Your Ideal England XI and Formation

Discussion in 'England' started by KumarsS, Jul 15, 2007.

1. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I liked the post made that said that flexible formations are the way forward. I'd love to see England play like that, but Owen and Crouch simply aren't versatile enough. Both can only play as strikers right at the top of the tree. If one can play elsewhere, it's Owen. Crouch simply isn't good enough running with the ball. He's slow and ponderous and his passing ability over 10 yards is horrible......

2. owen41099

owen41099 New Member

Apr 28, 2002
    Powder Springs, GA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Perfect world:

Robinson/Richards-Rio-Ledley-Shorey/Hargreaves-Beckham-Gerrard-Downing(in a diamond with Beckham and Downing on the wings)/Rooney/Owen

Real world:

Robinson/Neville-Rio-Terry-ACole/Hargreaves-Beckham-Gerrard-JCole or Lamps/Rooney/Crouchinho

Don't really see a place for Lampard if Hargreaves starts, and now that he's with United, it's hard to see him left out much...he pairs better with Stevie in the center of midfield anyway imo, so does Carrick, but Carrick is more suspect at holding the ball - Stevie would be wasted covering for him all game.

Naturally, I can't wait for Neville to retire but recognize that he's likely to continue as the incumbent rb as long as he decides he wants to play internationally. It will be interesting to see what influence Sven has, though, on McSven...maybe he can even bend the tomato face's ear and convince him to pick vassell as a starter:D if Owen is unfit:(

3. not_too_xabi

not_too_xabi New Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    ----------Robinson-----------

Neville--Ferdinand--Terry--Bridge

-----------Carrick------------

Beckham---------------Taylor

-----------Gerrard-----------

-----Rooney-----Crouch-----

Substitutes: Green; Richards, Lescott, Shorey, A. Cole; Hargreaves, Bentley, Lampard, J. Cole; Johnson, Defoe, Bent.

Not unlike many of the XI we've seen so far, with the exception that my left side gives Bridge and Taylor the chance to perform some wondrous overlapping plays (which we've seen them do, for their respective teams, on the club level).

The Coles will have to settle for the bench as the cagey veteran Bridge and the inspiring playmaker Taylor get a run in the side. Bridge is one of the most underrated crossers of the ball as a defender. Taylor's the English Xabi Alonso, able to make solid defensive plays while taking on offensive duties from a deep midfield position.

Bentley will come on for Beckham as a 60th-minute substitute if the attack has yet to get going. Hargreaves will replace Beckham in the 70th if England are up.

Owen's not on my bench, but Defoe and Bent are given chances to shine as halftime substitutes for Crouch.

4. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Or maybe Rooney needs to show more discipline and stop dropping back all the time? Or realise when Gerrard is moving inside and go somewhere else?

5. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    And I think it's quite telling that no-one in this thread so far has mentioned Lampard as a starter.

6. sportscribe

sportscribe Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Neville------Ferdinand-----Terry------A. Cole

------------------Carrick--------------------

-------Gerrard---- Scholes----- Lampard---

---------------------------J. Cole-----------

------------------Rooney------------------

variant of formation:

Neville------Ferdinand-----Terry------A. Cole

------------------Carrick--------------------

------------Gerrard----------Lampard---------

Beckham--------------------------------J. Cole

--------------------Rooney--------------------

7. jimxdfa

jimxdfa New Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    ------------ robinson--------------
    neville-----rio------terry-----a.cole
    -----hargreaves----carrick--------
    -------------gerrard--------------
    --lennon-----------------j.cole---
    -------------rooney--------------

or

-------------robinson-------------
    neville-----rio------terry-----a.cole
    -------------hargreaves-----------
    -------gerrard-------lampard------
    --lennon------------------j.cole---
    --------------rooney-------------

foster or carson can take robinsons spot for all i care. since midfield is more of a strength than forward i would try a 451/433 instead of a 442. unless owen returns to form, no forward deserves a place ahead of any of the midfielders. crouch is good as a sub if things arent working out. lately beckham deserves a spot but not in this formation. i would also think about trying bentley in lennon's spot.

8. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    lol people

rooney is not an out and out striker and lampard is shit

9. jimxdfa

jimxdfa New Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    yeah, yeah, lampard is shit. how often do we have to hear it. i'm not a huge fan of his, and i would be fine with it if he left chelsea, but calling him shit is ridiculous. he works his butt off and scores goals. not lately for england but how many midfielders score 20 every year for their club? and his 12 in 55 for england isnt too bad. basically the same as gerrard. and dont worry, im not saying lampard is better or equal to gerrard. gerrard is definitely a better overall player. but lampard is still better than jenas, dyer, downing, parker, richardson, barton and almost every other midfielder england can choose from. and he wasnt in my first choice team anyway.

sure rooney isnt an out and out striker. but there were plenty of games last year that united played him up top by himself in a 451 and he performed well. why cant he replicate that for england. sticking to this rigid believe that england and english teams have to play a 442 is just narrow minded. and until someone steps up and produces consistantly at striker for england i will believe that a 451/433 with only rooney up top is best for them.

10. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Rooney is not at his best as a lone striker for England. We've seen it time and time again. He needs space to roam, and use his creative abilities, without having to win the ball against 3 defenders.. England, when at full strength, play best in a 4-4-2, with a workhorse type of holding midfielder (hargreaves).. Also, United played him up front by himself in games because frankly, they had to, with their shortage of strikers who were either injured, or not in the game due to their quality..You can't compare the way he is used by club to country..

11. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    lampard scores at chavski cus hes usually waiting outside the box and is the second most advanced man through the middle behind drogba

hes shite for england, and his passing has become very average like his pace and set piece ability

he barely passes forward anymore and shanks most of his free kicks, gerrard has been and always will be twice the player lampard is

rooney works uptop for man yoo because they have wingers who can actually use their pace and trickery and counter with speed

we have frikking lennon who is very average, all he really has is pace for the most part and i still dont think cole is the answer for the left

rooney would do better behind 2 strikers like my formation suggests as hes a play maker almost and if hes lieing deeper has has the chance to do more ahead of him than say passing to peter crouch when hes uptop

12. hammer slammer

hammer slammer New Member

Jul 24, 2007
    --------------------robinson-----------------------
    ---------------rio------------------terry-----------
    g nev----------------------------------------a cole

--------------------hargreaves--------------------

becks----------------gerrard-----------------j cole

----------------------lamps-----------------------

---------------------rooney-----------------------

13. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The usual garbage.

14. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    so u think lampards an elite central midfielder then?

thats why hes done nothing or england since 04

lennons pretty average too, if he diddnt have pace hed have nothing in his game

15. canandaigua

canandaigua Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Canandaigua, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I would like to see the following:

Foster

Neville-----Terry-----Ferdinand-----Cole

Beckham-----Hargreaves-----Gerrard-----Cole

Rooney-----Bent​

16. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Who has?

Depending on who Eng is playing:

4-4-2

Neville - King/Rio - JT -Bridge/Cole

Lennon-Hargreaves - Lamp/Gerrard(1 sits in a 4-4-2)--Cole J

Rooney---Owen(Bent when he is injured

4-3-3

Richards -King/Rio - JT -Bridge/Cole
    -------------Hargreaves-----
    ----Gerrard---------
    -------------------Lamp
    Cole J----Bent----Rooney(in a free to roam role-not stuck wide like tried earlier)

17. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That 4-3-3 won't work...

--------------Robinson----------------

Neville---Rio-------Terry--------Cole

---------------Hargreaves-----------

Becks/Lennon------------------J. Cole

----------------Gerrard--------------

---------------Rooney
    -----------------Owen

It's that's simple.....This is the formation and lineup that gives England the greatest chance to succeed..

18. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

Well of course yours work better, you have a goalkeeper:eek::D.

I think we have the midfield and backline for a 4-3-3, if Gerrard maintains some positional disciplane, but it is not best suited for Rooney or Owen, why I'd go with Bent in that formation. Not saying at all that the 4-3-3 should be the first choice lineup but against some better teams with dangerous midfields, could be an advantage to go tighter and more compact in the middle or just change tactics and get width from the fullbacks, and let Rooney and J.Cole roam and interchange a bit.

In a 4-4-2 though I have come to the conclusion that only one of Gerrard or Lamp can play at the same time, and though it is the fashion to dump on Lampard, don't really think Gerrard has shown any more for England of late than Lampard, so just go with who ever is in better form. And I will still take speed on the right first.

The main issue is still McSven though.

19. Poborsky

Poborsky Member

2 Ideas I think would work. Both are relatively defensive, but not stiflingly so.

Lineup 1
    ----------------------------Rooney------------------
    --------- J.Cole--------------------------------Lennon
    ----------------------------Gerrard------------------
    ------------------ Carrick---------Hargreaves---------
    --------- A. Cole-----Ferdinand----Terry-------Neville-
    --------------------------Robinson-------------------

Logic: This lineup would presumably make it difficult for England's opponents to attack, since Lennon and J. Cole would pin back the fullbacks and the trio of Hargreaves, Carrick and Gerrard could dominate possession. I don't know if this lineup could score enough goals, though. Against lesser teams, a 2nd striker (Bent if he's playing well (and playing, since Keane, Berbatov and Defoe might limit his playing time) unless Owen is playing at his full potential and fitness and if neither are happening, then it's Crouch) subsituted for Carrick would probably be advisable.

Lineup 2

--------------------------- Bent----------------
    --------- J.Cole-----------------Rooney---------
    -----------------------Gerrard----------Beckham
    -------------------------Hargreaves------------
    --------- A. Cole------Ferdinand---Terry---Richards
    -------------------------Robinson--------------

Logic: It might seem odd that I believe Beckham's inclusion should mean Neville goes to the bench, since they have such a good understanding on the right-side, dating back the their days at United, but watching Beckham star against Brazil, it was clear that his days of attacking like a winger (Some will say he was never fast, but he still ventured forward way more than he does now) are past. Still, his effectiveness was obvious. Since England can't just get Daniel Alves or Emanuel Eboue to switch nationalities, Richards' speed and Bent's natural inclinations to move to the right, as well as the freedom Rooney and Gerrard will have due to Hargreaves' ability to cover ground will have to do.

Common Points Logic: Joe Cole has to play. Rooney and Hargreaves are also necessary picks. If King is healthy and playing well, he can replace Ferdinand if people want, although I think Rio is probably a better fit next to Terry. Ashley Cole is my left-back, but only because I think he's likely to play more than Wayne Bridge, who is as good a player as Cole these days.