Youngsters in MLS (1993 or later)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Real Corona, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    Don't forget Jonathan Campbell.

Gonzalez is having a good game against Montreal.

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    My biggest problem with Miazga's passing is the lack of confidence in his skills. He's a big guy, but he moves well. He'll show his mobility chasing down a defender whose beat him over the top initially, but won't show it to be aggressive and step into midfield to be that extra CM to start the attack, being confident that he has the mobility and foot skills to hang in that part of the field and also know he can recover defensively, if needed. He also panics a lot when he's pressured, and will take the long ball to no one over the very easy short or medium range pass that would be an obvious option without being nervous about being pressured.

I really don't think these are difficult skills. If we were talking about a CM who couldn't complete 5, 10, 20 yard passes under pressure or panicked and quickly got rid of the ball anytime anyone got near them, they'd get a lot of criticism. These aren't even incredibly impressive skills, just basic skills that field players should have. Saying that, I don't think Miazga lacks the ability to execute in these areas, I think he lacks the confidence to execute in these areas, which is what I think separates players who are good in these areas of the game from those that aren't. Purposeful long passing is a different topic for a different day, I think that requires serious skill that a lot of CB's don't have, but thats not important for this discussion.

On Redding, you mentioned a few technical aspects of his passing that I haven't even really considered. I would hope that he has coaches who are seeing these same things and can work on it with him. Those seem like very correctable issues. Saying that, Redding seems a lot more confident in his ability with the ball than Miazga and Carter-Vickers, and he moves well, along with already having a very mature defensive game that is predicated on smarts not physical skills. Long term, I trust his ability on the ball and passing because the confidence in that part of his game is there, so if he can fix some of those technical aspects, there should be no problems.

To me, Carter-Vickers is the defender whose ball skills worry me the most because his movement is very awkward, and he kicks the ball aimlessly long a lot and out of bounds a lot. At the same time, I think he defends better than any of these players, but his passing and mobility are pretty poor, IMO. I think Palmer-Brown has the best ball skills of any of these CB's, his movement is so fluid and effortless, he has an extra gear in terms of speed which he rarely has to use, and he's Brooks-esque aggressive at times with some of the passes he makes and aggressiveness to move into midfield. He's also good aerially because of very good athleticism. Like prior concerns with Brooks, there's a question if he'll ever read the game well enough defensively to be a reliable CB, he's behind Miazga, Carter-Vickers and Redding in terms of defending at this point. Time will tell on all those players, they all are pretty different players, but its good that there are so many high level CB prospects for the NT. Not too long ago there was a huge CB crisis with the NT.

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    My fault, good thing tdos doesn't seem to read this thread lol

It seems like he had a good game and has started the season very well. He could be a ROY candidate.

4. All Knowing

All Knowing New Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC

I looked at the players completion rate on whoscored.com and Redding is completing 87% of his passes while Miazga completed 74% and Palmer Brown completed 77%. Using Matt Besler as the standard, 85% is the threshold for a high quality CB. The number of games are so few in Redding's and Palmber-Brown case in comparison to Miazga but the stats don't lie. Redding is completing a higher percentage as of today. Miazga in 28 games had 4 yellows and 2 reds. Redding has 2 fouls which suggests he is the least aggressive of the three. Miazga is much better in the air while Redding holds possession better. Palmer Brown seems to always be in the middle except for overall game performance. Miazga 7.49 rating was a top 10 league rating, Redding is currently at 7.01 a top 30 rating and Palmer Brown was a 6.52 last year. Miazga quality is evident in his overall score. Redding's score has increased every game this year logging a 6.43, 7.1 and recently a 7.43 which suggests his play has been exceptional for a kid who just turned 19 in January.
    I haven't seen Carter-Vickers much but the 3 players I've seen are unique so comparing them is a matter of preference. Redding is a much better dribbler and passer than Palmer Brown. The thought behind that statement is Redding doesn't give the ball up and his passing percentage is much better. His stutter step move you noticed is used to freeze the defender who is applying pressure. He usually uses that move when he dribbles by pressure, he has used that move since he arrived on the scene, it's not a flaw and I've yet to see him lose the ball using it. Palmer Brown is much better in the air than Redding. Miazga is a more complete player than both Palmer-Brown and Redding as of today. Inconclusion, Miazga is leading the pack by a wide margin and Palmer-Brown & Redding are neck and neck.

5. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Justen Glad got to play the last 9 minutes for RSL.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I appreciate your attempt to add stats, but SSS stats can be very deceiving. I do agree with most of the things you've said though. Redding is the least aggressive with his challenges of all these CB's, he's a lot more cerebral defensively with his reading of the game and just makes little smart plays that go unnoticed. Like you've said, he passes well and is confident on the ball, a little weak right now aerially, but I don't think it'll be a big weakness as he gets stronger. I've used the Besler comparison before for him. I also agree that Miazga is the best of the bunch in the air, although I don't think Carter-Vickers and Palmer-Brown are far behind, as I think they are both pretty good in that area.

As far as where they are in comparison to Miazga, I definitely agree that Miazga's the best right now of the four I've named (Miazga, Redding, CCV, EPB), but he's also two years older than those other three, so he has that advantage for now. Like I've said before though, they are all different. Miazga's a dominant aerial CB who defends very well 1v1 and has surprisingly good athleticism, Redding's a very cerebral defensively and moves well, passes well and has confidence dribbling the ball, Palmer-Brown is really toolsy and seemingly has some good "skill" in every area, but still struggles with reading the game defensively, and Carter-Vickers is an absolute brick wall defensively who's very good in the air and rarely makes defensive mistakes.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Three thread eligible players were in the FCD game. Zimmerman and Gonzalez started, and did well. Acosta came off the bench for Grueso. I suspect Craft is with the Dallas Cup team in order to regain fitness after recovering from injury. Zendejas is still out injured.

Other thread eligibles (Bonner, Herman, Guillen) not in the 18. Homegrown Moises Hernandez has disappeared off the face of the FCD map. Nobody seems to know why.

8. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Olave was red carded and will not be available for RSL's next game. Hopefully this means that Justen Glad will start or at least get more playing time.

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He can't be worse than Olave. He's done. Great MLS-level player in his prime, but he's done.

Both NYRB and RSL had obvious holes in CB this off-season, and neither did enough to address them. This Ghanaian that NYRB got looks decent, but Zubar is terrible.

10. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fore sure for this game Acosta was on the bench. He came in tale on fire though and that might be the reason that Pareja wanted him on the bench. With four really good defensive mids with different strengths they will likely be rotated around all year between form, cards and callups.

11. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    A young man who I don't see mentioned here often, Keegan Roosenberry is starting for the Union, and he's been consistently doing so all season.

Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Revs have Zach Herivaux on the bench. If this game gets out of control, which its looking like it might, they could throw him on. Why not?

13. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Roosenberry has been playing well

14. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably not mentioned because he's 22 and only just know really getting consistent PT.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rosenberry is very confident on the ball, looks decent going forward, and is a good crosser. He's been exposed a little bit on the defensive side, especially against F. Castillo (though a lot of MLS fullbacks have experienced that).

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  16. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    Well he was drafted this year, if Georgetown would have won ship I could see him in Vincent's spot.

17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he left footed? Because that changes everything

18. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #9918 Mario Balotelli, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    Sounds like confirmation bias on your part. I've watched every minute he's played for BVB and his teammates don't hesitate to pass to him one bit and his passing definitely hasn't been a weakness. If anything, he's struggled with the physicality when trying to take defenders on and making challenges. The half against Leverkusen was the most congested, least attractive half of German football I've ever seen and he managed created BVB's best chance of the half. Anyway, I thought he was years from a pro debut but I wasn't going around calling other posters insane for disagreeing with me.

A 17 year old needs a few years to make it at the top level, oh the horror. :ROFLMAO:

deejay, FlipsLikeAPancake and Winoman repped this.
  19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Castillo was a tough assignment for him in his first professional game!

Zach Herivaux did get onto the field for New England yesterday, which was his MLS debut. The game itself was essentially over as NE was down a man and two goals behind. He did, however, look composed and professional. He looked like he fit in. Hopefully he'll get more opportunities.

Whatever people say about the Revs academy, the homegrowns that they have signed have become first team players. Before Herivaux, they'd signed only two homegrown players. Those are two starters Caldwell and Fagundez. They sign players for a purpose, not as cheap roster filler. One suspects that Herivaux will be given opportunities.

Femi Hollinger-Jansen made his debut as well. He's a '93, and I assume he's an American citizen now.

His story is truly remarkable. Read this...................feel good about the world for a brief second.

https://imahoosier.indiana.edu/femi.html

eneste and Sup Bro repped this.
  20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Name: Femi Hollinger-Janzen
    Position: Forward
    Height: 6-0
    Weight: 174
    Hometown: Goshen, Ind. (Cotonou, Benin)
    Date of Birth: December 14, 1993
    Nationality: USA
    LastClub: Indiana University
    Kit Number: 88
    http://www.revolutionsoccer.net/pos...revolution-sign-forward-femi-hollinger-janzen

21. Boniek

Boniek Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I've watched every minute as well. How do you explain Pulisic touching the ball a handful of times the whole half and then Reus coming on and immediately changing the complexion? News flash: That gap in quality will be their at Dortmund next year, and most likely the year after that.

There's been at least 7-8 times I've seen this year where Pulisic has received the ball and not turned in the direction to open up space for himself. He either back passes, passes laterally, or occasionally gets going forward in space where he can be dangerous (the fanboys only mention these moments). You guys have consistently ignored Pulisic's mediocre play in the middle third linking up. Funny thing is that from the beginning I never said Pulisic was bad, in fact I said he was one of our best. I just thought he wouldn't make the bench because that would keep established players off the roster. Turns out Leitner and Castro have been preferred at AM since Sahin and Bender came back.

In general, I go weeks or longer without posting on this board and then I see a post or posts that rile me up enough to say something. Like the posts anointing a Miazga kid who's former teammates anonymously trash him and who's agent simply wanted a new residence in Trump Tower. Obviously the Pulisic situation is different. But can we just be honest with ourselves about player weaknesses?

If you think I'm being too negative... well it's a response to delusional positivity.

I mean come on. We have posters talking about a u20 team with Kwelle, Saucedo, Pulisic, Zelalem, and Kyle Scott on the field at the same time. This team couldn't win the ball back from a 3 yo child. Do we have an 8 in the pipeline (no). Do we have a 6 (definitely no). Do we have outside backs that started working on their technique before age 10 (impossible). Let's be real guys.

22. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game opened up significantly in the second half because neither team could keep up the same defensive intensity and pressing. Obviously Reus will be more effective, he's one of the best wingers in the world. Is anyone arguing he's on Reus' level?

News flash: Reus is injury prone and Pulisic will continue to improve. Yeah, he won't be a starter and they'll probably bring in reinforcements on the wing, but being viewed upon as a squad player for the next few years is still great for his development. Yes, he's played it safe more often than not...hardly unsurprising for young talents to not try to force the issue and play it safe. The more he's out there, the quicker he'll become more comfortable being more proactive in the attack.

Yeah, don't group me with the "fanboys". I'm a fan of the national team, not individual players, and you'll find searching through my posting history that I try to offer unbiased assessments of guys in our pool.

I've read most of the reviews from German publications and BVB fans/blogs and most have a similar opinion - he looks like he belongs out there, has some flashes of positive play, but rarely very impactful. He's viewed as legitimate bench option, which is still incredible for a 17 year old on one of the world's top teams.

Leitner is hardly an attacking option. He's a box to box midfielder who offers some bite in the midfield. The reason Christian was seeing minutes is because they were getting nothing out of Adrian Ramos who's stepped it up lately.

Why would do you let overzealous posters (most likely teenagers and/or fans who don't know much about the European game) get to you? Delusional positivists are more bearable than condescension and name calling.

As for Miazga, well I think he has the talent to make it a good European level. Not at Chelsea for the next few years, but he'll land on his feet somewhere but that's a discussion for another day.

Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Made MLS Team of the Week:

Tom Collingsworth and bballshawn repped this.
  24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Good read.

Why does he go to school 90 minutes away from the NYRB training facility? Shouldn't he go to school in the area? Where he comes from is much farther than 90 minutes away, so that just confuses me as well, since it doesn't make sense that he'd still be living at home, but I hope he gets some playing time this season, that would be really good.