You have to hear this!

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by tomo, Dec 5, 2004.

1. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    This link goes to one of the 'idols' from Belgium. I don't have any idols and I'm not a too big fan of the show but this girl has an extremely fabulous voice.

http://entertainment.skynet.be/index.html?l1=entertainment&l2=idool2004

You have to click on the big icon of 'idool2004' and then you go to 'zesde grote live', which can be found under 'videogalerij'. Then you see five names, of which you take the utmost left icon next to 'Sandrine'.
    You will need windows media player to see it.

Perhaps this is a littlebit difficult but I assure you you will not regret this. BTW, this is the bigband episode and she sings Me and Mr. Jones.

2. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dylan sings better.

3. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    Your point being?

4. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point in general is that I am a jacka$$ and was just being a jerk.

However, specifically, I disagree with the entire idea of someone being a good singer because they hit the right note at the right time. I listened to the clip you linked to and I agree that she has a great ability to hit the right notes, sustain them and so forth.

However, as David Berman says, "all my favorite singers couldn't sing" or Malkmus' line about how a voice coach could teach him how to sing but couldn't teach him how to love. Singing is about expressing the emotion of a song and that expression can be accomplished very well regardless of whether the singer is technically superior. And pursuit of that technical superiority can take all of the emotion out of the song. Basically, sometimes sloppy but spirited is better than perfect but sterile.

5. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    I understand what you are saying, but do you believe in this specific case it is just a matter of hitting the right note? IMO the song is not sterile at all. I got the impression she really caught what the song was all about.
    My favourite artist is Neil Young and you can't say he is the greatest singer around. This should be placed in another class tough. She even makes the song better than the original one. And that for a girl who had never sung in public until 6 weeks before this.