You 8-2 See One Team Score 9 Times- The Other Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Eddie, Aug 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. undertow

undertow Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Nov 22, 2020
    I'm not saying don't appreciate Hamilton or Lebron James' skills and accolades but they are clearly involved in some performative virtue signalling. It's not real. It's a performance. Hamilton with his climate change activism. It's laughable. Complete and utter narcissism. It's an act. Like most celebrities these days.

My point is these people are lauded in our culture right now but they are a sham. Meanwhile everyone talks about Maradona and Tyson as terribly flawed characters. It's true but we don't care. The people don't care. Look at the reaction to Maradona's death in Argentina and all around the world. We want the flaws. We don't want perfect people 'cause we know deep down inside it's not real.

A nice quote about Maradona I read summed it up for me "I don't care what you did with your life. I care what you did for ours".

I think greatness could be quantified in the impact they had on people's lives. Maradona is untouchable. We are talking about someone who gave meaning to people's lives who were at the bottom of the bottom.

Anyway I know it's all kind of twisted but I hope you get my point.

Daninho777, hector_br and Deep Pal repped this.
  2. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Absolute braindead post. Your hate for them obviously originates for change they seek which you resist. You also ironically point to impact on lives while forgetting the original two have impacted their generation not just with their play or "free and wild" lifestyle.

This has to be a sock; I felt I read this diatribe before just under a different name.

Shay Z, celito, natenate101 and 8 others repped this.
  3. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I wasn't a fan of Lewis Hamilton until he started making conservatives and racists mad. Since then I hope he wins every single race, I swear.

Shay Z, natenate101, yoanaidarov and 3 others repped this.
  4. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Also, understand this:

Maradona's excess and way of life stood out in a deeply Conservative, reserved and productive oriented society of the 80s.

Wasting your life away in 2020 is the easiest, least rebellious thing you can possibly do. Young people glorify young dead artists like heros. Lil Peep, Mac Miller, Juice Wrld, and the list goes on for an eternity.

Excess and denial of being a pillar of society isn't a rebellious act anymore. Its the path of least resistance.

What Lebron and Lewis Hamilton are doing is far closer to an act of rebellion than wasting the opportunity to change a life for the better.

Deep Pal, Daninho777, Shay Z and 14 others repped this.
  5. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    We could even go deeper how Maradona's political friends and allies treated drug addicts like criminals but treated him like a Prince because he was an astonishing player and they looked great next to him.

One of the greatest athletes ever, but to use him as a vehicle for whatever weird agenda somebody has isn't "it".

6. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

I think you are giving your opinion in absolutes. People loved Maradona and they love Tyson and they loved Michael Jackson because of what they did in their fields. The fact that they were flawed was not the reason people loved them. No one is gonna cry if Delonte West passes away and the dude has it pretty rough right now.

People also cried for Diana, people also cried for Kobe, people will cry if Lebron passes. They also had an impact in our lives despite not being controversial. Same for Tiger Woods, or Derek Jeter, or Tom Brady. Just because you don't like activism, doesn't mean other people will not mourn people who had a great impact in their lives

robnycus, Deep Pal, Shay Z and 4 others repped this.
  7. Super Dragao

Super Dragao Member

FC Porto
    Portugal
    Oct 12, 2020
    Toronto - (Rogers Road) and Northern Portugal
    Maradona is the Goat because he played during the 80s when defensive football reigned supreme. Just look at the tackles that he suffered. Nowadays you can barely touch Messi or Cr7. Even haland is already breaking records. Defenders are crap nowadays.

Anon. and J-Mezzy repped this.
  8. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    1332246228038455297 is not a valid tweet id

9. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I always rooted for them when Maradona was playing. Now I root against them, but as soon as Messi retires I hope they win a couple of world cups in a row.

RMSocrates, Deep Pal, Shay Z and 4 others repped this.
  10. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I just loved the Batistuta, Ortega, Zanetti, era. Even without Messi, this generation just seems boring and hard to root for

RMSocrates, Deep Pal, Ahmadi8 and 2 others repped this.
  11. undertow

undertow Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Nov 22, 2020
    They are trying to improve their social standing. How do you do that? post a black square on instagram and wear BLM t shirts. It does nothing to solve racism. It's a performative gesture to improve one's social standing. They are narcissists.

Lewis Hamilton with his climate change activism? He has a private jet and is a Formula 1 driver. Cognitive dissonance much?

Meanwhile the under class in our society are starving and out of work. Why is climate change and anti-racism the chosen campaign for elite multi millionaire celebrities. Just think about it. It's easy. Compare that to what Marcus Rashford is doing. He actually managed to change government policy. No virtous grandstanding of morality.

Well done on this little performative gesture :thumbsup: Everyone on the board knows how virtuous you are now. (you see how human nature works...)
    This made me laugh. Lebron and Hamilton are rebels now? They are the establishment. They are part of the group-think of the elite. Literally multi millionaires. It's like Mcdonalds posting they are against Racism. Oh ok. Keep buying it keep following me. "Oh I see how this works"

hector_br repped this.
  12. undertow

undertow Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Nov 22, 2020
    I'm not saying Hamilton or Lebron are not good people but my point is that humans naturally gravitate to flawed characters because we are all flawed and we are deeply cynical of those who appear to be concerned with how they appear to others constantly in public and project perfection. If you read a lot of history about public figures you notice this.

Don't mean to cause a stir, just thought it was a good conversation topic :unsure:

13. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Lebron helped fund an elite school in a district that would have 0 chance of seeing it.

He sold his private jet.
    He created a team to compete in the Electric Offroad Championship.
    He's downsizing his supercar collection and is leading Mercede's push towards Electicity powered sportscars.

You were saying?

So how did Maradona help with that? What makes him doing absolutely nothing better than those that do something?

Well done on being bitter.

Lebron and Hamilton have done more to improve humanity in a day than Maradona did in his entire life. Stay mad.

robnycus repped this.
  14. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    People gravitate towards brilliant people. If Maradona wouldn't be a brilliant football player he'd possibly be dead before 40 years old being unable to afford all those life saving surgeries with nobody knowing him.

Deep Pal repped this.
  15. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    I like you undertow, but you won't be popular around here. It's a shame.

undertow repped this.
  16. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Arguing that people gravite towards one of the greatest players in the history of the sport because he was a terrible, yet likeable person rather than despite of it is quite funny to me.

Deep Pal and J-Mezzy repped this.
  17. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    The guys is just having fun thinking out loud about a very irrelevant and unimportant topic. Good for you to take this extremely serious and making an essay on how wrong he is. As always, your mother must be proud.

undertow repped this.
  18. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He's thinking loud about how much he dislikes athletes that stand for social justice issues in 2020. I think we both know where both of you guys stand here, so let's just leave it at that. You might go back to your Pogba avatar pic.

I consider this "see, Maradona was a ********ing drunk and people loved him! Now THATS how we want our athletes to be! Not like Lebron James!" type of thinking stupid.

Oh, sorry, was just thinking out loud.

Deep Pal, Shay Z and Ahmadi8 repped this.
  19. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it just me or is the most peculiar part of all is that we’re contrasting “social justice” and “performative” Lebron James with a man who tattooed his political idols on himself in Maradona?

Lyra repped this.
  20. undertow

undertow Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Nov 22, 2020
    Can we settle for "brilliant flawed people"?

I sense you are not a fan of Maradona which is ok but yes he was from the slums and football saved him and his family. Yes he probably would have been dead before 40 without football like many who grew up in those surroundings.
    :thumbsup:
    What are you implying?
    haha c'mon man. You missed the boat. Next you will be telling me Lebron is the GOAT over Jordan ;)

21. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    So we agree that he was a brilliant football player that didn't really have any redeeming qualities that me, you, or any other human doesn't have.

This discussion can be even more complicated if we draw up this scenario:

A brilliant surgeon, that has saved 100s of lives, is unveiled to a a total villain and a horrible person in private. That's where we can argue on societal contribution through brilliance vs personality and lifestyle.

Compared to this scenario, contextualising Maradona's contribution is fairly straight forward. Influenced a ton of people towards sport, fascinated the masses with a horrifying show of excess, while never hiding any part of himself. Good or bad.

Society celebrates it's dead heroes. We're effectively metaphorically celebrating a warrior being carried on his shield. It's best we live it at that instead of making comparisons to others.

We don't want to take it there in this thread.

I see i'm going way over your head with this.

22. undertow

undertow Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Nov 22, 2020
    I understand. I never said Lebron hasn't done good. A lot of sportsmen with their millions ahve done good.

Shit even Pablo Escobar built schools and football pitches for the poor. Money is king.
    Do you think a poor person in social housing gives a crap about climate change? It is the concern of the upper class elite. We are talking about hand to mouth existence. Read the room buddy. Tell a poor person they are not recycling well enough and see what reaction you get.

Lyra repped this.
  23. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    They don't because poor people are stuck living with poor education, so they don't understand that they will be the ones most impacted by it.

Deep Pal repped this.
  24. madridista_hr

madridista_hr Red Card

Real Madrid
    May 21, 2009
    Here
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Yeah, right. Sweeping disagreements under the carpet of "uneducated, stupid or malicious" is a good conclusion. Doesn't mean it's a correct one, but it's a perfect way to tackle a cognitive dissonance problem in SJ community and simultaneously gain self-perceived moral and intellectual high ground.

hector_br repped this.
  25. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Lol

Taking all the politics aside or whether you like activism or find them phony

The fact remains that no one is crying over Maradona because he was a drug addict. They loved what he did on the field.

And people love LeBron and Hamilton because of what they do on their sport regardless of their activism

The rest of their of this discussion is a political one.

robnycus and Deep Pal repped this.