You Tube causing Safari to crash on my Mac

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Scotty, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Just started having this problem. Two days ago I went to check out a video on You Tube. However it was slower than normal to load, and then it caused Safari to crash. Now every time I try to go to it the same thing happens.

There are a couple of other sites that cause the same problem. They are the FIFA website and SkySports.

And yesterday I did the latest security update for Mac, but it still keeps happening.

You Tube is a site that I like to go to frequently, and so this problem is particularly annoying.

Does anyone know what I can do to work it out? All help would be appreciated.

2. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, you can download Firefox for Mac:

http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-2.0.0.11&os=osx&lang=en-US

3. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Safari is known to have issues with Flash. Definitely go with Firefox for Mac.

4. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i've never had this trouble ... I go to all those same sites with Safari on my Mac. Is the problem the browser or something else on your Mac? did you try reinstalling safari?

5. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Thanks for the input, guys. And thanks for the link to Firefox. I had been wondering about that.

Ringo - until just a few days ago I never had any problem with You Tube either. And I used to be able to go to the SkySports and FIFA sites, too. But not anymore.

What would I have to do to reinstall Safari? Would I lose anything in the process? (please excuse my ignorance)

6. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in the same ignorance boat as you are when it comes to reinstalling (it sounds like a solution that might work) ... but I would imagine if you went the forums on apple.com you'd find an answer there. i've had few mac questions that couldn't be answered in those forums ... good people, good knowledge.
    shouldn't be too hard.
    best of luck. I went to those sites just before coming here and they all worked find. it's really odd ....

:)

7. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Something else I noticed is that I have no problems getting a You Tube video to play when it is embedded in another webpage. But the instant I try to go to a page at the You Tube url it crashes.

I'm not sure how much that narrows things down...

8. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    If you have 3rd party memory, check it. Stuff like this can sometimes be just the start.

9. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    What is 3rd party memory exactly?

And what might it be the start of?

(thanks)

10. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    did you upgrade your computer and use non-apple memory? that's third party -- it's like buying the store brand parts for your car instead of GM certified parts. I'm not saying it's bad, just an analogy.

I've had safari crash twice the last two days on me. once was a video (non YouTube -- it was on CNN) ... the other I can't remember.

11. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Ringo has it right above about what it is.

And the start of waaaaaay too much trouble. Serial crashing of applications, not able to to keep more than 3-4 applications open at any time, applications that will only stay open for a minute or two, if at all.

Apple will not take responsibility for 3rd party memory, but the good thing is that once removed, there's little, if any, lasting damage.

12. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Exact same thing was happening to me. Same websites and everything. I just updated to the most recent version of Safari and the problem went away.

13. CutePuppy

CutePuppy Red Card

Nov 14, 2006
    Safari has long long way to catch up with Firefox but still it's better than IE