Your best Football-stories!

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Dr_Aeppler, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Dr_Aeppler

Dr_Aeppler New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Mainhattan
    Every Football-Fan has had some of those Experiences!

Experiences that just bond you to the game!
    Experiences that you can tell your grandchildren about!
    Experiences that nothing else than the beautiful game could give you!

Tell your best stories here!

It could be about your club winning a derby, or a championship or getting promoted or whatever...
    You know that I mean....

2. Harry Ottis Guff

Harry Ottis Guff BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 2, 2003
    Im gonna slap you!
    ENGLAND TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    Deutschland 1-5 England.

That was a hell of a day.

4. SoccerFan8270

SoccerFan8270 New Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    Besiktas 2-0 Chelsea was pretty cool...

5. Milos

Milos Member+

Sep 6, 2003
    Iacon
    Club:
    Coventry City FC
    England 4-1 Holland

Coventry city 5-1 Liverpool

Coventry city 3-0 Aston villa (*#*#*#*# on the villa)

6. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC United- 38 MetroStars-0

man i love video games. Fantasy Fullfilled.

7. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    You young 'uns have never really experienced the real thing.
    Once upon a time way, way back in the sixties Liverpool played in their first European Cup. We'd been in the English second Division for 7 long years and along came a man called Billy Shankly to take over. He brought us out into the First Div (No EPL back then) and into Europe.

“There's nothing quite like a proper European night at Anfield.”
    And that was were we were heading, four big scousers in a borrowed Freddies Ice cream van..!

This was a special night…this was the semi-final of our first European Cup attempt.

We’d played and laughed and became honourary Reykjavicians to the tune of 11-1 in the first round.

The second round brought us FC Cologne and the epic 3 game, 5 hours of first class football and settled on a coin toss.

But this one was real. This one was against the top club in Europe at their peak. This one was International of Milan, the cream of Europe, and we were nobodies. Just a bunch brash young Scouser upstarts who didn’t know what to expect but were going to show them our game. Or Billy Shankley’s game at least..!

There were 55,000 in the ground that day and about that many locked outside. We were in the Kop, up behind the goal, standing shoulder to shoulder all 28,000 of us, a living breathing organic mass of noise.
    First come first served then, no calling in on your cellphone and having your tickets delivered by courier so you could 'sit' in plastic chairs!
    The atmosphere before the game, was electric, un-bloody-believable, It fairly throbbed in the Kop as we stood shoulder to shoulder, it seemed you could feel the pulse of the people around you pounding along with yours.

JUST THREE DAYS EARLIER LIVERPOOL HAD WON THE FA CUP AT WEMBLEY for the first time in our history. And we were ready for something more.

Just when it seemed we couldn’t get more excited, more wound up, or louder…
    Inter came out onto the pitch.
    Simultaneously Gordon Milne and Gerry Byrne came out with the FA CUP FOR A VICTORY LAP. It was shear bedlam and Inter were in the middle of it all just standing stunned, we screamed, we yelled, we howled. I SWEAR THAT’S WHEN MY EAR DRUMS WENT…!!!
    A lessor team than Inter would have got on the bus right then.

From the kick off Liverpool took it to them, and took them apart. Inter never had the time to settle into their game of control and make the other team run. They never had a chance. It was all Liverpool, all attack in flowing, precision, passing waves. Just a couple of minutes into the game Roger Hunt took a dainty pass from Cally and hooked it into the Anfield end goal.
    Inter were stunned, this was just supposed to be another stop on their way to another EC. Their eyes had that shocked stare of someone caught in a blast... and they were.
    Just when you thought that they were going to collapse Mazolla got away from Rowdy and pulled them back 1-1. From then on it was all over. They did collapse, Cally scored from a free kick, Roger hit another that was too hot for the goalie and the Saint nipped in for 3. Liverpool had a couple of goals disallowed, I think the ref or EAFA said no more allowed, this is Inter.

Liverpool and the Kop took over “Santa Lucia” was the song of the night with the words “Go-o backa to Ital-ie,” they say it was heard at the Pier Head!….and the shocked Italians did go home.

And left what was arguably the best game of many great games played at Anfield and in front of the Kop.

And you kids missed it... That was the begining, even before the so called glory years with Liverpool.

8. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    manchester united 2 chelsea 1 2002-2003 season

manchester united 3 chelsea 2 (i was there :))
    best game i have seen so far. 1999-2000

9. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    There was an adult tournament in Brooklyn about 4 yrs ago. Score was a 2-2 draw at the end of regulation and extra time so it went to pks. This was a final a title game.

Neither one of these teams wanted to win the game. It ended after 27 rounds of pks. It was hilarious someone said the game would have ended in the 11 round if one team used a garbage can as their keeper.
    -----------------------------------------

Santa Rosalia tournament adult tournament game ended 4-0 on 4 own goals by the same player a left back. Coach said can you believed we actually paid this guy.

-------------------------

Adult game Pk called very late in regulation time which if made would have won the game. A player from the keepers team said from outside the area for the official to watch the takers team they rush the area early. The taker makes the pk, but the official calls for the pk to be retaken because one of the players did rush the area before the ball was touched by the taker. The taker misses the second attempt so no goal was scored.

It turns out that player was pushed into the area by the opponent before the Pk was taken. Even the one that was missed the opponent pushed another player into the are area before that kick was taken :).

--------------------------------

There was a game in Stutgart Germany freezing cold and heavy snow in that game. Both teams wore panty house and gloves to keep warm. Could not see the lines covered with falling snow. So much snow you could not dribble the ball. Had to keep airing the ball to move it up and down field.

To top it all off one of the balls bladder came out of the ball when kicked due to cold. They had to change balls twice.

--------------------

Then we had the great NY Albanian riot in a Tournament against Calabria Roma. That was a fight disquised as a soccer game.

---------------

Also Under 19 Brooklyn italian against Parkville Rangers who was sponsered by George Weah remember him? The Rangers had some good players, but a bad keeper. Did those guys love to fight. After five seperate fights in 5 seperate games they were invited to leave the league
    -----------------------------------

Also had the big Brooklyn College soccer team riot in a tournament in China. I am surprised they let any of those players came back alive.

Richie

10. Pibe04

Pibe04 New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Ft. Meade, MD USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. John Boy

John Boy New Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Staffordshire
    Coming from 11 points behind to beat W*l**s to promotion in the final 8 games of the 2001/2002 season

12. skyboy

skyboy New Member

Jul 16, 2003
    New York City
    WC 2002

south korea 2
    italy 1

+

talking about sour loser.....unbelievable!
    i still hear about it from italians time to time
    i still laugh at their face everytime it happens

13. Doc_Aeppler

Doc_Aeppler Member

May 27, 2003
    Frankfurt
    DANG! I just wrote two beautiful storys and now they are lost because I wasnt logged in anymore... :-(

Im gonne sum it up now....

May 29th 1999 Frankfurt-Kaiserslautern 5-1
    season final, Frankfurt hat to win by exactly that many goals not to be relegated. They made it with a beautiful goal in the 90th minute!
    Not even to talk about the humiliation for the loacl rival and 98s german chapion Kaiserslautern... :D
    Best game Ive ever seen!

May 25th 2003 Frankfurt Reutlingen 6-3
    Frankfurt had to win by as many goals as the other local rival Mainz 05 to be promoted. At halftime it was 3-1, Mainz was up 2-0, so everything was allright. in the 65th minute Reutlingen ahd tied it 3-3 and Mainz was up 4-0, so everybody thought "that was it, another year of wnd league"
    But Frankfurt started fighting!
    78th minute 4-3
    80th minute 1-4 at Mainz
    85th minute 5-3! One more goal needed!
    89th minute goal by frankfurt, but it doesnt count because of an offensive foul...
    90th minute bürger misses the goal from 10 yards
    93rd minute 6-3! Frankfurt is coming home to Bundesliga!!
    That was the most emotional game I have ever seen....

Oh and there is one more thing:

Im sure that must ahve been nice, but I rememebr 30000 people on the Römerberg in Frankfurt celebrating the new 3RD TIME EUROPEAN CHAMPION GERMANY!!!! All of them singing one song: "FOOTBALL IS COMING HOME...."

now THAT is what I call a hell of a day.....

Äppler

14. Doc_Aeppler

Doc_Aeppler Member

May 27, 2003
    Frankfurt
    By the way, NICE STORY usscouse!!

I really enjoied reading it! :)

15. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Thanks. Dr.
    One of the best parts of that run was the Cologne round. As I ,said 3 matches and 5 hours play.
    Two 0-0 draws, home and away and a third 2-2 match after extra time that was supposed to be the decider. But they had to do it on a coin toss.
    Must have been a heartbreaker for Cologne.

Tony Schumaker (Spelling) was magnificent.

16. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    There's quite a few stories I guess. But the best ones (IMO) usually took place as a result of football. Not at an actual match. Although there's some stories there as well of course.

Most of these stories aren't that suitable for grandchildren until they're adult or firmly on their way to adulthood though :D

One nice story is about NEC - Ajax, the 2001/2002 championship match. If I remember correctly Ajax would be champion if they won. If tied, PSV could still become champion if they won their match. They played groningen or something (don't remember)

As usual in The Netherlands, there was a lot of trouble about ticket allocation. Only a few hundred were available for Ajax fans. As a result, Ajax supporters demanded more tickets... but nothing. When several Ajax supporters sites (as expected) mentioned that Ajax supporters would come to Nijmegen, ticket or no ticket, the worrying started.

Unfortunately, the city of Nijmegen had something to prove and turned the game into a mayor police operation. The city would be sealed off and divided into 3 safety rings. One at the city border. Another one behind that and the final one around the stadium. It would be impossible for Ajax supporters without tickets to reach the stadium. Besides that any Ajax fans travelling outside the 'combi' caravan would risk arrest as usual.

If all this wasn't enough... the Amsterdam major decided to move the traditional championship party at Leidseplein to a parking lot near the Arena. But we had already decided to boycot that party.

Anyway... we knew that this day had to be a special one. It had been four years since Ajax' last championship. And a bad and rumorous four years they were. A black episode in Ajax' and Ajax supporters history for several reasons.

So the plan was to travel to Nijmegen on saturday in the late afternoon. Several hotel rooms were booked in and outside Nijmegen. No tickets, little chance... but whatever happened... we would have fun, and a story to tell our grand children :D

We got to our hotelroom and went into the hotel lobby. As it became later and later the lobby got more crowded... full of Ajax fans. At midnight it was time to head for the city centre... looking for some sensation. At first there was little going on. But all of a sudden, as we walked the street in a big line, a fight started ahead of me. The whole group charged forward and a big fight broke out. As it was very dark and police was on the scene quickly it became very chaotic, so a lot of us decided to head for the first pub we could find. It was about 2 at night now and within half an hour the pub was full of Ajax fans. We drank and and had some chit chat... eventually we had some people dancing on the tables and we were singing some Ajax songs... good atmosphere. After a while we left and were immediately followed by a lot of police. As usual this resulted in a little game of cat and mouse. We walked around with about 150-200 and tried to take some unexpected turns to lose the police company. But it hardly worked. Eventually the group split up here and there, but the police presence was so massive that there was no getting away. At a certain time we walked with about ten and saw a group of 50 NEC with iron rods and all kinds of tools. The police presence wasn't such a bad thing at this time. We made some calls and decided to call it a night. Everybody returned to their hotels. We had some more drinks in the hotelroom and slowly but surely more and more people fell asleep. I had to spend the night on the floor.

Early in the morning I took a bath, had a beer and we got ready to leave. We would all see each other back A'dam and we wouldn't even try to get to the stadium. There was no way we ever would.

On our way to the station we were stopped by police 5 times. Their amazement was funny when we told them we were on our way to A'dam. They left us alone (sort of) only to have their colleagues around the corner stop us again.

We went into a known Ajax - pub near A'dam central station (sonicdream might know this place) to watch the match. The small pub was packed and the windows were all misty. Very cozy.

The championship was a matter of time. PSV went one goal behind and not much later Ajax went one goal up. The atmosphere was great. Everybody was a bit tired but there was this 'boy what a weekend we're having huh?' atmosphere... hard to explain.

When the final whistle blew we all stormed out of the pub and took control of the street in front of it. We lit some pyro stuff here and there and sang some songs. Drivers were honking there horns everywhere. Fun. After a while we made our way to Leidseplein where the party had started. Meanwhile the official party was going on at some godforsaken parking lot.

The atmosphere at Leidseplein was great but quite aggressive. Some people, not known at Ajax, started demolishing busstops but they were put in their place by the real Ajax hardcore. Nevertheless the Leidseplein and surrounding area turned into a battlefield between riot police and Ajax supporters (and other people who never mind a good riot). When the peace returned the party moved to Rembrandplein where we weren't harassed by police anymore. It was a hectic weekend.... I dunno... I guess you had to be there.

17. skyboy

skyboy New Member

Jul 16, 2003
    New York City

....and you wouldn't tell this to your gandchildren, but you think they will understand when they are adults????

that you were running away from or confronting police and making mini(IYO) riot and only people vandalizaing anything did not belong to Ajax but they are some aliens landed in holland that day???? and yet, you were glad police were present when you were actually met by hooligans from other club with wielding bats and pipes....but otherwise police was just harassing innocent football loving fans like you????

your story doesn't inspire a *#*#*#*#*#...it just a reminder how pathetic football culture has become all over the world!

18. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Not as much as the name 'Manchester' standing next to your name does though.

Were you at Leidseplein? I'll take a risk and say you weren't. So how would you know anything about anything that happened there?

Whatever you have to say about the rest of the story is fine with me. You don't have to agree with what happened.

19. skyboy

skyboy New Member

Jul 16, 2003
    New York City
    manchester does NOT stand next to my name...it just merely says that i am a manchester united fan...i am not gonna marry the club, ya know?

NO...of course not!...but how do i know what happened?...you just explain it to me in detail as your "the best footall STORY"

i don't...and i just told you so

20. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    1. Great response. No really. You got me now! Anyway, I think you understand what I mean.

2. You call 3 or 4 sentences 'in detail'?

3. Good for you.

Now... got any stories?

21. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Yeah

My cousin & his wife visited NL during that time, his hotel was in leidseplein and he & his wife were "caught" in the middle of the action.
    Much to the bewilderment of my cousin; to the horror of his (American) wife.

After that they needed relief from the chaos of the city and went to that (what do you call them) Flora Expo, the one that is held every 10 years...

Of course the wife cursed at such hooliganism and such, but to tell you the truth, this story has been repeated to all her friends and relatives every time I hear them speak about their Dutch trip. So you see, the moral of the story here is that despite the mild violence and chaos demonstrated, it was "their story" to be told for years to come.

Long live football culture...!

22. doughboy

doughboy New Member

Apr 3, 2000
    Washington, DC
    27 February 2001

USA 2 - Mexico 0

It was a Wednesday night game. Me and four friends started the 6 or 7 hour drive from Washington to Columbus about 9 am. We get to Columbus around 4 pm and pull into hotel parking lot across the fair grounds from the stadium.

The wet bar is promptly set up on top of the car and the handle of Jim Beam and fifth of Jameson's starts flowing. We sit around, milling amongst the other fans, talking all things soccer and one friend's impending wedding.

around 6 o'clock we begin to make our way to the stadium with the last of the Jim Beam warming our insides. We finally make it into the stadium around 6:30, find the beer man and happily discover there is no limit and they're selling the 16 oz plastic bottles. Since the temp was about 29 degrees at kickoff, we filled our pockets and made our way to the Sam's Army section behind the goal to offer support and encouragement to our boys warming up. (I don't think the Mexicans even came out on the field to warm up before the game) One friend reminded Freidel that "this isn't Blackburn! C/mon!" for a good 10 minutes.

The game kicks off and it's a beautiful thing to see an entire stadium standing and cheering for the US during a World Cup Qualifier. I've been to a few at RFK and felt that the US was the road team, we were outnumbered so much.

First half ends 0-0 and we scuttle off to relieve the pressure on our bladders and to refill our pockets with beer. I return to our seats just in time to see one friend reaching over the railing for something and then falling to the field below. He quickly gets up and climbs back into the crowd only for a massive blood bubble to be forming on his chin. My other friend, thinking quickly, uses his Culpepper Minutemen Flag as a make shift turniquet and pronounces him fine. A stadium EMT begged to differ and took our friend to recieve some first aid. We were worried but then the second half started.

There was more cheering, singing and drinking and then all of a sudden Jorge Campos is charging out into no man's land. Josh Wolf easily gets to Mathis' 30 yard ball first and tucks it around the colorful keeper to slot home the easy winner. The stadium erupts, I lose at least one beer during the celebration. Later, Josh Wolf again, (how much did it suck for that kid to continually injure himself) somehow got away from two defenders in the corner, I still think he broke his ankle on that cut, walked into the box and found earnie stewart at the penalty spot for the easy finish.

After the euphoria of the win, one of us remembers that our friend was taken away for medical attention and never did return. Turns out, after long and painful drunken inquiries, that he was taken to the OSU medical center. We return to the hotel, two stay behind to order the pizza. myself and another friend get to the hospital and pick him up. Us drunk off our ass, him sober and sick, something about a pill that made him puke. The cab ride back to the hotel is there only in bits and pieces, I do remember the cabbie talkie up the sluttiness of the OSU coed's as well as his first jobs in the states in Utah and something about diseased cow teats.

We finally get back to the hotel room and I can't wait to dive into a few slices of pizza, but there is no pizza only two friends passed out and a broken telephone on the floor.

That is my best footballing story to date.