Your lineup against Germany?

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by jd6885, Sep 22, 2009.

1. tobinheathfan13

tobinheathfan13 New Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, my 18 for the Germany game would be as such
    Nicole Barnhart
    Hope Solo
    Brittany Bock
    Rachel Buehler
    Lori Chalupny
    Amy LePeilbet
    Heather Mitts
    Brittany Bock
    Shannon Boxx
    Tina DiMartino
    Tobin Heath
    Angela Hucles
    Brittany Klein
    Heather O’Reilly
    Leslie Osborne
    Megan Rapinoe
    Lauren Cheney
    Abby Wambach

and my starting lineup would probably end up as

---------O'Reilly----Wambach------
    Heath---Dimartino---Boxx---Rapinoe
    Mitts--Buehler--LePeilbet--Chalupny
    -----------------Solo---------------
    Boxx playing defensive mid, O'Reilly under Wambach
    And Heath moving into attacking mid later in the game (and no, I'm not biased or anything :p)

And 3 things
    1. Does anyone else think putting Cheney and Wambach up top is a bad idea? They're both big target forwards, I think O'Reilly would be better to run underneath Wambach and get her the ball, perhaps Heath too if Pia wants to try that out during the game...

2. During an interview after Carolina's game vs Duke, Anson Dorrance was asked if Harris and Heath would miss any more games, and he responded saying "Heath will be gone with the national team again to play Germany", but noted nothing about Harris having the chance to go with them? Is there some kind of agreement letting Harris come back to UNC...a little strange...

3. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Germany is a very physical team. When I was thinking about subs that could come in, I realized the only midfielder that could really dominate at defensive mid vs Germany is Boxx...any other opinions on this? (and IMO i don't think Bock is really ready to take on this position)

2. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    i just cannot fathom why people would pick Osborne over boxx. Boxx had an excellent season with the sol. I think she will be a great asset in mid.

3. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    If this is correct, the Osborne discussion is moot-- she can't play if she's injured. Also, Tobinheathfan13, as an observation, Bock is so nice you have sent her twice. So I think you are in the enviable position of adding two players to your roster. Have fun!

I'm not happy with Wambach~Cheney on top, which is why I think Arod will go and play. She plays better for Pia than for the Breakers--but this will be a big trip for her; she needs a solid performance.

The responsibility of reserve keepers is to sit on the bench and cheer loudly, unless something happens to Solo. Harris got to show her stuff at camp, and as a big fan I'm delighted she got called up. It would be bad manners to borrow the starting keeper from the number one college team in the country if there is virtually no chance you are going to play her. Barring a camp injury to Barnhart or Solo, Harris is headed home (for this year).

4. tobinheathfan13

Aug 30, 2008
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

....right...im losing it. thanks for the catch. I suppose I would add Whitehill and Rodriguez back onto the roster then.

But to be a big time player you need to be solid anywhere, everywhere, and at all times (i think this was the issue with Casey Noguiera not getting called up too). Although I do cut ARod a bit of slack for the drama with DiCicco.

5. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ARod is just not good enough to play with the nats. Her touch and passing are HORRIBLE!

6. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    I don't think I have enough information to argue this point.

I know she garnered mixed reviews as a college player. I have only seen her play twice (2007 NCAA in TX). On that weekend, what I saw was a player with great off-ball movement, explosive speed, excellent read of the run of play, and a real hunger for the back of the net. On that weekend, she looked as good as any striker in the college game, and more mobile and saavy than most. Based on that exposure, I still really like her. Its a big hop from college to WNT, and her year with the Breakers was certainly underwhelming. We'll see if she goes to Germany, and if so, how she does. For myself, I'm reserving judgement and wishing her the best... Our team Needs someone like that gal who showed up in TX.

7. soccerreigns

soccerreigns New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    yea i agree...supposedly pia told players that people she called in during the season would be players that have shown well in the WPS. BUT thats not entirely true b/c there are several in that did not play well this year with their team with AROD being one of those however I really like her and think she can be quite dangerous.

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I think ARod will get time, I just don't think she's earned it. Cheney is playing as a target forward at UCLA (unless Ellis has shifted things again). She has good movement and ball/passing skills. The difference her play made when she came in during the Canada game (well, one in particular) was striking to me.

The ARod of 2009 is a shadow of the ARod in 2007. If it was all b/c of DiCicco, then why was her senior year at USC also subpar? I think she can still work things out in Boston if she wants to do that and if we were talking about WPS line-ups, I'd still want to see her get more pt. But this is the WNT.

9. NYC ugly

NYC ugly Member

Aug 7, 2000
    Very near my computer
    With Pia's dodgy player selections, I cannot see the US finishing better than 4th place in Germany WC. Is she really trying her best to win this thing. Doesn't look like it right now. Germany Champs ...again, Brazil second, Sweden or England third. :( With Japan and North Korea vastly improved, this next WC could easily turn into a nightmare for US soccer.

10. tobinheathfan13

Aug 30, 2008
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    really? I disagree. First of all, we don't have Tarpley or Kai in camp (both to injuries), IMO either of them could easily solve the problem of finding a forward to work with Abby. Secondly, Rampone and Markgraf are both out of camp as well. If both of them came back, I'm sure the back line of Rampone, Markgraf, LePeilbet, and Chalupny would be dominating. Then you look at our pool of midfielders that is loaded with talent with O'Reilly, Heath, Boxx, and Rapinoe. Plus, we've got loads of talent on the bench.

Besides, this is a friendly, and a great time to try out new an inexperienced players. If you ask me, we have a great shot at the WC if we keep training and everyone does their part.

11. Ads13

Ads13 Member

Aug 10, 2008
    I disagree as well. When the US U-20 team won the World Cup last year; I watched as much of the event as I could. I think that US squad, at times, looked quite dominating. They had technique that I don't see in some of the senior WNT players. It was really exciting to see the way they controlled the play, passed the ball around, etc. By 2011, I expect more than a few of them will be getting a chance to play with the full squad. Hopefully that will be a renaissance of sorts for Pia and the current players.

12. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This may be a friendly but something must be proven to the cocky-ass Germans who have said that Germany and Brazil are the two best teams in the world (in disregard to the world FIFA rankings) and a dis to the Americans. The Germans IMO, have gotten way too cocky over the last few years and yes, they are defending WWC Champions, but they must be taken down a notch. I have said before, the Brazilians aren't the ones we should dislike and fear the most, it's the Germans.
    So I do hope the US does take this game serious.

13. tobinheathfan13

Aug 30, 2008
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely agree with what you say. I wasn't trying to say that the US shouldnt take this game seriously, but more that they should try out new players in different positions. I think we can all agree that everyone on the US squad takes every game seriously, its just a matter of which players are the ones Pia gives a look at.

14. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    And I agree with you as well. I would love to see let's say a Brittany Klein get in some as well as Brittany Bock and Tobin Heath and let's see how they deal with pressure playing against a top world class team. Let's see if a defense comprised of Mitts, Buehler, LePeilbet, Chalupny can hold against Germany and maybe sub in Bock to see if she can play the D that she played with the LA Sol.

But under no circumstance treat this as anything friendly. We go at them to crush them from first whistle.

15. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007

Can i just say, I am so glad someone finally said this. I have been thinking this forever. The ego of the Germans and their fans is off the chart. I am sick of it. Honestly it has been so long since they played us, i just do not know how German fans can be so sure they will win. The most ridiculus part is how they can blow off wins ay the olympics and various friendlies merely because they were not the world cup. In fact if I recall Germany had a cakewalk last WC so using that as their proof of superior dominance is suspect.

16. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Would be interested in knowing where you've picked up that impression. It seems contrary to the opinions I've been reading on e.g. German football forums, but perhaps you've found other sources? I have to say, in most of the sites I visit regularly, there's been little to no discussion of the friendly at all; cf. this, where the only comment has been to guess that Kristine Lily will be playing for the US.

Is it the fact that they're not (yet?) getting particularly excited about a friendly which appears to be incredibly important to the opposing side that's taken as a sign of arrogance?

17. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'll try to answer that. I don't know if you can pin point it to some concrete article or blog or comment by a German player or coach although there have been comments from German coach in the past that I've read that rub me the wrong way and from what I have read, that the Brazil vs Germany game was billed as a game between the two best teams in the world. It's just a feeling I get from them. Maybe it's our American mentality that if someone feels they are better then we are, it rubs us the wrong way and we must prove to them who is better.

So if they don't think that a game against the US is important enough but playing Brazil is, then IMO, that is a diss to the Americans.
    I'm sorry, but there is something about the German National Team, their whole mentality that rubs me the wrong way. IMO, they feel they are superior and we must prove to them that they are not.
    It's not something you can explain sometimes. It's a feeling you get.

18. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It might be a feeling you get, MRAD12, but it isn't a feeling I get. Or, at least, not anymore than comments made by USA WNT at various points. And your sample size may be too small to accurately judge things.

MRAD, how do you respond when people talk about the "arrogance" of ND or UNC players and/or fans? I mean, it isn't like ND has left the 2nd place NCAA trophy sitting on the field twice or anything. And some of my fellow Heels can be rather insufferable.

19. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes, I know, I know. I'm sure there are those that think the same of our National Team after running around by the Brazilians who were clearly upset at losing the final in the Olympics with the US flag draped around the backs. And as a fan of both UND and UNC, I have met people from both sides who can be arrogant.
    I have no animosity toward the Germans. I respect their football. Just commenting from a a competitive angle.

But I think many of you will agree that there is something to prove in this game, "friendly" or not.

20. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    So if I'm reading you right, what you're saying is that you have no factual basis for your antipathy? Fair enough, in that case, but that makes it a whole different discussion.

21. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What kind of facts do you need to feel that someone looks or acts cocky. Do they actually have to say it in order for it to be factual or can certain mannerisms be all the proof you need to feel that way?

Look, we're getting way off the subject here. The German WNT has won the last two WWC and have a right, if they do, to feel they are the best. However the US has won the last two Olympics and has a right to feel their #1 ranking is also correct.

I'm not trying to make this a big deal. I just think this is more than just a friendly and I feel both teams will want to prove something.

22. mingyung

mingyung Member

Jun 7, 1999
    I think Smulan is trying to point you that you may be projecting your own feelings onto others. I think it's fine for you to say "I feel that . . .," but it is also reasonable, especially in a forum under the umbrella "News and Analysis," for someone else to ask if you have evidence for your assertions other than your own feelings. And, in your intial post about "cocky-ass" Germans, the strength of your language invited curiosity and, since you are a respected poster around here, some assumed you might have reasons other than feeling to support your description.

Or, at least, I did.

1 person likes this.
  23. mingyung

mingyung Member

Jun 7, 1999
    And back to analysis . . .

I know she isn't flashy and she is not the most fleet of foot, but I still get surprised why so many people do not rate Stephanie Cox more highly. She is clearly the best left back the WNT has right now after Chalupny. Dowling I like, but she has not been tested at this level (I hope we do get to see her soon). We have strong center backs, enough to cover for injury, and with the emergence of LePeilbet I just don't worry so much about the future here. If Chalupny goes down, I suppose we can stick someone out on the left who would be adequate (even Heath would do in a pinch), but Cox makes my roster (I'm not sure about Sundhage's) over Bock, over Whitehill, and even over Beuhler. Cox is an instinctive defender and a good crosser and she uses her positioning well to compensate for lack of speed. She played very well in her last game for the WNT. Beuhler is flashier maybe (also NOT fast), but I prefer my defenders to do the job without fuss (someone whose instinct is not to mow people down if they look like they're getting behind you). And, Cox is fleet enough, with some attacking sense, to get up and down the sidelines just as much as someone like Mitts. Mitts is obviously a lot faster, but I'm not sure that ever helped her much in terms of contributing to the attack.

BTW, do I think there might be a stronger, more impactful, left back out there somewhere? Sure. But when I see what's on the roster, if Chalupny doesn't go to Germany or gets injured, I start Cox.

24. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Just to clarify. My comments were not toward a nationality of people. It was a remark on my perceptions on the mannerisms of a team and a couple of stories like the one allegedly by the German media about Germany and Brazil being the two best teams in the World. (And BTW, I'm not the only one who's commented on this before). Calling this a dual of the best when the US is the Olympic Champion and FIFA ranked #1 can be taken be people as a dis to the US National Team. Thus, maybe giving the USWNT a little extra motivation for this "friendly". Yes, these are all my opinions, but maybe some other people feel the same way.

From a WPS website article on the game between Germany and Brazil:

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/Home/news/general/090422-germany-brazil.aspx

My intentions were not to insult. Just an opinion that this in my eyes is not just another friendly and my guess is it will not be treated as such by at least the Americans.

Anyway, moving on.

25. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mingyung, thanks for getting us back to discussions of players in this N&A thread about players and lineups.

I think the fact that Chalu is such a good player that Cox fades in comparison and folks (for whatever reason) don't think to compare her to others (ie Buehler) where she would end up looking better. Also, sometimes smooth players tend to fade into the background. She does serve a nice ball. And she's still relatively young.

If Cox were even half a step faster, I think Pia would move Chalu back into midfield. Has she developed enough strength to fight through challenges by bigger players?

I do think Buehler had some shocking mistakes (or shortcomings) during the course of the WPS season. Her lack of height is problematic for a CB. Her lack of pace is a problem on the outside.

I'll admit to being one that prefers Dowling to Cox (but I mainly want Dowling as right side cover/replacement for Mitts).

Perhaps there can be a rivalry thread for those who want to bitch about cockiness w/o looking in the mirror. (although, I think a discussion of the difference btwn confidence & cocky is warranted)