You know nothing about Pele and Maradona and yet, you call another best ever.

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Izzy9, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Izzy9

Izzy9 Member

Apr 21, 2011
    U.S.
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I will not name any names but, you all should know whom I'm referring to.
    Isn't it too early? Why is it so easy to forget about the past? Pele is king. Maradona is a genius. Can you honestly say the little guy is already the best ever? Come on! Give me a break! Don't get me wrong for, the little guy is great and no one can touch him right now but, I don't want to hear any discussions on BEST EVER. I guess winning an ECL is more important than winning a world cup. In fairness, he has won two or three but, still, what has he done for his country?
    I like him a lot. If you love soccer, you have got to like him but, please he is not the best ever. At least, not yet. It's very premature to draw such conclusion.

2. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Well I'm gonna say that...
    Oh wait.... it's a Messi thread.

[​IMG]

3. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Oh and in advance incoming statement:
    Yes, but I provided some 'new' information, this here is just an old baseless rant number we've seen 153 times.

And before anyone calls me a spammer or fanboy.
    Yes I agree with you OP, very well done.

4. Daniel96

Daniel96 Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Australia, NSW
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ive been hearing people say Messi is the greatest ever, so I created a Pele vs Messi (poll) thread myself to see if people on here actually think Messi is better. And im very suprised on how many people have voted for Messi.

As off today this is how many votes there are.
    Pele (17 votes)
    Messi (13 votes)

5. Izzy9

Izzy9 Member

Apr 21, 2011
    U.S.
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Why even create a poll for that now? Come on Daniel96!
    Pele is likely to remain king forever. Messi is very impressive and is undoubtedly the best soccer player today and will remain so for at least two more years and perhaps, for the next eight years.
    Could he become the best ever? Unlikely but, it's possible. What if he wins one world cup and three to five more ECLs while averaging a goal per game for the next eight years? If that happens, you can come back with your poll and I would hesitate slightly before finally siding with Pele.

6. xedeluxe

xedeluxe Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    since messi is still playing... can anybody share the best goal score by pele or atleast half of pele goal that is 600 + video ???? so that i can truly choose who is the best.. as for maradona and messi case.. maradona is still better than messi until messi won WC

7. Daniel96

Daniel96 Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Australia, NSW
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I created the poll thread about 1 week ago just to see if people on BigSoccer actually think Messi is better, because people have been saying Messi is best.
    Messi has not surpassed Ronaldo (Brazil)

Pele is the Greatest Of All Time

8. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago
    This thread suxxx, I was sooooo expecting at least a little Neymar convo from Izzy and Daniel along with the more Messi talk. :mad: humongous fail!!1!1

9. Izzy9

Izzy9 Member

Apr 21, 2011
    U.S.
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I see you have no opinion on the subject. Maybe people are tired of so many threads related to Messi. In that regard, maybe that's somewhat fair to say but, I think it's too harsh. I have not created a thread in many weeks because there are threads on every topic that I wanted to discuss and I did not want to create any unnecessary threads. Anyway, I was prompted to create this thread because many people have engaged Messi in the best ever discussion already. They are not even asking whether Messi will ever become better than Pele but, rather whether HE IS ALREADY better than Pele and Maradona. He will be on the cover of TIME magazine this week and I heard they are suggesting that he may already be the best ever. I am a big fan and Messi deserves all the recognition he's gotten so far but, the notion that Messi is already better than Pele is ludicrous.

As for Neymar, he's my favorite player right now because IMHO, he plays the most entertaining soccer right now. A few months ago, I expressed my excitement by creating a few and appropriate threads about him. However, some people decided to create a bunch of unnecessary threads and consequently many Big Soccer members became fed up with the subject.
    I still maintain that, currently, Neymar is the only player that can threaten Messi's supremacy. If he does become better than Messi, I guess those people who are claiming that Messi is better than Pele, will claim that Neymar is the best ever. LOL! I think it was Bora Milutinović who suggested a few months ago that Neymar has the potential to become the best ever.
    Why can't we just sit back and enjoy these players and let them retire first before we analyze their positions in history?

10. Lusitania14

Lusitania14 Member

Aug 24, 2010
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Good Thread.

Any intelligent and informed football fan knows this is true.

There seems to be more plastic and delusional idiots around these days, than rational fans with good judgment. They spread like some unwanted fungus.

I call these delusional people the iPod generation.

11. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[:D & nice one, mate!!]

12. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago
    Mario Balotelli is the most entertaining, Neymar is just flashy. :D

13. Izzy9

Izzy9 Member

Apr 21, 2011
    U.S.
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    OMG! Sports Illustrated just ranked them the best of all times as follows:

1. Messi
    2. Maradona
    3. Cruyff
    4. Pele
    5. Beckenbauer
    6. Yashin
    7. Platini
    8. Bobby Moore
    9. Zidane
    10.Puskas

Now, that's stupid!!! Those so-called experts are clueless! They obviously don't know anything about soccer.

14. Vasu

Vasu Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They didn't actually rank them that. That was a draft type competition where they tried to pick a complete 16 man team.

15. Daniel96

Daniel96 Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Australia, NSW
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    1. Pele
    2. Maradona
    3. Ronaldo 9
    4. Messi (If he continues to keep his successful form for a few more years)
    5. Cruyff

Zidane and Ronaldinho would be in my TOP 10.

16. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [Agreed, the "SI" feature was an A-T World Draft set-up, not an A-T World XI/Squad one...]

17. Daniel96

Daniel96 Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Australia, NSW
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    They are also talking about Messi being the greatest player of all time.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMx_R8HrAYQ"]Is Messi The Best Of All Time? - YouTube[/ame]

18. Izzy9

Izzy9 Member

Apr 21, 2011
    U.S.
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Again, I think Messi is great. I am not sure he will surpass Pele but, it is not impossible. All I am saying is that it is premature to say he is the best ever when he has not come close to winning a world cup. In fact, he has not won anything for his country with the senior team. He does well only when he plays with the likes of Xavi, Iniesta etc...
    Is he greatest greatest club player ever? Now, that is a valid question to ask. However, he is not the best ever at this point in his career. Has he accomplished a lot? Yes he has. Will he become the best ever? Only time will tell.

19. Daniel96

Daniel96 Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Australia, NSW
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Im not trying to say Messi is better than Pele, but I cant see Pele dribbling like this, and Pele played against weaker and slower defenders.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOWrtCOMxto&feature=related"]Lionel Messi Goal Vs Getafe - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPPEa6Or88E"]Lionel Messi Dribbling Runs rare - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJF-Cc6TysA&feature=related"]Lionel Messi 2012 Ultimate Skills Show HD - YouTube[/ame]

20. Izzy9

Izzy9 Member

Apr 21, 2011
    U.S.
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Daniel96, you are very funny at times with your posts. I guess you just happen to share the same views as some of those so-called experts. There is nothing wrong with that I guess. I know you are very young but, there is still a bunch of things available on line these days. Take some time to do a little bit of research on on Pele and Maradona.
    Messi is a very special player. Is he the greatest dribbler ever? Is the greatest player ever? It is way too early to be asking the second question. I really laugh when I hear people discuss the subject.

21. Daniel96

Daniel96 Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Australia, NSW
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ive actually been wanting to buy some book or dvd documentary of Pele, but I mean a official book or dvd, written by Pele. I dont really like reading, but for Soccer I will :)
    So would you know books or dvds of Pele?

Im thinking of getting the Pele book called (Pele, My Life and the Beautiful Game)
    I preety sure that book is written by Pele, I might order it off the Internet.

22. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    While it is just a draft, there lack many great stars like Romario, Rivelino , Tostao ... in the presence of the likes Iniesta, Rooney and Alves ...

Like I always said, every list of all times would be a "controversial" subject

Here is the link for everyone: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/draft/ultimate/draft-results.html

23. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You have to put this draft into perspective. This is a publication whose primary goal is to generate as much interest in the story as possible in order to make it easier to sell advertising. It is logical that they will give a higher priority to contemporary players who are more likely to be known by the casual fan.

24. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

["asf", I'm not contradicting your point; I'm adding to it IMO. As someone who has a bit of an inside track in sporting journalism: the main beat of "SI" has also always been sports that are popular and followed in the US & Canada and I don't think that they've really ever tried to pretend that anything else is the case.]

25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    This thread could've also been titled "You laugh at Messi, R9, etc being equated to Pele and Maradona, yet know nothing about Pele and Maradona. So the joke is on you!"

See above.