first time i felt like we were about to become competitive against any team on the planet - it will probably lose out, however, when the match comes that shows we have reached the top level

4. vflkirwan

vflkirwan Member

Mar 28, 2000
    North Jersey
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most Memorable Matches I've attended.
    1. 2-0 over Mehico at World Cup - what a great game. From the organization of the fans taking over the lower corner section, to the organization of the team taking out the Mehicans
    2. 2-1 over Jamaica at Foxboro in 02 WCQs - First NJB bus trip and what a great feeling it was knowing they qualified.
    3. 1-0 over Guatemala at RFK in 02 WCQs - From Rob's car breaking down twice to driving by the Guats players picking up the rental....
    4. 3-2 over Poturgal at World Cup - Would have been higher if I was with the majority of vocal fans at that game. Still a great win though!

On the flip side:
    1. US 1 Iran 2 - no words can describe how sh!tty I felt after that one. I saw Earnie in train station next day and didn't even get up to shake his hand.
    2 US 2 Honduras 3 - not a good trip...

5. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US-ROK in @ 2002 Gold Cup

DMB's strike in injury time was amazing, and it was my first USMNT match. It was the first time the Korean fans were out in number and their now popular chant that was all over the TV in WQ 2002 was preformed there.

6. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mine would all be in WC 2002 in no particular order (though I do love that Mexico game)

3-2 USA beating Portugal because know won expected it and as I watched I was so excited we were beating a "power" in a WC, plus I hate Portugal

2-0 USA beating Mexico because it was so sweet that we beat our rivals to advance ina WC, plus I got to rub it in the Mexican's faces at school for a whole year and still do to this day (whenever they beat us in gym class I always say that they were USA and we were Mexico and the other way around whe we win).

0-1 USA losing to Germany because I woke up early to watch it (the others I watched on replay on ESPN) and it was a great game and got people to really take us serious.

7. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since I've only been capped three times, a match that I've attended is easy...

La Guerra Fria.

In fact, I'd go so far as saying it's the best sporting event I've ever attended...and that includes college bowl and rivalry games, NBA and Stanley Cup playoff games and an Olympics...

Watched, on the other hand, is a more difficult matter...

8. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA-POR: That first half-hour...HOOOO-WEEEEE!!!
    USA-KOR: 69000 Koreans singing the WHOLE match. Still unbelievable
    USA-MEX: The changing of the guard

9. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Great way to put it, I think forever that should be the nickname of this game, like The Drive or The Fumble (sorry Browns fans, just an example). :D

10. McKinney_Burn

McKinney_Burn New Member

Jan 13, 2003
    Pizza Hut
    USA v Ajax send off match for Italy '90. My first 'cap'.

First Nats game I ever watched was US v Jamaica qualifier for Italy, then the greatness of the Caliguiri goal v T&T to get us in. Then they came to DC for me to see them in person. A 1-1 draw.

Won't ever forget getting off of the metro, with a small crowd of Ajax fans that had already begun chanting. My first taste of international soccer.

The ride has only gotten better since.

See everybody in Boston on Labor Day.

11. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    No question, USA 2-1 Jamaica, Foxboro, 10-7-2001. Not only because of the game itself and the aftermath when we'd realized we qualified, but everything else that went on that day--first Yanks game since 9/11, the supporters section was packed solid an hour and a half before kickoff with everyone chanting "nuke bin Laden" for minutes on end. Then we heard that we'd started bombing Afghanistan which turned the atmosphere up another notch. Even tho the rumors that Bush's speech announcing the airstrikes was going to be shown on the Jumbotron turned out to be false, in that atmosphere the Jamaicans never really had a chance (even if it was tied at 1-1 for most of the game).

Second would be our WC victories over Portugal and Mexico, unfortunately I didn't get to go to those. Also up there are La Guerra Fria (also wasn't there unfortunately), my first Yanks game (4-2 win over El Salvador in WCQ in 1997), and my first and still only time to see El Clasico in person (3-0 US victory at the 2000 Nike Cup in the Meadowlands).

12. andygus

andygus Member

Dec 13, 2001
    No. Va.

Flip, you have hit the nail on the head. I doubt anything will ever top Portugal for me--so unexpected and amazing.

The atmosphere in the Korea match was absolutely unsurpassed. I cannot think of a similar scene. Perhaps big games in Holland where everyone is wearing orange. However, the passion of those Koreans was just unreal. That drum that would start their chant still gives me goosebumps. It was an honor to be there and shout for our boys.

13. msfurnas

msfurnas New Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Birmingham
    Probably my first cap, the opening ceremonies of the 1996 Olympics. US vs. Argentina, 84,000+ at Legion Field in Birmingham, Alabama.

14. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Mine was US and Jamaica in the Road to Korea over US vs. Mexico in 2000 in the US Cup. Just because of the fact that I didn't know much about Sam's Army back in 2000.

15. Mark Coker

Mark Coker Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Seattle,WA, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    September 1997, Portland. USA 1-0 Costa Rica. Tab Ramos smashed one into the net directly behind Sam's Army.

One that's underappreciated in the list of matches would have to be Canada 0-3 USA from November 1997. Great pro-USA crowd in Vancouver that day. Likely one of the few times in history that the USA road support was louder that the home support. We also clinched our spot in the World Cup with the win, so it was a pretty good celebration with the players.

16. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    I was there for the Building is Shaking match against the Guats. Wow!!!!!

I also thought US 1:0 Argentina at RFK in 1999 was memorable. "Joooooe-Maaaaax Mooooooore!"

17. kylesoccer

kylesoccer New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    even though i've been to many, the best was still portugal from my apartment at 5am. walking out of my apartment with my shirt and scarf on the way to work in a portuguese neighborhood in cambridge with so many people hanging their heads. their heads came up long enough to see me and sink their heads a little lower. love the stories where we as fans are not afraid to show our true colors of red, white and blue through and through.

18. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Most memorable US matches seen live, in order:

USA 2-1 Jamaica - '02 WCQ, Foxboro, 10-7-2001 - Shortly after the match had ended the true fans who stuck around got to hear the great news that we qualified and to see the players celebrate on the field. It was as if we were all on the field, celebrating with the players, without barriers, without borders.

USA 2-0 Mexico - '02 WCQ Game #1, Columbus, 2-28-01 - So cold. So glorious. So cold. So much excitement from beginning to end. So cold. Shutout. Shutout. Shutout. New stadium. 1st WCQ game. Beginning of the changing of the guard. So beautiful.

USA 1-1 Ireland - Foxboro, 6-6-00 - Driving cold rain that was coming down sideways. Lightening crashing all around.

USA 0-2 Holland - Friendly, Foxboro, 5-19-2002 - WC '02 send-off match. Too much Orange, plenty of Red, not enough goals for our boys. I remember this one more for the 15 hour tailgate on a glorious, glorious Sunday that started way too early and ended way too late (5 hours before I had to be at work) and could've lasted another day.

19. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    2 Nov. 1997

USA 0 - Mex 0.

Still the most surreal environment I've been in. Hundreds of Mexicans around me chanting "U-S-A" as the game wound down.

Sachin

20. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

i was at that one... kirovski shoulda had a PK!!! :D

21. CelticOnFire

CelticOnFire New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    London right now
    Although I have not been to a game yet, that USA/Korea game from WC02 was great. I remeber sleeping after a late night in Paris, and having my dad wake me up with the game. I was cranky, so I just said Ill watch in a sec. Good thing I kept watching beucase Clint scored and Brad saved a PK.
    Also, the Mexico game in WC02 was awesome. It was better becasue I was in France, when the French crashed out. There was also a good amount of celebrations in France after every game.
    First Cap will be the Poland game.