Your 2014 Dream World Cup

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by Bengoechea, Mar 29, 2014.

1. doritos93

doritos93 Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Montreal - Europe
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Stop trying to argue for no reason seriously. They were minnows in 2002, huge underdogs anyway. They aren't anymore. Happy? Jesus some people...

2. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2002 was the 4th straight World Cup that USA qualified for. The second in that time they made it out of group play.

San Marino is a minnow. USA is not

3. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Argue for no reason? They weren't minnows. That's stupid. Underdogs, of course. You make them sound like they had no business in the World Cup.

4. doritos93

doritos93 Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Montreal - Europe
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    No, I didn't make it sound that way, you thought it sounded that way cause you're obviously a big fan of the USMNT. I tried to make it sound like they were minnows when you consider only the scope of the teams that actually qualified. And 4 qualifications is great, 1 being the host nation, and two others being tourneys where they went 3 and out. It's fine, but you're trying to make it sound like everyone didn't think their NT was shit back then, when everyone did.

Listen I didn't mean to put down the current sqaud at all. You're raging over my use of the word minnow. I will edit my post to make you happy because you're a fellow Portugal fan. Hope that helps.

5. J.P.

J.P. Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I wouldn't say that. Portugal have the best player in the world, have been to 3 Euro semis and a World Cup semi since 2000. They have high priced players all over the top teams in Europe.

The U.S. isn't in the same class talent wise. Or even close.

I'm American and love the US, but this isn't a comparison.

6. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the US have been to 7 straight World Cups. That's more than Portugal all together. I'm not arguing that US is at Portugals level, I'm arguing USA isn't minnows. And if they are, than Portugal are minnows compared to Germany, Italy, Brazil, etc.

Also, Wales have one of the top 5 players on the planet right now and no one would say they aren't a small team. Having the best or second best player doesn't make your nation not a minnow.

Again, not arguing Portugal is a minnow, they're undisputed top 10 nation since the turn of the century. It's just not logical to think USA isn't in top 15

7. J.P.

J.P. Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Yes, they are minnows compared to Brazil (historically...not currently).

But by the same token the US are minnows to Portugal.

How many Americans would garner playing time as a starter or priority bench player? Bradley maybe, Tim Howard probably ...Maybe Jozy but probably not.

8. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those three, Aron Johannson, Brad Guzan and Fabian Johnson are all either better or equal to what Portugal offers in the same positions.

That's counting Fabian as a RB.

Now, Cristiano, Pepe, Coentrao, Moutinho are all much much much better than what USA has to offer

9. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think doritos was just expressing his embarrassment with 2002 and embellished the USMT being a minnow, I was guilty of expecting and easy win in 2002 also. I think now everything has changed and most of us know the USMT is capable of challenging any team and won't roll over. They have a decent team but mostly they have an ability to play above the sum of their parts, a team that gives everything they have. I can't speak for everyone but they certainly have my respect.

doritos93 and nbstriker8 repped this.
  10. doritos93

doritos93 Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Montreal - Europe
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    ^^ 100%. Not being able to edit my post, I would like to go on record and say I apologize for using the term minnow when speaking of the USMNT.

11. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm all for a healthy debate my friend

12. joaommx

joaommx Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Qualifying from CONCACAF. They would have a much tougher job in UEFA.

And btw, I don't think Portugal will have an easy game against them at all. I have a healthy dose of respect for that team, and not because of what happened 12 years ago.

13. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that's the big debate really. I think for big teams it's easier to qualify from Europe, more times than not. Granted you'll see a Spain + France group every so often, usually you play 2-3 small countries, an okay side and a second rate team.

In concacaf, USA and Mexico are basically givens (though USA wasn't always the case) and Costa Rica and Honduras usually round out the top four.

I think it's debatable for a bigger team from each to make it. Who knows?

14. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    USA deserves alot of respect, they can beat Portugal..

seriously if Portugal did not have Sporting, USA would probably be better than Portugal to be honest. but thank god Portugal has Sporting.

SCP_16 repped this.
  15. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don know if it's overreaction to Bayern or noticing that Germany's defense isn't that great (besides lahm) but I'm starting to think maybe USA and Portugal could progress.

Then again, Germany has never failed to get out of the first round.

41 days

16. doritos93

doritos93 Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Montreal - Europe
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I tend to agree on the defender. We are pretty much outclassed in the middle of the park though.. that's what frightens me the most. Schweinsteiger, Ozil, Kroos, Schurrle, Gotze if he plays, guys that can really hurt us.

17. Bengoechea

Bengoechea Member

Jul 28, 2005
    São Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    True, but records are there to be broken. Netherlands before 2012 never got eliminated in the first round of Euro. Finished 2012 with 0 points.

Germany, for example, has being eliminated in several Euro tournaments in first round. Who knows?

I still think Portugal and Germany will qualify, USA should focus first on Ghana tbh.

18. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree on all counts. I just can't wait to watch!!!!

19. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Portugal had its share of quality but you cannot match the character with the likes of Figo & Gomes. We're missing Character guys. Players who will give it their all.

20. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    we got lots of character

Bruno Alves, Pepe, Ronaldo, Coentrao, Pereira, Eduardo...

this team has tons of heart bud.

21. doritos93

doritos93 Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Montreal - Europe
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Can't get much more heart than this

[​IMG]

22. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal