You know nothing about Pele and Maradona and yet, you call another best ever.

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Izzy9, Jan 26, 2012.

1. tadm123

tadm123 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    I find this more often, almost all the time.
    People talking about Pele as the best ever without even seeing him play, just youtube clips. I don't like that people blindly put Pele automatically as the greatest ever just for going with what other people say. It's almost like there will not exist in human history somene better than Pele, ever again. Is he a secret god or something? I must had missed that on greek mythology class ( note : rumor also propagated by Pele himself).

Maradona on the other hand is more plausible since he played much later on, more people would had been able to see him.

Also if we actually take a look at opinions of all people who had lived to see Pele play live and can rate him properly, the amount that rate Pele as a "God" or the best ever is much less and the opinions are more diverse.

2. Lusitania14

Lusitania14 Member

Aug 24, 2010
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Good Point.

I will add that the expertise of the journalists of Sports Ilustrated lies in other sports such as American football, basketball, hockey, baseball, boxing, etc.

They are quite clueless when it comes to football/soccer.

3. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[Once again, as someone who has a bit of inside knowledge here: "SI" has always maintained that the North American sports beat is their top priority, NOT association football IMHO.]

4. KyleP

KyleP Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    This really has no relevance when it comes to the draft you're referring to. Most of those involved in it (Raphael Honigstein, Jonathan Wilson, Gabriele Marcotti, etc.) are respected European-based journalists; their knowledge of the game is pretty second to none.

5. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[All right, have it your way then, mate... :rolleyes:]

6. Lusitania14

Lusitania14 Member

Aug 24, 2010
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The list is complete nonsense.

Sports Ilustrated is a good magazine for certain sports, not football. They shouldn't publish things they know nothing about.

7. Lemonade

Lemonade Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Every list of "The greatest/best X ever" is complete nonsense.

8. Lusitania14

Lusitania14 Member

Aug 24, 2010
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Wrong.

You will never have one list in which everyone agrees with, but
    I have seen a number of reasonable lists over the years.

This one in particular is complete nonsense and shows whoever wrote is completely clueless and delusional.