Young Turk Jozy Altidore: it's been Villarreal [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by sidefootsitter, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Hehe the level of the league has gone down since '95 or so, since the Bosman-arrest.
    When we think we've had the worse, it still gets worse every year.
    But let's be honest, Michael Bradley developed himself in a good way here.

On the other hand. Our sub top 3 teams win against Italian sub top 2 teams most of the time, and our top teams also got good results against their top teams. The same with German teams, only Bayern Munchen is above our level when looking at head to head matches for the last years.
    Quite an achievement with a 'boys league', because all our grown ups are being bought by rich clubs.
    Maybe our level is not that bad as we think, or the Italian and German leagues are overrated.
    Think that Altidore can do some nice things, considering his physique.

2. DontJustStareAtIt

Jul 2, 2011
    Across all competitions, where you can score 5 in a cup or qualification round of the europa league 8-0 win, says little. 10 league goals should be no problem. I say over.

3. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    its not that easy. jozy wont play right away. first he has to heal hammy. then get back to match fitness. then break into starting line up.

4. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEBU-uOh5pA"]‪JOZY ALTIDORE 07 15 11‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

talking about transfer

5. MLSn00b

MLSn00b Member

Apr 3, 2008
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agent Zed recruits the new Agent J: Jozy at AZ

... Kinda long:D

6. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He was on the same station tonight during radio Sportstalk. Talked about the move, Men's and Women's US national teams, the camp he is putting on, and about giving back due getting the benefit of other's generosity when he was a kid (apparently Andy Roddick paid his way to his private school).

7. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jozy Altidore: Immigrating to AZ

Don't know if it's been suggested but it's my try! :p

8. The_Dude

The_Dude Member+

Aug 21, 2004
    (Off to see) the Joziful Wizard of AZ? Perhaps a variation of that once he scores as many as robo jr.

9. Minnesota FC 518

May 22, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well he did leave the yellow brick road that is villareal, so it has potential.

10. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    They will most likely play them both in a 442, just like they did with El Hamdaoui and Dembele.

Altidore - Boymans

Gudmundsson - Martens - Elm - Holman

Klavan - Marcellis - Moisander - Poulsen

Romero​

11. DontJustStareAtIt

Jul 2, 2011
    So no Wernbloom starting. Is he competing with Jozy and Boymans for the forward positions? Used to play offensive mid in 4-2-3-1 or even forward in 4-4-2 before AZ, and plays defensive mid for the NT. Unlucky for him his coach van Gaal left as soon as he arrived.

12. vagegast

vagegast Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Herndon, VA
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  13. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    With so many new guys to fit in I honestly don't have that much of a clue how they will play, but with both Boymans and Altidore starting I can't see Wernbloom in the side because it would make it too attacking.

Wernbloom can be used as a back-up striker, but he's more of a cm. I think Martens (who most likely will be their captain) and Elm are their preferred cm duo, but they can push Martens further up the pitch in a free role on the lw and leave Boymans out to fit Wernbloom next to Elm.

14. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    I think the people from Alkmaar really can identify them with this team. Two Dutch players who are from Limburg, what's actually another country. Altidore and Boymans I don't see that happening. 2 big strikers. Not difficult to defend. I rate Boymans higher than Altidore, when looking at last season, but we haven't seen much of altidore the last years. Verbeek will make a fair decision.

15. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I'm not so sure, they are still also looking for a right winger and Verbeek tends to switch up formations throughout a season.

16. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Don't know much about Boymans game, but Jozy has shown that he plays at his best alongside another big striker that allows him to run.

17. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Which I think it part of the reason Ajax never picked him up despite all the rumors. His game isn't suited to playing up top in a single striker formation from what I can tell. Who knows though maybe he'll adjust.

18. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    ----------------Romero-------------
    Marcellis-Moisander-Viergever-Poulsen
    -------------------------------------
    -----Wernbloom-----------Elm--------
    ----------------Martens--------------
    --------------------------------------
    ??????--------Altidore--------Holman

19. Colombolq

Colombolq Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hauling AZ away from Villareal: Jozy at Alkmaar.

Or

Call Jozy big daddy when he backs that AZ up (at Alkmaar).

20. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Pérfect then

21. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

Sure it is, he just hasn't learned how to do so properly yet.

And Ajax didn't pick him up simply because they preferred someone else. They liked and like him fine.

A couple things: Wernblom cannot play there and Boymans is a much more likely starter, I think. Also, in this set, Maartens would play the LW. Holman generally plays the right.

To me, the key to this team could be how they handle the departure of Schaars. They do not at this moment seem to have a proper DM on squad - and this is after just a couple few years back, when they were loaded there with Schaars, De Zeeuw and Mendes da Silva.

Frankly, I think they need a proper DM more than they need a RW (which they do need if they intend to contend).

EDIT: The 4-3-3 they ran today.

Opstelling AZ vs MVV: Esteban; Marcellis, Moisander, Viergever, Poulsen; Wernbloom, Martens, Elm; Benschop, Boymans, Holman

Maybe Verbeek is giving Wernbloom a new position or maybe he is just covering there for now, dunno.

22. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    :confused: not really. altidore is usually with a smaller, faster striker.
    bursaspor-kenny miller(not faster)
    villarreal-marco ruben/rossi/nilmar
    USA- charlie davies/agudelo
    hull city- ???

23. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    At Hull, he was often the "small runner" of Vennegoor. And then some of the time, he was the #9.

For those wondering, Boymans is a bit like Kuyt (or perhaps a better comparison due to their appearance is Bojinov), a bullish and fiery type of playmaker who can play wide, up front or behind the front line.

24. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Not often enough, if you ask me.

25. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    im on AZ fan forum and they are saying villarreal could still change mind to udinese.:eek: i still cant see any sense in this. hopefully speculation. silly season right.;)