Youngsters in MLS (1993 or later)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Real Corona, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I didn't see this game, but Redding is going to blow away the rest of the field in terms of U20 minutes this season.

Khiry Shelton in this game?

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #9877 ussoccer97531, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    I was also very impressed with Redding. He reads the game well beyond his years and times his challenges well. He also passes very well and moves well. He's not that good aerially yet, but thats to be expected for a young CB who isn't 1000 feet tall like Miazga or doesn't have crazy aerial ability from only average height for a CB like Carter-Vickers. He should get stronger, and more aggressive in the air, although I don't think that part of his game will ever be dominant, thats just not the kind of player I think he'll be. He doesn't even go up for set pieces at this point in his career.

For those that haven't seen him play, a comparable would be someone like Besler. Very mature and reliable game from the CB position, which probably is why Redding was able to standout as a '97 on a U-17 team made up of mostly 96's, and why he is able to stand out as one of the best players in his 5th career MLS game at age 19. Most young players struggle to adjust to the pace of high level pro games, I don't think thats a problem for Redding.

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Twitter's reaction. There's a lot more, can only include 5 tweets in one post.

710998938032205824 is not a valid tweet id

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Khiry Shelton was decent. He wasn't bad by any means, but didn't impose himself on the game at all either. And being down, they pulled him from the game ..... which isn't generally the best sign for an attacker.

Back to Redding though, you missed a masterclass from him. He did have a time or two when I thought he was a touch too dangerous around the box going in on people, but they were plays that more experienced players would make and you'd be fine with it. But man was he quick in scraps for the ball. Plus, you couldn't move him off the ball as an attacker. He seems to pass pretty well for his age (he didn't just panic and boot the ball up when a player got within 10 yards of him). And this kid just turned 19 in January? Good grief. He is a year ahead of Matt Miazga, in terms of full time minutes, assuming he remains an established starter. And from what I see, he BETTER remain the full time starter (barring injury) because he is clearly better than Hines and Collin at this stage.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  5. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching Redding and Hines on the same field makes me laugh about people who bemoaned not calling up Hines to the senior team because he was "getting minutes in a quality league." And hence was obviously good.

6. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Redding is good. Looks like we're gonna have a good solid pair of CBs this U20 cycle as well.

7. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, he's a great example of this....perhaps especially because he never even got as many minutes as you'd have thought, when you really look at it, given the cries for him to play for the US. He never started more than 20 games in a season in the Championship. He had some injury spells, but also some bench spells.

I distinctly recall a poster or two counting down the time until he could no longer file a switch to play for the US (in the days before they lifted the age cap on that process).

It sure looks like it. Right now it's Tommy Redding - 270, Everybody Else - 0

8. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    #ReddingIsTheNewMiazga...

Also I expect Glad to get some real minutes here soon, RSL's centerbacks have been bleh.

ussoccer97531 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. Boniek

Boniek Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Redding has waayy better feet than Miazga and is wayy calmer on the ball. Also don't think he is dumb enough to jump to a team above his league.

Tom Collingsworth and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  10. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be nice Boniek. I do agree he is calmer on the ball with better feet though. I just wouldnt say Miazga is "dumb" for going to Chelsea. It may not be the best decision for playing time and such, but I understand how a young player would come to that decision.

11. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol

12. gtstock

gtstock Member

Jun 6, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Love the conclusive analysis here from watching 1 professional game. I like Redding, and think he has potential to have a similar rise as Miazga did, but lets not get too far ahead of ourselves here.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Lets not nitpick based on the tone, Boniek is right that Redding plays a very different style from Miazga. To relate it to the CB's on our NT, he's a lot more Besler than Brooks or Omar.

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Polster and Vincent start for Chicago. Trapp starts for Columbus. Fernandez and Calistri on the bench for Chicago.

USAMEX10 repped this.
  15. Boniek

Boniek Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    #9890 Boniek, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    I watched the other games he started this season and the one game he subbed in for injured Donovan last season. I watched maybe 5-6 of his games as a 17 yr old for Orlando in USL, a "professional" league; also I loved his game when playing for U17s. Kid was cool as a cucumber and just looked nonchalant on the ball playing kids his age. Decent but not spectacular athleticism and size (don't think he was in the best of shape his first year in MLS); kid appears really smart; his mother's Twitter account is all links to science articles and American Humanist Society and progressive social causes. I've seen a couple from Tommy as well. Everything points to smart, cerebral player with requisite touch. Oh, also, Tommy is often at charity soccer events for children and is really involved in the community. He seems mature beyond his years.

Miazga is in way over his head, imo. He doesn't have the calm and the ability to get his feet right in the box. He barely had to defend deep all year playing for Red Bulls. Completely different players.

16. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Do we really have to rip on a player to say you like another. One of the main reasons NYRB won the supporter's shield is because of how well Miazga played, one of the main reasons the US U20s made it to the Qtrs conceding only 1 goal when he played and held champion scoreless was because of Matt Miazga. His footwork is fine.
    I hope we get a lot of good players playing well. Tommy Redding is a work in progress and doing well.

17. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's also the same guy that said anyone who thought Pulisic would play minutes this season was clinically insane and that he was essentially being brought along with the first team to give Passlack company. Predictably, he hasn't shown his face in there since. :ROFLMAO:

18. Boniek

Boniek Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    You win. I was wrong. Sahin and Bender were out injured. Since then save for Tottenham minutes he hasn't made bench. Pulisic struggled in his few games exactly how I said he would--passing. Predictably he has done well feinting and getting beyond his man with speed and quickness. Seems to me like in the game against Leverkusen his teammates were trying as hard as they could NOT to pass to him. Great player as far as USA goes. Needs years to make it at top level every week, as does Miazga.

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Pair? We could have 5-6 solid CB options for this U20 team.
    So much so that you wonder if one or two of them can be tried as a defensive midfielder...............................

As a long time fan of our youth programs, I can't remember any time when we've had as many solid CB prospects under the age of 23 as we do now. I mean, Brooks and Miazga alone is a great combo for the future. Miazga is only 20 right now.

ussoccer97531 and FlipsLikeAPancake repped this.
  20. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was talking about our starting XI.

21. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Just not true. Saw the game. And space was so limited Dortmund couldn't pass to anyone. Why so angry.

Mario Balotelli and bballshawn repped this.
  22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He doesn't play for Villarreal. ;)

I have to disagree with you though, I don't think his teammates want to pass to him. I don't think its because they think he's bad, but some of these guys are world class professional footballers and here comes this 17 year old yank who they've never heard of. There have been at least a few moments this season where he could've had a goal if a pass was made, but Auba was very selfish.

At the same time, I agree with Boniek's point about the differences between Miazga and Redding. Miazga is excellent defensively, but his passing is not good for the level he's now at. Carter-Vickers is another one who I think is excellent defensively, but doesn't look confident on the ball. To me, Redding and Palmer-Brown are much better with the ball than Miazga and Carter-Vickers, but I agree that we don't have to insult any of them. We hope they all become excellent players. I thought that important distinction should be made though.

Also, in case anyone cared, Acosta has been benched. Zimmermann starting for FCD, Mex-Am Jesse Gonzalez also starting for FCD.

23. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see this the same way you do. Redding and EPB look much more comfortable with the ball at feet than Miazga and CCV. That doesn't mean they will be better long-term players th0ugh. I am still a little worried about EPB's mentality, for example. But he has all the freaking skills. A lot of being successful is going to come down to their work ethic and perseverance, so we will just have to hope at least a couple of them continue their ascent. But there are lots of ways to skin a cat, as the saying goes.

24. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    #9899 SUDano, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    I guess we'll all have one big disagreement party. I really like Miazga's ball skill. Watched everyone of his NYRB and USMNYT games and he's good. Didn't see Redding's game on Friday but saw his last game against Chicago and he has a terrible habit of taking little steps before making passes. His economy of footwork is lacking. It should be like a repetitive dance step. He also one 3 occasions just made terrible passes past his LB and RB kicking it out of bounds with no pressure because of poor fundamentals and footwork. He looked very dejected after doing it knowing he just miskicked the balls. I hope everyone's ultimately really good.

25. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    seattle van is a good youngsters game