Young kids in the River End?

Discussion in 'Sons of Ben' started by Henryt, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Henryt

Henryt New Member

Aug 17, 2010
    Prospect Park, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you all think of bringing kids into the River End? OK?

My wife and I (both SOB members) are looking to get season tickets in the SS next year but we’ll have our 6 and 7 year olds with us. We have NO issues with bringing the kids (and they’re both vocal Union supporters) but I was wondering if other folks in the SS might.

At yesterday’s game I noticed that there were LOTS of empty seats in 134, 135 and 140 and I thought one of these sections might be ideal because the kids would still be able to sit and see the game if they get tired, etc.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Henry

2. billycol73

billycol73 Member

Jan 21, 2010
    Section 140 row B
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in 140 and I brought my 4 yr old daughter to a game with no problem. I told all the people who sit near me that I was going to bring her and that I did not want them to feel they have to clean up their act because she was there. I knew going in that she would hear words that I don't want her to ever repeat and was prepared to have to explain what she heard and why she couldn't say it. Hope that helps.

3. mansbro

mansbro Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Hatboro, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto. I've had my 9 yr old to a few games in the River End and he loves it!

4. nhlman10

nhlman10 Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Meh
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kids have no business in section 136,137,138. the other sections maybe but no one under the age of 10.

5. mansbro

mansbro Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Hatboro, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Opinion noted. Policy it's not.

6. yahmpy

yahmpy New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen them in 136, 137, and 138. As long as they are standing and cheering, I have no complaints.

7. sully127

sully127 Member

Apr 3, 2010
    138, C
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the only part where you may have an issue. If the kids are sitting, they aren't going to be able to see over/through the people in front of them who are standing.

8. TerrierFC

TerrierFC New Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're a parent who is able to say to your kids, "You might hear things here that you're not allowed to repeat", and that's fine with you, then I see no reason why you can't have your kids. If that's not your style, then that's totally fine too. But to each his (or her) own.

I don't have kids, but hope that when I do, and they're old enough to come to games, I hope to feel comfortable bringing them into the River End, and explain to them what it is like there. If they don't like it, or I find that I don't, then I'd move. But whatever you wanna do with your own kids is up to you. I've seen people with kids in the river end and they seem to have a blast.

9. Henryt

Henryt New Member

Aug 17, 2010
    Prospect Park, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey everyone- Thanks very much for your responses. It’s funny- anywhere else we’ve sat, both of my kids sing/chant along with the SOB and sometimes we are the only ones around our seats doing so. I think they’d have a blast in the RE and they definitely know already what they can not repeat. We are going to shoot for the upper rows of 134, 135 or 140.

Thanks!
    Henry

10. AnMaistin

AnMaistin Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a VERY tough issue in my opinion. On one hand I agree that if a parent feels comfortable enough bringing their child than they should. However, I have to say that it makes me a little uncomfortable when people bring their kids. I found myself censoring myself alot more than usual at the last game and basically toning it down because the guy infront of me had his daughter there who couldn't have been more than 6...

11. FC Matt 90

FC Matt 90 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like others have said, if you're okay with it, I say go for it. I personally wouldn't mind at all if someone around me brought their kids; my only concern would be whether or not the kids could see and, if it's a day game, if they can keep cool.

Some of the day games this year were triple digit heat index, and the water guys don't exactly come in the river end too often (at least not in 137), so weather is definitely something to consider. No shade in the river end definitely takes a toll on adults; I can only imagine it'd be worse on the wee ones. (Then again, the FO might change the day game-heavy schedule next year if enough people feel the same way that I do, so that may be a moot point)

As far as the whole seeing the game bit, perhaps front row or last row would be ideal. Front row because they could sit but still see all the action, and back row because (if they're small enough), you could go with the ol' piggy back for a couple of minutes if they're tired without blocking anyone's view behind you. Might not be feasible, but an idea.

My two cents, hope that helps.

Always good to start the next crop of SoBs as young as possible ;)

12. TerrierFC

TerrierFC New Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Solid point, but I think that this is the one place where you shouldn't censor yourself really. Parents should know (and by now they should DEFINITELY know) what it's like in the River End. If you're yelling really, really offensive things (racist, homophobic, etc. etc.), you probably shouldn't be yelling them anyway, no matter who is around. But once someone's up there with kids, it's their call to either move somewhere where people don't say those things, or they're fine with it (as I said before). It's not the place to turn and say, "Hey, tone it down, my kid is here."

13. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bring my kids and I havent had an issue with it. I don't bring them every game, but when I do, I do so without expecting anyone around me to change the way that they enjoy the game.

14. yahmpy

yahmpy New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I brought my kid(s), that's on me. I wouldn't expect anyone around me to check their behavior.

I know what the deal is there.

15. billycol73

billycol73 Member

Jan 21, 2010
    Section 140 row B
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I one thing I would suggest to keep in mind is 134 and 135 or close to the away supporters. I don't know what goes on over there but just from reading the boards it is different than 140.

16. BChaCha

BChaCha Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Definitely.

It would be a lot smarter to shoot for 139/140. No away support, and, sadly, a bit more tame.

17. yahmpy

yahmpy New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd have to break slitzie's balls a little.

"Excuse me, sir, my kid can't see the field with your flag in the way..." :D

18. Ruud11

Ruud11 Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Have season tickets for my 13yr old in section 138 and he loves it! He actually told me a funny story the other day: during his own practice they were practicing free kicks and he was part of the wall. Then he got the whole wall to sing our '..put it in the net...' song everytime someone tried to kick the ball. He came home with the biggest ever smile ...! He can't wait for the next game to attend!

19. ventur514

ventur514 Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As you can see, I have issue with it. Honestly, Gabe can hold his own with anyone in the River End. Break them in early and teach them what it is all about.

[​IMG]

(btw- awesome picture Brendan!)

20. mansbro

mansbro Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Hatboro, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That father should be arrested for subjecting his kid to such horrible, smokey conditions!!! :cool:

21. CrazyUnionBox

CrazyUnionBox Member

Mar 14, 2007
    137 Seat 1
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have brought my 5 year old and warned him not repeat anything (section 137) the only thing he said to me was that the one chant has a bad word in it... I taught him the Doopin version of it :)
    The only issue is that he has a problem being involved and pay attention for a full 90 but that is a problem in any section of the stadium.

22. Laudy

Laudy New Member

Nov 17, 2007
    Reinholds, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My son is 5 and has been to at least 4 or 5 games at PPL Park and there are no issues at all. Hell, at the City Islanders game in Harrisburg he was leading some chants. Sometimes I have to tone down the swearing because he polices me but he knows the difference between stadium language and everyday language. He even sings the "c'mon Union score a goal" chant and knows to leave the F-Bomb out of it.

To me it's a parents choice and I would NEVER even think for minute to make anyone around me change their behavior for my son. I know what I am bringing him into and it is my responsibility to teach my son right from wrong.

23. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you, parent of everyone elses children!

24. latecomer

latecomer New Member

Aug 16, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    you can't expect others to alter their behaviour, you can expect your kid to follow what you do - so you might tone down your own language in the chants. i was at soccer games from about 10 onwards and a 10 year old know what is ok to repeat and what is not ok. i wouldn't go much younger than that in the river end because of attention span and viewing issues, though. a younger kid will be bored in any part of the stadium, but at least they'll be able to see what's going on if they sit down!

25. Eugene_R

Eugene_R New Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I took my 6 year old to the last match and we sat in the RE. I explained to him beforehand that there are things that grownups say that are ok at soccer matches but not at school, mom's house, etc. and he was ok with that. The only time I even had to say something to him was when he started shouting for a KC player to "get up, p*ssy" which I'm pretty sure was my fault. I reiterated that was not very nice and that he was definitely not to say that outside of the stadium because it was inappropriate.

I guess if you feel comfortable that your kids can differentiate between acceptable match behavior and acceptable outside behavior then take them. If not, sit at the opposite end - you really can't hear much of the chants clearly enough that a small child would understand profanity with YSA being the notable exception. And even then, my kid runs around the house going "Oooooohhhh YOUR SOCKS HAVE HOLES"