Your Favorite Ireland Moment

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by theworm2345, Apr 20, 2006.

1. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Well, I wasnt really a fan when this happened (I was 3 months old) but my favorite has to be David O'Leary's penalty and Packie stopping Timofte, what about you?

2. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
    Stuttgart. Euro 88.

3. 2keane

2keane New Member

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Macateer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Voodudejnr

Voodudejnr New Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Keane vs Germany 2002, kept us in the Tournament

5. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    I was only about to turn 4 when O'Leary hit that penalty so I can't use that one. Either Houghton vs. Italy in '94 or McAteer againsshhht the Dutch in '01.

6. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Me2!!!!!!

7. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    happy days i watched it in spain with my family....very exotic at the time like.

8. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    I have vague memories of the shootout against Romania, but at this stage I don't know if it's a real memory or just that I've seen it so many times that I've turned it into a fake memory in my head. If it is fake, I've also invented the fact that I was sitting on the living room floor with my back to the couch at the time :)

Other than that, McAteer's goals against Holland in the WC '02 qualifiers stand out (both of the matches in general, really).

9. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I watched it with my inlaws to be oh no wait I still haven't married her :D

My favourite too.

10. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Ray Houghton's header against England and then hanging on for the rest of the game.

Packie's save in the shootout and O'Leary knocking in the next. I was sure he was going to miss. Also we played well in the quarter final against Italy and people were not sad when we lost because it was such a great time in the country.

Also beating Italy in Giants Stadium. Special times.

11. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    To tell the truth, my favorite Ireland moment that I can remember seeing during a match is Robbie Keane's penalty against Spain (the one match that really ignited my interest). I didnt watch the Germany game, or the Saudi game, but I was at my grandparents house, and later my cousins couldnt understand why I was so upset :(.

My favorite moment since then is Given saving Okkas' penalty to keep the hopes we still had then alive

12. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    While Houghton's goal against Italy, O'Leary's pk/Bonner's save, Stuttgart '88 never fail to cheer me up, I'll keep my choices to moments I can clearly remember.

I've chosen my three favourites in no particular order:

McAteer vs Holland, 2001:

I was with a crowd, listening to this on RTE radio. Gabriel Egan's commentary will forever me etched in my mind: "Ohhhh yes! Jason McAteer his paydirt for Ireland"

Full Time vs Holland, 2001:
    It was at this point when I finally started to believe that Ireland would be going to the 2002 World Cup.

Keane vs Germany:
    Watched it on television, went mad when the goal went in. A loss and I'm sure we would have been eliminated, as Cameroon and Germany could have played out a draw to ensure that both would go through. Robbie Keane changed all that and kept "Irish World Cup hopes alive."

Hon. mention to the pk against Spain, but since we ended up losing that match I don't look back on it as favourably as these three.

Also, even though I only watched it on French Television, seeing the Irish suporters invade the Stade de France was spectacular.

13. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Saw a video on youtube that reminded me of another hilarious moment, though not directly related to following the team as such.

The University here doesn't have frats, instead campus life is based around societies, which are generally departmental (German society, Biology society - and I'm part of the history society - for example). Every term there is a mixer crawl, in which we (the students) proceed from mixer to mixer all around campus. I was with a bunch of friends from the music society as we were walking through an overpass from one building to another, and they started singing Yellow Submarine. I sang along, only with "A team of Gary Breens" lyrics. Pretty soon, they caught on and sang it with me. When we got to the room we were going to, about 50 people picked it up - none of whom had ever even heard of Gary Breen.

Class.

14. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Ha! Quality story.

15. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Link?

16. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
    Agreed. Funny as, particularly as on that particular tourney they'd thought they'd win.

Oh, hang on:D

17. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  18. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
  19. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Couldnt really hear :(, they cant say Gary Breen, they say Gaaa Bwee

20. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Have you ever heard Koreans try to speak english? That's the best you will get.

21. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I have 2 and half hours of evidence showing otherwise (though this guy was like 60)