Your Choice ? and who will it be

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by Barna Bee, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Barna Bee

Barna Bee New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    London
    With the news today that McCarthy is having secret talks witht he FAI , it very much looks as though he will be gone by the weekend.

2 questions

Who would you like to have as the new manager ?

Who do you think will get the job?

My preference is Alex Ferguson (no chance)

I think O 'Leary will get it .

2. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The favorite is John Toshack.

3. e_k1

e_k1 New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Germany
    a lot of fans would like to see Kinnear get a chance, myself included. Although John Aldridge may be a better choice as he is a younger man and may be more hungry and bring some new ideas (and hopefully some much needed professionalism) to the setup. Saying that I do not know how he's done at Tranmere.

What price is Martin O'Neill I wonder?

4. Nigel_Sausagepump

Nigel_Sausagepump New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    UK
    Who would I like to get it?
    Guus Hiddinck.

Who do I think will get it?
    Joe Kinnear.

Why has nobody mentioned George Burley?
    He's available, of decent stature and might consider taking it if offered.

5. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freddy Adu.

6. spunkymonkey

spunkymonkey New Member

Sep 9, 2002
    London
    have to agree with barna on both counts:
    think Alex ferguson would be great (no chance!!!) and think it will be O'Leary

7. yorkshirepud

yorkshirepud New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Dublin
    Ya I think George Burley is a perfect choice...Turned down the Stoke job in strange circumstances too!!...was he waiting for something else??

Failing that ...John Toshack has the experience..what about appointing Aldridge as his assistant? Experience and Youth..good combo

8. USsupport

USsupport New Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arlington, VA, USA
    wasn't Tosh the mgr of Wales for a while? how did he do? I'd be interested to hear what you guys think of his record vs. the records of O'Leary, Aldo and Kinnear.

9. Nigel_Sausagepump

Nigel_Sausagepump New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    UK
    Toshack managed Wales for 1 game and promptly quit. Not necessarily the staying power we're looking for, but he does have a good record in Spanish club football.

Of the other mentioned three, I'd plump for Kinnear. O'Leary hasn't convinced me that he's a good manager when he doesn't have millions to spend, while Aldridge's greatest achievement is a Worthington Cup Final and keeping an average side in an average league.

10. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Post of the week!!!!

11. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Toshack didnt do much with Wales, but he was moderately successful in Spain. Aldo, well he didnt exactly set the world alight at Tranmere. Kinnear, didnt want the jobs before, I dont think he is right. I'd go for O'Leary but I wonder if he is waiting for a job at the Premiership club? How about Brian Kerr?

12. e_k1

e_k1 New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Germany
    Toshack - I know little about him as he spent most of his career in Spain. He did win the spanish league and was successful generally. He was only Wales manager for 40 days or so. I wouldn't be too keen on him due to his probable lack of knowledge of Irish football and his age.

Kinnear - His reputation is for being able to achieve success with limited resources, a reputation based mostly on his achievements at Wimbledon. Thankfully this is no longer a priority for an Irish manager as we do have some very talented young players now. However his lack of experience working with high profile players coupled with his health problems would be factors that would count against him.

He would certainly be a better candidate than Toshack for me given his better knowledge of the irish game and fans.

O'Leary - In his time at Leeds I believe he was underated as a coach. Look at them now under Veneables, barely a shadow of the young exciting team under DO'L. People tended to point out the huge sums of money he spent there and attribute Leeds' 'success' to that. He does have a tendency for saying the worng things at the wrong time though. And considering his salary at Leeds I doubt the FAI could afford him.

Aldridge - As I said on another thread I do not know how he has done in his time at Tranmere, or even if he is still there. Assuming he has been doing OK he is possibly the best of the candidates considering his age and him being until realtively recently involved with the Irish team as a player.

Burley - All I know is that he was manager at Ipswich and took them into the premiership, and then back down again.

13. yorkshirepud

yorkshirepud New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Dublin
    I always thought that Joe Kinnear missed the boat in the last appointment though- He has hardly worked at the cutting edge since -maybe combining him with someone such as Kerr or Wheland might be the best case

14. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Joe Kinnear number one, Brian Kerr number two. It's like a poor mans Fergusson and Kidd. Kinnear is a hard man, who wont take no rubbish from players who are under preforming and his man management skills are next to none, great motivator too. Kerr, the nice guy, who's a master at youth level, has the respect of everyone and is probably tactically superior but I'd suspect not as good at man managing/discipline. Good buy bad guy, Fergusson and Kidd like, match made in heaven I reckon.

But, as I type, Aldo has put his name forward on Sky, and says he would also try and get Keane back.

15. e_k1

e_k1 New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Germany
    O'Leary has ruled himself out already. He's quoted as saying:

"I would love to manage my country one day but if the FAI were to approach me now I would have to decline.

"I loved the day-to-day involvement of club management and I would really like to be involved in that again first."

16. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Thank god, one less muppet to worry about imo.

17. Plastic Paddy

Plastic Paddy New Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Hammersmith, London
    Who next?

There's only one candidate with the man-management skills and passion to take Ireland forward at a price the FAI can afford.

John Aldridge.

:( PP - A sad day indeed...

18. DEREK WHITE

DEREK WHITE New Member

The best man available is George Graham.Aldridge no track record Kinnear bad Heart and turned job down before also Brian Kerr is good with kids but with millionaires and prima donnas like Roy Keane he would get no respect.Also I would not have Keane back he has probably three yrs left in him won't play friendlies and doesn't like travelling.It is unlikely we will qualify for Portugal so need to build for Germany in 2006 when Keane won't be aroundHowever knowing the FAI they will go for a cheap fix like Kinnear or Aldridge and welcome Roy back as if he didn't shame Irish football.

19. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    I'd like to see:
    1. P. Troussier (if he can speak English)
    2. The who managed Senagal (I think it was Metsu or something)
    3. Joe Kinnear
    4. George Burley

Who'd probably get it:
    1. Joe Kinnear
    2. George Burley
    3. John Aldridge

20. frankk

frankk New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Dublin/Donegal
    has ronnie whelan given up management? he was going a great job in greece (nicosia i think?) and only got the chop because of an internal power struggle.

while it would be great to see an actual irish manager i don't think they should receive special preference because of their nationality. i put very litle confidence in most of the names proposed so far, primarily because of their VERY limited success at any level.

dave o'leary: first he wants it, then he doesn't
    verdict - could do well but he's a plank
    john aldridge: last seen selling copies of 'big issue' somewhere on the wirral
    verdict - passionate but very limited
    brian kerr: underage guru
    verdict - too big a step up to senior level
    joe kinnear: luton manager
    verdict - smart guy but may have lost his edge some time ago. second division to international is too much

and the non-irish
    george burley: sacked by ipswich but well thought of and could be a good international manager - in time. too soon
    george graham: please no!! dire approach on how to play the game
    john toshack: interesting prospect. european pedigree at highest level. we need to adopt a more professional approach to the game so who better to copy than the spanish.
    peter reid: too pricey. would probably want another crack at club football

my preference would be john toshack & ronnie whelan as his no.2

21. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Mentons comments today suggests to me we'll "Do a Sven" and go for someone foreign, without a job and a good track record. Who knows, the FAI may even offer more then minimum wage!

22. 3rdSt.Jim

3rdSt.Jim New Member

May 16, 2001
    Higley, AZ
    Right, and then they'll continue to provide **** facilities, **** travel plans, **** support and utterly laughable PR management. Hmm... I can just see all the international managers lining up.

23. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    After seeing the incident with Aldridge, Jack Charlton, and a FIFA sideline official in the Ireland/Mexico game in WC '94, I'd love to see Aldridge! :D

24. e_k1

e_k1 New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Germany
    here's a summary of the candidates from the Irish Examiner.

JOE KINNEAR (odds – 13-8 favourite) – The Luton manager has worked wonders at Kenilworth Road, guiding them out of Division Three and into a strong position in the Second Division. Made his name at Wimbledon, whom he helped to a highest-ever top-flight position of sixth in 1994. He spent over seven years with the Dons before suffering heart problems and taking a break from the game. In his playing days, Kinnear won 26 caps for the Republic as a defender. He rejected the chance to take over from Jack Charlton in 1996, giving McCarthy his big break.

JOHN TOSHACK (5-2) – Toshack possess unrivalled experience of top-class European football, having enjoyed spells in Spain with Real Madrid and Real Sociedad. Made his name as Swansea manager, guiding the Welsh club to the dizzy heights of the top flight before joining Sporting Lisbon. In his short spell at Real Madrid, he guided them to the Spanish title. His international record is more suspect though, having managed Wales for a brief spell before quitting after just one match.

JOHN ALDRIDGE (5-2) – The former Liverpool striker is another Republic legend, having led his country’s strikeforce on 69 occasions. Was one of the driving forces behind the success at Italia 90 and also featured four years later. Has a mixed managerial record having spent five years with Tranmere. Aldridge coped with serious financial problems at Prenton Park to keep Rovers in the First Division, even reaching a Worthington Cup final and the semi-finals of the FA Cup. The lack of funds hit hard though and Aldridge resigned with Rovers destined for relegation to the Second Division.

MARTIN O’NEILL (14-1) – One of the most highly-regarded managers in Britain for his excellent work at Leicester and now Celtic, who he has taken back to the pinnacle of Scottish football. O’Neill won 64 caps for Northern Ireland and while he is yet to commit his long-term future to Celtic he has given no indication that he has any particular longing to coach at international level.

RONNIE WHELAN (20-1): Winner of 53 caps for the Republic of Ireland and was part of Liverpool’s all-conquering team of the 1980s but his managerial record does not make such good reading. Whelan had two seasons at Southend with the Shrimpers suffering relegation to Division Two. He has since coached with varied success at clubs in Greece and Cyprus and would be a surprising choice to succeed McCarthy.

NIALL QUINN (33-1): Quinn is well respected in Ireland and looks set to become a thoughtful and clever coach. However, he may need to cut his teeth somewhere smaller before applying for a job of this magnitude.

KENNY DALGLISH (50-1): The Scot has been out of the game since his spell at Celtic ended in 2000. A success at Liverpool, steering them to the double in 1986 as player-manager while also winning the league with Blackburn in 1995. His time away from the game may count against him.

25. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Legendary Stuff That! :D