Your Dream Team with current players

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Dynamoloko17, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I agree that they played a modified 4-3-3 because Ronaldinho usually roams the pitch but I wouldnt call it a 4-2-3-1

When Ronaldinho moves into the center, Etoo usually goes left and Giuly moves in from the right wing to become a 2nd striker.

Etoo.........Giuly
    ....Ronaldinho

Ive seen so many goals where Ronnie runs throug the middle of the pitch and passes it to either Etoo or Giuly. So if anything Id say its a 4-3-3 and a transitional 4-3-1-2 formation.

2. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    And I would have thought that Ronaldhino and Deco would struggle to play in the same team.

Anyway, this thread was just for fun. I picked some players I'd like to see play together. Teso felt the the need to over analyze it because he didn't like that I chose a few Liverpool players.

3. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    :eek: I didn't even realize you had them in your team together - wasn't trying to take a shot at you.

4. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    If Riquelme and Ronaldinho would be so great together, then why did Barcelona not even attempt it? Surely having two of the best playmakers on the same team would have great?

I felt the need to comment because you selected players and a system that would not work, regardless of whether they played in the real/dream world.

5. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Thats because they signed Deco. Otherwise, I'm sure they would have given it a try. I know it didn't work out for Riquelme the first time he was at Barcelona, but since then he has shown what a great player is at Villareal.

If Ronaldhino can play in the same team as playmakers like Xavi and Deco, why not Riquelme?

6. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Why sign him if they could have used Riquelme? It has already been discussed that Riquelme requires the entire side to be created around him. However, that isn't even your main problem. It is the selection of Henry.

7. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Deco and Xavi had to add add a defensive element to their game. I dont think Requelme could do this. Unless Requelme has liscence to roam free, he is pretty much useless.

8. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Because Xavi and Deco are fundamentally different players from Riquelme. If you watch Riquelme's teams you start to realize just how much he holds the ball - a huge amount. Xavi's not that type of "playmaker" - he's very much a box to to box player. And Ronaldinho tends to dribble at people, whereas Riquelme spends a lot of time dribbling laterally until he's happy enough with a pass he wants to make. Deco doesn't do that either. Riquelme reminds me a lot of Veron in his prime, actually. (Although Seba was a better defender.) He needs to have all the play go through him, or else he's not as effective.

9. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    I'm sure they would try it, but it so happens that they have the maximum amount of non-EU players in their squad. That's why they loaned out Saviola.

10. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    Ronaldinho was pretty much the same before he got to Barca. I have always prefered the Cruijff or Di Stefano type though. Both leader and front soldier at once.

11. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I agree; but Ronaldinho has more than enough one vs. one skill to be able to contribute heavily despite not being the focal point of the offense. Riquelme doesn't. If he's not running the team, he's not a great asset. Ronaldinho was inconsistent for PSG, but not as bad as Riquelme would be in the same role.

12. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    True, Riquelme will never be the player Ronaldinho is. He can however learn to be the same type of player.

Co Adriaanse has a great word for these players. Postboy-players.

13. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Why try something that would fundamentally not work?

14. marlowe

marlowe New Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Prague, Czech
    Adriano-Henry
    Robben-Ronaldinho-Zidane-Kaka
    Heinze-Terry-Kompany-Cafu
    Cech

15. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    And you would know this how? Anyway there's no harm in trying...

16. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My dream team

------------- Adriano -------------
    Ronaldinho ---------------- Juaquin
    --------------------- Xavi --------
    ---------- Gerrard ----------------
    ----------------------------------
    A. Cole -- Nesta - Puyol - Zambrotta

Big strong skilled target man, two brilliant playmakers flanking him, someone to control the flow and distribute the ball, someone win the ball and threaten with long range shots, and a fast, strong and extremely skilled back line that can both lock down in defense and move into the attack.

Unbeatable.

17. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004

Im assuming Makalele got sent off. :p

18. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he's a bit old for my tastes. Gerrard will do just fine, an is much more of a threat with long shots.

19. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    No, I meant that you only have 9 players on your team.

20. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL!!!! I completely missed that. Allow me to fix it.

------------- Adriano -------------
    Ronaldinho ---------------- Juaquin
    --------------------- Xavi --------
    --------- Gerrard -----------------
    ------------------ Vieira ----------
    ----------------------------------
    A. Cole -- Nesta - Puyol - Zambrotta
    ------------- Casillas -------------

That should add a little more bite to the midfield.

21. acmilan_barcelona

acmilan_barcelona Nou Camp-San Siro

May 11, 2002
    Barcelona Monteserat
    Strong formation Greddy, how your formation be if you replaced Viera with Essien and may try to go with two front runners in Adriano and Sheva. i Feel Essien will link the defence and attack well , only problem is you already have another roving midfielder in Gerrard, both players want to be up and down, you might as well lack a defensive mid-holder to close down space. I think that`s were Viera`s value rises.

22. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I am required to use the now infamous phrase yet again:
    You need a ball winner in midfield.

23. scorpio81

scorpio81 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    _______________shevchenko

___ronaldinho______kaka
    _________________ballack_________joaquin
    ________________makelele

heinze______carra_______lucio______zanetti

_________________casillas

shevchenko as the complete forward - who has good ball control, a great first touch, comfortable with both feet AND his head...

ronaldinho and kaka as roving midfielders without much responsibility defensively to shackle them...

joaquin is my best pure winger in the game - somebody who can dribble, has speed, can cut and and also deliver an excellent cross... and is also built powerfully

ballack as the two way midfielder in his best position where he can run from deep and be an aerial threat in the box, use his great range of passing skills and also provide steel in the midfield with his defensive capabilities...

makelele as the man with the purely defensive role, to tidy things up in their own half and relieve ballack of his defensive capabilities to an extent...

heinze who acc to me is the best LB in the game on current form...

zanetti "" "" RB "" ""

carra as the stay-at-home grit and defensive lionheart in the centre, with lucio who is strong in his reading of the game, tackling and also in the air, but most importantly the perfect foil to carra because of his ability to bring the ball out of defense comfortably...

casillas is acc to me the best shot stopper in the game, but loses out to cech and buffon as the best keeper only because of his relative uncertainty on crosses and corners... this is fine with the aerial capabilities of carra and lucio in open play, and the added prescence of ballack to defend set pieces...

have fun breaking this team down, and also containing them... :cool:

24. impalemeplz

impalemeplz Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Sydney
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    not with a dream team :p

newayz my 2 teams as follows with the first team being current players in their prime :p

kahn
    cafu, nesta, campbell, maldini
    figo, vieira, davids, zidane
    bergkamp
    ronaldo

2nd team with current players in current form.

buffon
    kromkamp terry dellas cole
    robben vanbommel lampard ronaldinho
    rooney
    sheva

i know robben is a left winger but he isnt beating out ronaldinho ;) (who isnt really a left winger)

25. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Then you belong in a funny farm. ;)