Youngest Players to make 2022 WC Roster

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Sep 25, 2020.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Pick eight players. The objective is to pick the five youngest players the 2022 World Cup roster. You get three picks that can be wrong, but you must ace the other five. Can anyone get all of them right?

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    My current projected 23 has 6 00s - Aaronson, Dest, Richards, Sands, Sargent and Weah - 2 01s - de la Fuente and Llanez - and 2 02s Busio and Reyna.

I'm not breaking them down into months of birth.

I know that's more than 8 but it's six-way tie for fifth-youngest!

TimB4Last and Winoman repped this.
  3. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    1. Evan Rotundo (18)
    2. Johnathan Gomez (19)
    3. Johan Gomez (21)
    4 Ulysses Llanez (21)
    5 Sergino Dest (22)
    6 Reyna (20)
    7 josh Sargent (22)
    8. Tim weah (22)

I don't see any reason for them to litter the roster with a bunch of 18-20 year olds. If these guys make the roster i would probably be surprised but I give them an outside shot. (Dest is probably a lock)

We have enough guys in the 22-28 range to field an experienced roster of mostly European based players and that is what we should probably roll with. I could see them taking younger strikers if they are tearing it up at the club teams in Europe ( Johan at Porto first team etc)

TimB4Last repped this.
  4. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    This is a bit confusing and seems to indicate that you’d be surprised if Reyna made the team.

5. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    I can see that it was not clear.

My comments were not towards all of them and they weren't listed in order of who I thought had greatest chances. I expect Reyna, Dest and Sargent have greatest odds of making it.

TimB4Last repped this.
  6. Boysinblue

Boysinblue Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reyna, Kayo, De La Fuente, Llanez, Aaronson, Dest, Richards, Sargent

TarHeels17 repped this.
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Richards, Sands, Aaronson, Dest, Llanez, de la Fuente, Busio, Reyna. Sargent and Weah are the two oldest.

8. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    If that's true we're going to have a very young team!

USSoccerNova and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    ‘01: Llanez, de la Fuente, Araujo, Johnny Tessmann
    ’02: Reyna
    ‘03: Pepi, Nyeman

I’ll start back to front because that’s how this list works. The youngest in 2014 was Green who turned 19 during the tournament. Nyeman similarly turns 19 during the tournament, so I don’t feel like it makes much sense to not have a late ‘03 or younger. Our players are also getting better and are better at a younger age than in 2014. This roster should skew younger.

I didn’t think there were any obvious candidates for ‘04. I could see an ‘04 making it, but the question is who. I would say at this point that I think Malick Sanogo is most likely, but I don’t think it’s likely enough to pick him for this list. I could even see an ‘05 having a chance. They’d be 16/17 during this tournament. Reyna would’ve likely earned a cap at 17.5 without COVID and Pulisic did at 17.5 without COVID, so it’s possible. I don’t see any obvious candidates. There are some very talented 05’s, but between club situations, styles of play, depth at their club, integration of academy players, I don’t think any will be NT players at that point.

With the 03’s, I think it’s a very talented age group, but a lot of players without stable situations (Chifamba, Gomez, Sarver, Bernal, Cuevas, etc). Pepi and Nyeman are the only two I think have stable enough club situations to make the team. I considered Gomez, but he’s likely not playing anywhere in Europe until January of 2022. I think late 2022 will come a little too soon. I think early 2023 is a more likely timeline for when he’d be a NT player.

In ‘02, I considered Scally, Bello, KHF, and Kayo. I think Kayo has a great club situation, but I’m not convinced he’ll be good enough, especially at his age. KHF’s club situation isn’t as good. Same team, but he’s in the U-19’s, like Llanez was last year. Kayo is with the U-23’s. Bello could make it, but another I think won’t be good enough at that age. Scally could make a run at this team because I think he has a great club situation at Gladbach.

Llanez, Konrad, Johnny and Araujo all are likely to make it IMO due to their club situations. They are far enough along at the club level that they should be NT players by then. The last spot could’ve went to Tessman, Booth, Otasowie or Bassett. I think Bassett probably isn’t good enough at that age to make it, despite a good club situation. What’s Otasowie’s club situation going to be like? I don’t trust English clubs. I think Booth suffers from the same current problem that Richards does. I think he’ll be good. I don’t think he’s going to make it at Bayern. I think it’ll take him longer to break through. I thought Tessmann has the best combination of a good club situation and the talent to make this team.

Luksarus and TimB4Last repped this.
  10. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I think I may come at this a slightly different way than some others.

If I take my roster today, the five youngest would be:

Giovanni Reyna (11/13/02)
    Sergino Dest (11/3/00)
    Josh Sargent (2/20/00)
    Tim Weah (2/2/00)
    Tyler Adams (2/14/99)

Of those, I think most are solid to make the team, but Weah and Sargent would be the lead solid. Tyler is the oldest, so he's on the block as well. Reyna and Dest are non-injury locks.

Taking into account position (both in terms of weakness and veteranness) and upside, here are my consideration set:

CB: Generally reserved for vets, but is a wide open position right now.
    CB Mark McKenzie (2/25/99)
    CB Owen Otasowie (1/6/01) - seems a long shot
    CB Chris Richards (3/28/20)

RB: We're too deep to take someone younger than Dest
    RB Julian Araujo (8/13/01) - may be too good to keep home
    RB Bryan Reynolds (6/28/01) - upside is there, but it's a long shot

LB: Well, there's a real need here even if Berhalter has leaned defensive
    LB Kobe Hernandez Foster (6/26/02)
    LB Johnathon Gomez (9/1/03) - Would need to explode onto the scene given age and position
    LB George Bello (1/22/02) - still lots of potential but would need a step change

CM: Depth is a real possibility
    CM Paxton Pomykal (12/17/99) - I know everyone will discount for injuries, but if he is healthy, how is he not on this team?
    CM James Sands (7/6/00) - Not enough passing for Berhalter, but if he makes a move and performs at a higher level, couldn't he beat out what is a slumping and declining backup central midfield for the US?
    CM Gianluca Busio (5/28/02) - too much work on defense to do here
    CM Johnny (9/20/01) - Berhalter knows him ... and that's all I got here
    CM Tanner Tessman (9/24/01) - Has the passing skills, composure; can he develop the bite fast enough?
    CM Bryang Kayo (7/27/02) - Been called in, but I can't see him making the offensive gains necessary to pull this spot on the roster.

CAM: Who's coming for Sebastian Lletget's job?
    CAM Richie Ledezma (9/6/00) - the guy here most likely to become an offensive player that can't be ignored, but the rise of Reyna puts a lot more question here
    CAM Moses Nyeman (5/5/03) - If he makes it, I feel like it's as the last member of the roster as a speculative pick. And I'm not sure that's his game.
    CAM Brenden Aaronson (10/22/00) - He has positional flexibility that really could give him a good edge, along with defensive work rate that makes it easier to bring a young player. In a lot of ways, he's not far off Lletget
    CAM Matko Milijevic (5/9/01)

There's probably more players here that deserve listing ... but why? If I pick a CAM on this list, it's coming from Ledezma or Aaronson, I think, with only Moses giving me some heartburn.

Winger: There's gonna be someone

LW Uly Llanez (4/2/01)
    RW Konrad de la Fuente (7/16/01)
    LW Johan Gomez (7/23/01)
    RW Niko Gioachinni (7/25/00)

Uly has a cap and has demonstrated that he's a very real option for the Johnathon Lewis instant-offense role off the bench behind Pulisic. Konrad has a more fluid and all-around offensive game but may be progressing to a level that can't be denied. Niko was invited into a camp already as well, but I'll be honest, I've never seen more than a highlight or two, so I can't gamble on him.

All are competing with a strong all-around winger corp: Pulisic, Morris, Weah, Reyna, before even mentioning Arriola, Tyler Boyd and Johnathon Lewis who all may be presenting strong aspects at that point.

I think we see one young, instant offense player, and that's it.

CF: Less open for the taking than one might think
    CF Ricardo Pepi (1/9/03)
    CF Folarin Balogun (7/3/01)
    CF Sebastian Soto (7/28/00)
    CF Malick Sanogo (6/30/04)

Soto seems like the clear leader here, with me giving the other's the puncher's chance of a massive breakthrough (or in Balogun's case, an upset in team selection).

But there's no way we bring Sargent and only another young striker. I just can't see any international coach rolling out Josh + even Soto and having that be his striker corps.

So if there's one of these guys, either Sargent isn't there; there's mass injuries; or we're bringing three strikers (very possible, with Weah and Morris able to double time).

The decision.

I think we overrate youth, so I'm going with three of my original five as locks:

Sergino Dest (11/3/00)
    Josh Sargent (2/20/00)

Tyler is exempted until I see how much youth is coming. Weah gets tossed into the consideration set.

Before injuries, how many and what spots are open?

I count at least 3 GK, 5 Defenders, 3 MFs, 2 Wingers, 1 Striker as absolute locks to not have someone from the last five on my list (I could get burned on GK, but I don't believe so).

So, the potential openings are:

1-2 CBs
    Backup LB
    3 Backup MF Slots
    Backup wingers
    Backup Striker

Narrowed Down Set:
    CM Paxton Pomykal (12/17/99)
    CM Bryang Kayo (7/27/02)
    CAM Brenden Aaronson (10/22/00)
    CAM Richie Ledezma (9/6/00)
    W/CF Tim Weah (2/2/00)
    LW Uly Llanez (4/2/01)
    RW Konrad de la Fuente (7/16/01)
    RW Niko Gioachinni (7/25/00)
    CB Chris Richards (3/28/00)
    RB Julian Araujo (8/13/01)

Is it weird I don't have a LB here? Despite it being our weakest position, I just can't see us running out Antonee Robinson and another young, attacking LB in a World Cup. KHF would be my pick of the group, and perhaps he breaks through at 19.

I am firmly confident Paxton should make this roster if healthy. Kayo is a wildcard pick and since I have a big list, he's out. Morales is still a factor. Richie is more talented than Aaronson, but Aaronson brings more defense, which coaches love and more versatility. Both will be fighting with Lletget and Holmes, the former of which is looking great. And Roldan. Gag.

Sands. I am already regretting Sands not making this round.

I think Richards and McKenzie are both real options, but both? I'd be shocked ... unless Ream ends up at CB/LB. Gotta go with the pure potential even though I love Mark's improvement.

Araujo's versatility helps him here; there's not likely a ton of room at RB, but we don't have a ton of guys who can do RB/RW/RM.

I need to pick 1-2 of these wingers and I don't want to: Niko is out because he may not select the US and I've never seen him. Timo is in because he's the most well-rounded. I think Uly will fit the instant offense role better so he's tentatively in over Konrad at the moment.

Final Final.
    Tim Weah (2/2/00)
    Josh Sargent (2/20/00)
    Chris Richards (3/28/00)
    Brenden Aaronson (10/22/00)
    Sergino Dest (11/3/00)
    Uly Llanez (4/2/01)
    Konrad de la Fuente (7/16/01)

This is tough. I don't actually think we will have a ton of teenagers on the squad, but I could see an Araujo, Soto or even James Sands knocking me out.

I'm fairly certain five of these guys make the squad. I pretty certain I won't miss by more than one. But it does seem a decent chance there's one guy younger I don't have. If I were to pull Weah, Sargent (and Richards) for younger players, though, I think there's only 2 locks left and I'd only be comfortable getting 3 in total (one winger).

11. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    I would bet a few of the guys in your very well done list are unavailable for one reason or another, which might open up an opportunity for another young player on the roster. Names that I would consider long shots individually but maybe a decent chance that one from the group goes:

Harper ('01)
    Efra ('02)
    Sealy ('03)
    Paredes ('03)
    Cuevas ('03)
    Okoh ('03)

* We are still more than two years from the World Cup.

12. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reyna
    Konrad
    Llanez
    Araujo
    Richards
    Aaronson
    Dest
    Ledezma

I played this based on the rules - I don't see a situation where all of these guys make it but I'm hedging a bit with some picks. I think one of Konrad and Llanez makes it and one of Aaronson and Ledezma make it. So that's 2, and with Dest, Reyna and Richards (simply because we have little CB depth and there's no way in my mind he's not in the top 4 in 2 years, if not already), that makes 5 guys. Thus, So, the last guy of the 8 I was going to pick was a lottery who had to be younger than at least Ledezma.

I really thought about Kayo. I think he's a position where we have open spots and just on the precipice of moving up lists like this but he's just not there yet. I'm guessing in a month that I'm gonna regret not putting him on here.

I think Pepi, JoGo, Kayo, Otasowie, and Johnny are all good shouts, especially the mids. All those guys would fill slots that really aren't occupied by much of a barrier to entry currently. I'd be pretty surprised if one of those three doesn't slide in, but based on how the game works I didn't pick any. I didn't pick Otosowie or Johnny simply because I never think I understand the trajectory for guys that have been in Europe the whole time, and Dest is the only one that's worked out in a bit. Thinking about it, Johnny seems pretty obvious to pick considering he plays at a position of need and Berhalter likes him, but he could also pull a Jonathan Gonzalez and disappear.

Obviously someone's gonna be injured and this exercise will be moot but I think we should still count a player if they get injured and should've made it.

Overall, I'm pretty confident 5 of these guys make it so I wouldn't pick anyone older. Maybe a keeper, that'd be great! No player would make me happier to see I missed on than a keeper born in 2000 or later. Overall, it's a fun exercise that really emphasizes how aesome our pool is becoming, and that's just the guys we know pretty well about.

Boysinblue, frankburgers and TimB4Last repped this.
  13. CZM4

CZM4 Member

United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Reyna, Kayo, Johnny, Harper, Gioacchini, Dest, Sargent, Weah

14. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    #14 gogorath, Sep 27, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    Yeah, injuries are a real thing and can frankly wreak havoc on picks here. I'm not sure they change my overall viewpoint that much as I just don't see a coach selecting that much youth.

I think there's two ways to "lose" this:
    • You don't have five of your eight make the roster
    • You have five of your eight make the roster, but there's someone younger than your oldest member of the eight
    (There's a third way, which is both together, but it's just losing in two ways....)

Most folks above seem to have gone with the first option. I'm pretty comfortable, even with the lost generation still factoring in, with going with the second. Playing it very safe with four of my eight -- even if someone a bit risky like Weah -- still feels right.

Where I probably screwed up was playing it a bit safe with my other four. It's hard to individually argue the logic against any of them (except maybe Aaronson over Ledezma) but I really don't have the next version of Pulisic or Gio Reyna in "8" and that's probably what gets me.

I was very confident about Pulisic and Reyna being stars at 15-16. They had a combination of some kind of physical ability (speed, in Puli's case) and the poise and skill needed to make a national team that young.

Who are those kids right now that could be that player? I admit, I haven't seen a player I put into that camp yet, but my coverage of prospects is so much less than some on here.

Who are those guys? The super high upside guys. Efra and Sanogo, probably, if the former really commits? Kayo? Okoh? Sealy? Johnny? Otasowie? Araujo? Araujo seems like a decent shout.

I think at the end of the day, I struggled to find someone likely to commit to the US, likely to have the skill and athleticism to force the situation at the position they play.

But it's tough to take back pretty much anyone but Aaronson off my list: Llanez, Konrad, Richards. I mean, Richards is as high upside as anyone, plays a position of need -- it's just too bad it's CB.

15. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    I agree. I wouldn't choose any of the guys on my list because they are just not that likely to be in the World Cup squad. It's impossible to pick the guys who will be injured, so it makes no sense to choose a guy like Cuevas over Dest or Sealy over Llanez.

Your list seemed pretty exhaustive and covered just about all of the likely bases. I was just adding dark horse candidates that I think could have a real chance in the case that they progress a ton over the next 18 months and the case that a couple of guys in front of them are not available. Since your list went well beyond the original assignment to seemingly cover every potential candidate, I was trying to include a list of the dark horses so that it could be even more comprehensive.

gogorath repped this.
  16. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    This seems to be the most logical 8

17. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reyna, Sargent, Weah, Dest, Llanez, Richards, Konrad, Kobe

18. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Reyna
    Sargent
    Adams
    Weah
    Dest
    Llanez
    Cardoso
    Richards

19. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Cardoso is a good call. I tend to forget him because I don't see him, but he plays a position of need, already has Berhalter interest and is actually playing at a reasonably high level.

20. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Adams
    Weah
    Sargent
    Dest
    Reyna
    De la Fuente
    Richards
    Llanez

21. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    Biggest issue here is Cardoso plays the same position as Berhalters son.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  22. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Since Gregg is the person who has chosen to pursue Johnny, brought him to the attention of the press and public... how does that jive with this conspiracy theory of leaving a spot open for Seb Berhalter?

Before Gregg brought him up, he was a random Brazilian most people would have never heard of. I assume this is all a diabolical plan to give him deniability?

Much like when everyone assured me that Wil Trapp would never lose his starting spot.

Balerion and deejay repped this.
  23. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    Surely you could tell it was a joke?

gogorath repped this.
  24. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The youngest teams of note in the last WC were France & England (incidentally both did well, so maybe WC experience is overrated).

England's 5 youngest: 19, 20, 22, 22, 23
    France's: 19, 21, 22, 22, 22

Our squad will probably resemble theirs in age composition (probably not achievement, but who knows, let's think big), maybe a little younger even because the US' burgeoning academies, where the young talent supersedes the old on average by a large margin in ability.

So I think the 5 youngest will all be low to mid 22's at the oldest. That surely excludes your Pulisics', Adams', & McKennies'. And even probably your Sargents', Weahs', & Richards'; who will be on the verge of 23.

The WC is over 2 years from now. If one player makes it as a teen, ala for France & England, we probably don't have a clear picture on that kid right now. They'd likely be in an American academy/usl or just starting to emerge in MLS. Not likely a Euro academy. Firstly they have to be Euro dual nats to go over before 18. Less & less are being inclined to do that. So then it would be someone who grew up over there, like Sanogo.

This is my group:

Paredes - 19, lefty, mentally mature, versatile, already 1 of best w/ club
    Reyna - 20, only slam dunk
    Bello - 20, lb, u-20's, u-23's, senior team oppos, starter for club
    Bassett - 21, well-rounded, smart, swag, u20 WC, Col committed to youth
    Llanez - 21, need another wing, showed well @ all levels, good loan
    Otasowie - 21, need cb, no weakness, could make it w/ Wolves or loan
    Araujo - 21, u-20 WC, Olympics, NT, starter, versatile, fast, competitor
    Dest - 22, Barcelona #1 or #2, slam dunk if not for borderline age

hm:

KDLF - worried he could be in limbo, & still only provided moderate proof
    B. Aaronson - a little on old side, last cut