Your 23 man roster-as of now.

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by UltraViseu, Jan 30, 2006.

1. UltraViseu

UltraViseu Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Strong Island
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Lets play selecionador and select our 23 man WC roster. Im not sure if this has been done or not, I searched for it and could not find it. So here goes nothing

Goalkeepers
    Ricardo Pereira(SCP), Paulo Santos(SC Braga),
    Defenders
    Jorge Andrade(Deportivo Coruna), Miguel Monteiro (Valencia), Marco Caneira (SCP), Paulo Ferreira (Chelsea), Ricardo Carvalho (Chelsea), Fernando Meira (VfB Stutgart), Nelson (SLB), Alex (Wolfsburg)

Midfielders
    Deco (Barcelona), Armando Petit (Benfica), Costinha (Porto), Maniche aka Machine (Chelsea), Tiago Mendes (Lyon)

Forwards
    Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United), Ricardo Quaresma (Porto), Ricardo Vaz Te (Bolton), Luis Boa Morte (Fulham), Pauleta (Paris Saint-Germain), Simao Sabrosa (Benfica), Ariza Makukula (Sevilha)

Felipao will likelly bring in three Gk, but I would like to see more depth in the front b/c these guys will be running and running.

2. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    No need for Alex when you've got Nelson and Paulo Ferreira.
    You're leaving out Figo and Nulo Gomes? :eek: And what is Makukula doing here? I think he said he won't play for Portugal. Unfortunately Scolari won't call Vaz Te either...

3. UltraViseu

UltraViseu Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Strong Island
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You are absolutelly correct. I am actually quite embarassed for this. Lol, in my attemp to be savy I forgot two of the crucial elements to this squad. May I then backtrack and get rid of Ariza as well as Vaz Te and add Nuno Gomes and Figo. I guess I just assumed I had added them there. Thanks for the heads up.
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

4. UltraViseu

UltraViseu Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Strong Island
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Is that right, that is interesting as he has played in the younger squads. Where does he wanna play in the DRC?

5. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The last I heard was that he didn't like his chances with Portugal NT because Scolari was ignoring him and usually sticks w/ the same guys... but he could have changed his mind, not sure.

6. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Try this one..

Goalkeepers
    Ricardo Pereira(SCP), Quim(SLB), Paulo Santos(SC Braga),
    Defenders
    Jorge Andrade(Deportivo Coruna), Miguel Monteiro (Valencia), Marco Caneira (SCP), Paulo Ferreira (Chelsea), Ricardo Carvalho (Chelsea), Fernando Meira (VfB Stutgart), Nuno Valente(EPL??)

Midfielders
    Deco (Barcelona), Armando Petit (Benfica), Costinha (Porto), Maniche aka Machine (Chelsea), Tiago Mendes (Lyon), Carlos Martins(SCP), Luis Figo(Inter)

Forwards
    Cristiano Ronaldo (MU), Quaresma(FCP), Luis Boa Morte (Fulham), Pauleta (Paris Saint-Germain), Simao Sabrosa (Benfica), Nulo(SLB)

Qauresma, and Carlos Martins are questionable he just might only take 22, and surprise everyone with Postiga for Quaresma or Moutinho for Martins.

7. UltraViseu

UltraViseu Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Strong Island
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Valente is deff. a great addition, I need to add him and drop Alex. My vision though is to have Ferreira on the left with Miguel on the right, but Valente is at Everton and picking up excellent form, in fact he assisted the goal in the FA cup?? yesterday to tie Chelsea. Its such a tough choice between Moutinho, Martins, Nelson, M. Fernandes etc... I just hope he brings Quaresma, because i want him starting and C.Ronaldo sitting.

8. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    On the left it will be either Valente or Caneira. Scolari has shown that he likes Moutinho, M Fernandes isin't play the ball he was last year. Maybe it had to do with the injury, young players sometimes don't recover their form that easy.
    Who else can you think would be able to sub Deco just in case?
    Scolari doesn't like to mix up the team, I think if he hasn't called you yet. He won't!!

9. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Goalkeepers:

Ricardo, Baia, Quim (remember 3 keepers are selected 2 and 1 reserve)

Defenders:

R. Carvalho (CB), Jorge Andrade (CB), Paulo Ferreira (RB), Miguel (RB), Jose Goncalves (LB) (FC Thun),
    Marco Caneira (LB/CB), Fernando Meira (CB)

Midfield:

Maniche , Petit , Costinha
    Deco , Tiago
    Luis Figo (Capitao) , Simao , Quaresma, C. Ronaldo

Strikers:

Pauleta, Nuno Gomes, Almeida

10. UltraViseu

UltraViseu Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Strong Island
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

I thought Goncalves was Swiss. I know he was born in PT, but I believed he was going to choose Switzerland.

11. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He said he is very aware of Ricardo Quaresma and I don't doubt he will bring him>He is to much of a asset.

:eek: Huh that would be stupid>Postiga will only go unless someone is injured and really Martins has impressed me but if he stays healthy he will be there.

Costinha won't be there but I think scolari will go for a mix approach with young players and vets.

As for the keeper Santos is my choice but he will bring Ricardo and Vale.

12. UltraViseu

UltraViseu Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Strong Island
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The switch to Moscow might stain Costinha's chances, but man when he puts on that NT jersey he gives it his and is a workhorse in the midfield even smoking a pack a day as he does.

13. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Problem is there is to much portuguese talent and when scolari scouts he scouts only the top players.

Duda is deserving but won't be there>Gonscalves has impressed me alot.

Ze Antonio is playing well overseas.

As for the young guns don't be surprised if he takes some young players like a Ze castro.

14. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If I had to choose between Moutinho, Martins and M. Fernandes I would choose Martins because of his offense and his shot but at the same time being aware of the loss of defensive ability.

15. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Did you see the Benfica game?

He is a workhorse.

Moutinho has been struggling as of late and Fernandes is a overrated hack.

16. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You can't be serio. When he got subbed in he played pretty good. There was one point were 3 players rushed him and he dribbled right through them. He doesnt go down easily at all either, he always fight threw...

17. CR7!

CR7! New Member

May 19, 2005
    he was called up for the u-21s for that vale de tejo tournament.

18. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I know he is your boy:D

But he does consistenly hack sometimes and yep he is fast and has a good shot but is he a good fit for our national team.

Martins and moutinho are my top two.

19. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    He's no more of a hack than Moutinho.

Anyways, in a few years both Fernandes and Moutinho will probably be starting for the NT and should make a strong duo in midfield.

20. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Euro 2008 is where we will shine and I will say it again that is our year.

Ronaldo,Almeida,Quaresma,Martins, Moutinho,Ze castro, Ricardo vaz te,vale

UNSTOPPABLE:D

21. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    GoalKeepers:

Ricardo(Sporting), Victor Baia(Porto), Quim(Benfica)

Defenders:

Paulo Ferreira(Chelsea), Jorge Andrade(Deportivo Coruna), Ricardo Carvalho(Chelsea), Miguel(Valencia), Nelson(Benfica), Fernando Meira(VfB Stutgart), Nuno Valente(Everton)

Midfeilders:

Maniche(Chelsea), Manuel Fernandes(Benfica), Costinha(Moscow), Ricardo Quaresma(Porto), Crisitano Ronaldo(Manchester United), Luis Figo(Inter Milan), Luis Boa Morte(Fulham), Simao Sabrosa(Benfica), Deco de Souza(Barcelona), Carlos Martins(Sporting),

Strikers:

Pauleta(Paris Saint-Germain), Nuno Gomes(Benfica), Ricardo Vaz Te(Bolton)

Conclusion: I like Carlos Martins heart, he has a good shot and good dribbling too:eek: .If he is able to stay healthy I like him over Moutinho, mostly for size. Ricardo Vaz Te I am picking off pure raw talent. If Nuno Gomes and Pauleta aren't able to change the game, maybe Vaz Te raw speed and creative dribbling can.

My Lineup:

Nelson----Andrade----Carvalho----Nuno Valente
    --------Maniche-------------Fernandes--------
    C.Ronaldo----------------Deco-------------Figo
    -------------------Pauleta--------------------

Conslusion: I know Nelson at the RB spot over Ferreira and Miguel might be iffy, but I like attacking futebol, and although Nelson might not be the safest pick, espically over Ferreira, Nelson has something no one else in the back 4 has...the ability the break open the game. I put in Fernandes because I still think he ball handling, passing,shot, and work effort that would create huge amount problems paired with Maniche or Costinha, take your pick,I chose Maniche. I actually begun with putting Quaresma in that left flank, but it just looked and felt weird not having Figo start...

22. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Good picks but Valente is done with the nt.

As for Fernandes I hope he does well but it seems martins and moutinho seem more promising.

Don't forget Custodio if he comes around.

23. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Custodio lost his form when Beto punched him, hasn't been the same since :eek:.

24. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Haha no wonder his nose looks like micheal Jackson>HEHE

25. ronnie86

ronnie86 New Member

Apr 10, 2005
    Goalkeepers
    Ricardo Pereira(SCP), Quim (Benfica), Bruno Vale (Amadora)

Defenders
    Jorge Andrade(Deportivo Coruna), Miguel Monteiro (Valencia), Marco Caneira (SCP), Paulo Ferreira (Chelsea), Ricardo Carvalho (Chelsea), Fernando Meira (VfB Stutgart), Nelson (SLB),

Midfielders
    Deco (Barcelona), Petit (Benfica), Costinha (Porto), Maniche (Chelsea), Tiago (Lyon), Carlos Martins (SCP), Luis Figo (Inter Milan)

Forwards
    Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United), Ricardo Quaresma (Porto), Nuno Gomes (Benfica), Pauleta (Paris Saint-Germain), Simao Sabrosa (Benfica), Helder Postiga (Porto)

Starting Line up

---------------Ricardo--------------

Miguel---Andrade---Carvalho---Nelson

---------Costinha----Maniche--------

Ronaldo---------Deco-------Quaresma

---------------Pauleta---------------

I would like to bring in Vaz TE, Almeida, Moutinho, Fernandes and so on but they have done little to gain a spot and are more likely for euro 2008. Ive made slight changes but the only position that i might change is figo for quaresma and have quaresma off the bench as more of an impact player.