You make the call

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Soccer Dad & Ref, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Soccer Dad & Ref

Oct 19, 2017
    San Diego
    U14 Girls Cal South State Cup Presidents. Round of 16 knockout stage. Last minutes of the game, red down 3-1, ref has given a yellow card to a player from each team ( one for red in first half for reckless tackle, one for black late in 2nd half for reckless tackle).

Thoughts on call to make here? In my opinion the referee crew got it right, just funny how explaining it to the rest of the parents isn’t easy.

Spoiler Alert; Their decision below (In case you want to wait to read it until after you’ve made yours).

Ref crew decision:
    As you can hear, the referee was already blowing the whistle as the players were going down. He went straight red for the red player. He then went and spoke with AR that had been about 20 yards away from the play. After their conference, he gave yellow to black (presumably for the arm pull and push), and gave free kick to red for the original foul.

2. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Doesn't sound unreasonable to me, but image quality doesn't give me a strong opinion.

davidjd and IASocFan repped this.
  3. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    All I noticed were the palm trees.

4. 65GT350

65GT350 Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If what appears to be a swing and a miss by red I am good with the send off. I think black needs to be sent off too though. IMHO she knows she is about to be picked and grabs and pulls red away from the ball and then gives a shove.

The way black walks away I think she is expecting a red.

5. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    U14 girls? Lucky you have a ref to pay attention enough to give a yellow to each player. Also why can't people film properly?

sam_gordon repped this.
  6. Soccer Dad & Ref

Oct 19, 2017
    San Diego
    The ref crew actually did quite well (and I'm an assistant coach and dad from the red team). I realize girls aren't as good as boys in US Soccer's opinion, but expect better from fellow refs.

7. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

8. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What would the red be for?

9. Soccer Dad & Ref

Oct 19, 2017
    San Diego
    Yeah, I don't think the shove was excessive force.

10. seattlebeach

seattlebeach Member

AFC Richmond
    May 11, 2015
    Not Seattle, Not Beach
    Obviously we aren't there and the view isn't great, but it just looks like two yellows, or maybe just a calm the bleep down convo. I can't see what the red girl did or didn't do, and black is just clearly frustrated and pushes her down. Nobody looks hurt or anything.

jayhonk repped this.
  11. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Hard to tell here.
    But I don't see any foul on the initial challenge - shoulder-to-shoulder - occupying space.
    Black then loses cool - I'd give black a caution for the antics.
    Red's swing was more of a "get off me" than an attack - but she gets a caution also.

No need for send-off's here.

tomek75 repped this.
  12. SouthernYank

SouthernYank Member

Sep 21, 2010
    So a foot closer and Red connects with Black's head. You still going yellow? It is still the same excessive force, right. Not our problem she missed. She is still using excessive force, shouldn't matter that she didn't connect with that excessive force.

Me, both are being shown the Red Card. Black yanks Red's arm with more force that we saw in the famous pony tail pull. Then she gives a shove as well, which is probably the only reason that Red's punch misses.

Wouldn't we call this a fight in the College game?

Red card for both. But I wouldn't say that the yellow to Black was a clear and obvious error enough for VAR to get involved :)