You sounded great - thanks!

Discussion in 'Sons of Ben' started by DoctorD, Jul 10, 2010.

1. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Major props for you guys. From section 109 you sounded great tonight and set the tone for the rest of the stadium.

You are singing "Up the Union", and not F*** You, right? Not that I mind - it's pretty funny.

2. Lobezno1

Lobezno1 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100% agreed. The SoB's sounded excellent today. I look forward to hearing everyone the rest of the season.

3. SmashtheVan

SmashtheVan Member+

Jan 13, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    having multiple capos/leaders/whatever helped alot, at least for the 139-140 folks. While Bill("dont tread" flag) was taking the lead as capo for 140, i was the other guy down there helping out and towards the end stepped in between 139 and 140 at the bottom of the steps since he was over at the far end of the stands...which i might try doing for whole games if no one has a problem with that.

great improvement over last game though.

4. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah. 138 spread the songs much better. the guy in the front row with the pony tail, next to chapka... i'm sorry but I dont know your name. you (and chapka) did an excellent job of turning toward the rest of the section to help spread the songs

i also think the fact that we sang each song longer (or maybe it was just my imagination, but it seemed we were) really helped

5. Typhoon29

Typhoon29 New Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Agreed,

From 135 I had a much easier time hearing the songs/chants and the section overall had a much better atmosphere. All the drums were audible and in sync (no one in our section randomly banging drums to drown out the others).

Great showing tonight and I look forward to it only getting better!

6. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the girthy drum made all the difference :D That and a lot of people stepped up and helped out, and we made a conscious decision to stick with songs longer. Great job by a lot of people.

7. Io sono Unionista

Jun 24, 2010
    WE ARE 138, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'd like to thank 101, 102, and 103 for getting involved in some of our chants. I'm sure there were other sections too, those are just the areas I noticed.

8. LongTimeQuakesFan'74

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Nov 12, 2007
    Arlington, TX, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys did a good job. I was in 131 and your chants dominated. Good on ya, too. "Up the Union" surely sounds like the f-bomb to the unknowing.

9. D-Wall

D-Wall Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You sounded great on TV. Totally bummed to be on a business trip/vacation and had to miss the game. I watched on my phone with the sound cranked up.

It was by far one of the loudest Fox Soccer broadcasts I have ever seen. The new drum was great during the "Come on the U" chants.

I really thought the team was feeding off your energy and would get the go ahead goal. Total bummer they couldn't.

But awesome effort SOBs.

10. VandalRedSkin

VandalRedSkin New Member

May 11, 2010
    Philly
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I feel like we were definitely chanting better than last time, but still over in 139 half of the section is silent. can't we just boot these people out? :p

11. spiritof76

spiritof76 New Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

12. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sooooo who recorded the game and uploaded it and can send me a link clandestinely? Missed the game yet again...

13. Typhoon29

Typhoon29 New Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Just wanted to add that I watched the game on dvr when I got home.

The bass(ier) drum sounds excellent on broadcast. Maybe that was why I heard the drums so clearly in 135 this time. :p

14. McRob

McRob Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I watched on tv and I thought the River End sounded great. The new drum was noticeable and the chanting was louder. You guys opened especially strong.

I wish there was an option to turn off the commentary and just listen to the crowd like you were at the game. I was at the DC and Seattle games and now not being there is torture. As it stands now, I can only make one or maybe two games a month, and this month I can only make the Man U game and I won't be in the SS.

15. yahmpy

yahmpy New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I DVR'd the game. That's about as technologically awesome as I get, unfortunately.

The drum was fantastic. Pony tail dude between 137 and 138 earned his keep too. Good job with the flag Slitz. For obvious reasons, it looked like you were hesitant to fly it sometimes though.

One thing I did notice: can the side boards (electronic signage - not on the field, but above the side seats) that have the words to 4lc try to keep up with the song? awful job by the person in charge of running that at 20:10.

for those trying to follow along, they would have been totally lost.

Great job by the SS section, things are starting to come together.

16. dirtypete

dirtypete New Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Pottstown & 138 D1-4
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    FYI, I believe you're referring to venture514, Eric.

-pete

17. OutlawJW

OutlawJW Member

Jun 8, 2010
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm an SOB in 103 and have tried motivating people in our by chanting last game. SOB's in the river end really stepped it up this game and I can see the infection is starting to spread. Some were just clapping and doing some of the gestures, but its a start. I think as the season moves along 103 and surrounding sections will compliment our river end more. Major kudos for the improvement, it came accrossed clear and powerful.

18. yahmpy

yahmpy New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The FSC camera guy was talking to me at the half (he was operating the camera in the pit in front of 138), and he was saying that the FSC announcers (and other FSC people) were absolutely over the moon about how great the SoBs are. I was soooo fired up after that!

Hey! My wife, me and Slitz made it camera for the game intro!!

19. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, the guy next to me was about 80 years old and his son said he couldnt see when i waved the flag. i kept waving it, but it was still in the back of my mind... i know its the supporters section but i didnt want to completely disrespect an elderly guy. i talked to the son after the game and told him "this is the supporters section, you're gonna have to deal with this every game." he said he understood and wouldnt be bringing his pops back again

oh, cool. thanks

20. Houtz

Houtz New Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Please do!

I was in Row B seats 13/14. A buddy of mine has the season tickets and wasn't able to go. Told me it would be a hell of an experience. Boy was he ever right! My friend and I didn't sit once and joined in on all the chants/songs.

I'm sure it's going to be a real bitch to try and obtain but we're going to do WHATEVER it takes to get supporter's season tickets next year. In fact, I signed up for a SoB membership this morning. Step 1) DONE. Step 2) Pray for some openings.

Seriously tho it was amazing!

21. yahmpy

yahmpy New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what did you think of the couple next to you texting and not singing the whole game?

22. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they were ok. yeah they werent singing or anything, but they were interested. the guy is the one that owns the seats apparently, and he should be there every week. I was a little concerned when they and the people on the other side of me got there. both sides were new people and i was praying they werent just stubhub or ebay sales.

23. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what its worth 4LC was executed much better this game I thought... seems like more people are learning the words.

Also the Philadelphia Dale O seemed much stronger.

24. yahmpy

yahmpy New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'll give them the benefit of the doubt for it possibly being their first time. i'm not trying to be the fun police here, but they were pissing and moaning from the moment they sat down, did no singing whatsoever, and basically looked miserable the whole time.

I hope they get what the SS is about and lighten up next time.

25. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm pretty sure at least the guy "gets it". he was telling me about having gone to games in europe and loving the atmosphere.