Yoga/Stretching routine

Discussion in 'Player' started by jessepv, Feb 28, 2015.

1. jessepv

jessepv Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I remember players like Giggs and Scholes swearing by yoga as why they were able to play so long. If there's any correlation, my muscles are so tight I'll probably have to retire right out of high school. Does anyone have a soccer specific routine that they would recommend? Pictures/videos/detailed descriptions are appreciated.

JEN14 repped this.
  2. laure23

laure23 Member

Jun 30, 2010
  3. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm in my mid 30s now and after recent injuries my physio put me in anstetching routine as partners f recovery. I told my friend who is a fitness trainer and she said all the stretching was based in yoga.

I looked more into it and she was right. There's a lot of stigma about yoga but it can actually help your r game as it works on your core and stability and balance.

JEN14 repped this.
  4. jay_in_the_life

jay_in_the_life New Member

May 9, 2020
    I see this was posted years ago, but I just came across it.

This is a full article that provides a ton of info for you to get into yoga: http://builtbyyoga.com/yoga-for-soccer-players

It includes a 20-minute video class you can use anywhere.

5. tothetop

tothetop New Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Germany
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Yoga is great for the mind of a footballer and helps improve flexibility to a certain extent, however it is not the most efficient way to improve the dynamic mobility and robustness needed in soccer. Loaded progressive stretching, PNF contract-relax, and dynamic stretching give the most bang for the buck.

6. dejansavicevic10

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    My choice for stretching is Active Isolated Stretching by Aaron Mattes, all the stretches are held for 2 seconds with very light pressure ~ 2lbs applied. The static stretch isn't all bad, if it is used in the right scenario, ie at the end of a workout, where it will turn the muscles off neurologically.

7. SunnyWes

SunnyWes New Member

Atlético Madrid
    Canada
    Dec 22, 2020
    When saying about Giggzy or Paul, I am sure they were practicing yoga. When I remind about the goals they scored and passes they delivered, it's obvious that was something out if this world, ha-ha... I am also thinking about implementation of the yoga in my life. It would easily help me to deal with all that stress. To be honest, I am thinking about visiting yoga retreat costa rica in the nearest future. When I imagine lying somewhere on the ocean shore and meditating, it just flies me away...

8. calebgilk

calebgilk New Member

Arsenal
    Italy
    Oct 18, 2021