You 8-2 See One Team Score 9 Times- The Other Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Eddie, Aug 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hala_madrid722

hala_madrid722 Member+

Jan 10, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Mbappe didn’t play well. Thankfully that 1 game yesterday doesn’t define his career.

If the option of spending $200 million on a player is between Mbappe or Neymar I’ll take Mbappe with zero hesitation. It’s not even a question...

MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  2. RaMaaa

RaMaaa Member+

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think Mbappe lacks motivation. he already "THIS PLAAYER". same team,same leaguue, same same things, same pressure and go on. Hope he will choose to have challenge in Madrid soon.

3. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I mean if anyone lacks motivation in a CL final they don’t belong at the top level.

(To be clear I don’t think that was the cause of his performance yesterday)

Raumdeuter, Hsain85 and Ahmadi8 repped this.
  4. hala_madrid722

hala_madrid722 Member+

Jan 10, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Comparing any player to Ronaldo is unfair because they will always come up short in comparison.

meringues and verde-rubro repped this.
  5. RaMaaa

RaMaaa Member+

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    yeah. i agree. But i mean in general. Maybe im wrong, but players who already stars at young age must change something on time.

6. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    The amount of excuses made for Mbappe here is comical, of course he shouldn’t be judged based off one game but those of us showing skepticism didn’t form our opinion yesterday.
    Don’t get me wrong I would love to have him at Madrid but I’m not sure he’s worth what’s been asked and I certainly don’t think he is good enough for us to build an entire project around him.

For me Mbappe should be the Robin to someone’s Batman.

7. Bear Crotch

Bear Crotch Member+

Jan 2, 2008
    Ohio, United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I don't think Mbappe is a locker room cancer like Neymar, but I think it's pretty clear the wages, environment of PSG and Neymar have affected his attitude.

Still a great player with the potential to be one of the best but what he really needed was one more year after his Monaco transfer and then move to a bigger league. As far as I'm concerned any scoring record him or Neymar have in Ligue 1 can be disregarded. At some point you lose your edge playing against the farmers.

hala_madrid722 and Drouchk repped this.
  8. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    I think we’re so eager to find the next CR or Messi that we sometimes lose perspective, obviously I’m guilty of this as well.
    What we however need to realize is that players like that don’t come along often, Mbappe is still young so he might prove me wrong but I don’t see it.

meringues and verde-rubro repped this.
  9. hala_madrid722

hala_madrid722 Member+

Jan 10, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I agree Mbappe still has a lot to prove. I do worry a bit about what will happen when his speed is gone. But he’s 21, we don’t need to worry about his speed being an issue for the next decade.

Mbappe is certainly good enough to build a project around though, no doubt about that imo.

verde-rubro repped this.
  10. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    He is absolutely ready. Players go through growing pains, one game doesn't change my view on the player. His stats are insane for his age, his accomplishments are insane for his age.

11. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    I guess we’ll see in the next few years but as it stands I don’t see him as a player that will
    be good enough for Real Madrid to build a team around but to be fair I don’t see any player on the market that’s currently at THAT level which is why I hope we adopt the Bayern model, in fact our current model is good as well except it might take longer to yield the results we want.

I’d much prefer investing in Vinnie and Rodrygo rather than spending 250 mil on Mbappe.

Ahmadi8 and Hsain85 repped this.
  12. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He's playing in a terrible League with an absolutely stacked deck of stars. People make fun of ManCity and Guardiola, but what have PSG done with him and Neymar so far other than fail?

I think the player is more limited than people believe he is, and to me a lot of early hype boosted his value. I'd love to have him, but not at the prices mentioned. He's not even close to Cristiano Ronaldo level of talent and is being treated as such.

People forget that Cristiano moved to power and precision from a place of absolute skill and creativity. Mbappe is a power/quick first step player, and when that doesn't work (such as yesterday) he barely has much to say on the field. Ideally he would have developed an extra skill over the years, but i don't really see it at all.

Nico777, MaxY, Raumdeuter and 7 others repped this.
  13. Ahmadi8

Ahmadi8 Member+

Apr 14, 2005
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    When the next best option is less than half his price and arguably just as good then its hard to justify spending over 200 mil for him.

14. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As of their age 21 season in the champions league alone:

Cristiano Ronaldo (up to 05/06 season) - approx. 1300 minutes, 0 goals 2 assists
    Lionel Messi (up to 07/08 season): approx. 1500 minutes, 8 goals 3 assists
    Kylian Mbappe (up to now): approx. 2550 minutes, 19 goals 14 assists

And those guys were on stacked teams as well

madridista_hr repped this.
  15. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Plus it's safe to assume that we'll make him the highest paid player in Spanish football not named Lionel Messi.

Ahmadi8 repped this.
  16. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    1297858120027377666 is not a valid tweet id

MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  17. Hsain85

Hsain85 Member+

Mar 28, 2006
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    +1000

18. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Amazing. Now go back and look how many matches a CL season was back when Messi and Ronaldo were 21, how few goals the tops scorers were scoring in comparison to how many those two eventually ended up scoring as top scorers, and adjust those numbers according to the inflation of goal scoring in general through the years. We're talking Shevchenko becoming top goal scorer with 7 goals back in the early 00s vs nowadays Ronaldo and Messi going +15 in a good season. Lewandowski also with 15.

Also, you're assuming that Mbappe will surely get better as if he's some sort of tree that's sure to grow over the years, where there have been many great talents, where everybody was talking about how great they'll eventually become until they were surpassed by other talents and we eventually accepted that this is pretty much as goos as they'll get.

Mbappe played his first CL final as was the worst attacking player on the PSG lineup.

19. Bear Crotch

Bear Crotch Member+

Jan 2, 2008
    Ohio, United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Neymar and Mbappe can score 50 goals in Ligue 1 and I'd still argue that it doesn't mean anything.

Nathanial Essex and Hsain85 repped this.
  20. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Also comparing "look how good this guy was at 21 vs this guy is now at 21" is pointless. Marcelo was considered a joke when we signed him, people thought he'd be back in Brazil in less than 2 years.

21. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gave you the total minutes each player played so what would be the point of looking up how many matches?

And how does one genuinely look at those stat line differences and think its all because of goal inflation? The two of them don't even combine for his numbers.

I'm not saying he's absolutely on a clear trajectory to surpass them, but you need to have these stats in front of you before labeling everything a failure through a narrative.

Why is why i only brought forth the champions league stats. Or is that a farmers cup too?

J-Mezzy repped this.
  22. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Because football was a generally lower scoring affair when Messi and Ronaldo were coming into football. Those two guys are one of the main reasons goal stats blew up the way it did, along with the UEFA inviting tons of terrible small country teams into the tournament to expand it and allow several drubbings, like some 8-2 results we'll not get into right now.

Raul was actually considered a goalscorer, Inzaghi, all those players have numbers that look absolutely laughable nowadays.

madridista_hr, meringues, MaxY and 4 others repped this.
  23. Hsain85

Hsain85 Member+

Mar 28, 2006
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    How many CL goals does Haaland have? Even our Rodrygo has more goals than CR at his age. That is not the point. None of those players are even remotely close to CR or Messi!!

24. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #49 MiamiNative0722, Aug 24, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    19 goals 14 assists in the Champions League by age 21 is not a failure. Everyone wants to throw him under the bus like he's in his absolute prime and won't get another chance to win, but it is a demonstrable fact that he is putting up unprecedented stuff for his age. If that doesn’t fit in your narrative of the player, tough luck.

25. Hsain85

Hsain85 Member+

Mar 28, 2006
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The numbers are great, but you can’t just look at them and throw EUR 200m on him.
    He is simply not that good, IMO.