YNT post-mortem: U.S. players born '93-'96

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 30, 2016.

1. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a reality check. Would T&T and Jamaica gve us that much trouble 4 years ago? I don't think so, I think those minnows got alot stronger.

2. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Jamaica ( and Honduras, and Costa Rica and the US ) gave Mexico plenty of trouble in 2013. Did the trend continue? Or did Mexico ultimately show their quality?

The minnows are stronger and more organized. Nothing can be taken for granted anymore. But.....they're still minnows.

In the long run Mexico is our only competition.

3. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back in mid/late-2013 you could see those teams improve, specially the Caribbean teams, it helped that Mexico was a shamble of a team, but once they got it together, Mexico took their rightful place in COCACAF.
    I think this past GC showed what we are up against in the foreseeable future.

4. Athlone

Athlone Member+

Feb 2, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Antigua and St. Lucia are minnows. Grenada and Barbados are minnows.

Jamaica and T&T are not minnows.

bajansoccer repped this.
  5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Since 1990, only the U.S., Mexico and Costa Rica have made the CONCACAF qualifying finals at least six times. (The U.S. qualified automatically in '94, so it didn't participate, and Mexico was ineligible in 1990.)

After that, you have Honduras, El Salvador and T&T (4), Jamaica (3), and Panama, Guatemala and Canada (2).

As for what constitutes a "minnow," your call I suppose. But we can probably all agree that if your name isn't already in this post, you're on the list.

As for the teams above, El Salvador and T&T haven't been in the Hex since the '10 cycle; Guatemala since '06; and Canada since '98.

6. Maitreya

Maitreya Member+

Apr 30, 2007
    Providence, RI
    Agree. The term "minnow" gets applied rather easily, even to teams like Costa Rica at the World Cup; can't police how everyone uses it, though. It does seem like Concacaf's middle tier has become better recently; maybe better recruitment of dual nationals is one of several reasons why.

Athlone repped this.
  7. Athlone

Athlone Member+

Feb 2, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    My point is pretty straight forward: there's a rather large gap between a nation like Trinidad and St. Lucia. One has made an impact in region competitions at multiple levels (youth qualifying, WCQs, Gold Cup) on multiple occasions in recent years, and the other has not and will not because it is simply incapable of being that competitive on an even remotely consistent basis.
    Jamaica has made 3 youth World Cups and a senior tournament to go along with multiple Hex appearances, multiple Gold Cup semi-final berths, and an appearance in a Gold Cup final. Panama has been a top 4 finisher in the past two Gold Cups and was a stoppage time goal or two away from WC 2014.

To put these nations in the same category ("minnow") as a nation like the Cayman Islands, Belize, or St. Vincent is to make very little sense. These countries are not elites in the region, but they're competitive and have a proven capability to actually compete with the regional elites. They're not minnows. They're competitive middling football nations.

And yes, I can generally agree that if your name isn't in that post, you're a minnow. I'd probably make some claim for Haiti as a nation that is a bit too competitive to be a proper "minnow" and I may also argue that Cuba also does a little bit much relative to most nations we'd uniformly consider minnows. Those exceptions aside, you're about right.

LouisZ and Peretz48 repped this.
  8. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Good observations. I think there should be another category beyond minnows- plankton. Countries like Bhutan, American Samoa, and here in Concacaf, Montserrat. These teams are not even as good as pub teams, although I have to give Thomas Rongen some credit in getting American Samoa to actually win a game or two in Oceania WCQ. However, if I want to be reminded of their futility I can always view the 31-0 thrashing by Australia in the early '00s.

9. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Key USMNT starters from this generation:

Yedlin
    Brooks
    Horvath

Solid USMNT possible contributors:

Hyndman
    Acosta
    Morris
    Miazga

Possible emerging talents:

Trapp
    Arriola
    Vincent

Taken in a vacuum without youth results, this is a decent return IMO.

10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Generally agree but the goalkeeper position by nature is hard to pick a firm starter long term.

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  11. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    You're right about Horvath, that's a reach.

But I think his trajectory is that of a USMNT long term starter. He needs to lose hair though.

12. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Rubin, my friend, Rubio Rubin.

13. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I was trying to think earlier what the difference was between (U20) US 1-0 Colombia this past summer in New Zealand and the slaying we took chasing the ball over two legs last week.

Rubio Rubin, of course, was a big part of the difference.

14. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Miazga unexpectedly took a huge step today. Strong 90 minutes for Chelsea.

Rahbiefowlah and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  15. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have seen Trapp and Acosta for a while now and I just don't see them being no more than solid MLS players. I'm intrigued by Vincent, he is calm on the ball, very steady. Hyndman has skills, and is smart enough, his problem is he doesn't know how to use the little body of his and usually gets out-muscle from the ball.
    The players that I think have a better chance to be regulars on our national team one day are:
    kieseweather: fast, not much skill but has an excellent motor for a position of need (RW).
    Ariyibi: Big at 6'1, fast, excellent 1v1 game, needs to play better with others. another player at a position of need (LW). He can also play centrally.
    CCV: Cameron already has a body of a grown man, solid but young. Probably won't break into our senior roster until later. RCB, not currently in need.
    Matt Olosunde: This kid has all the tools, fast, strong, good skills. Currently playing for ManU U18 team. Give him 2 years and he will get a call. His position is RB, not currently in need.
    And of course, Pulisic, already seen token minutes. He is a player that is quick, very smart and has the confidence of a veteran player. Currently playing LW but I foresee him playing ACM.

16. kba4life

kba4life Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Claremont, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's unfair to judge Acosta based off of his youth Nat appearances....he's a center mid, not an outside back. For FCD, he's really an important cog and can zip passes around effectively while bringing a big motor. His future with the full team lies there

bajansoccer and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  17. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Intrigued about Ariyibi and Olosunde.

IMHO re Acosta: I think he'll develop into a rangy 6 with a lot more upside than Trapp. I was at the Iceland match and saw him actually improve dramatically during the course of the game. He's definitely not an outside back but his versatility could win him 30-40 caps.

18. Donny10

Donny10 Member

Aug 28, 2015
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    MLS?

19. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Acosta is smart enough to play at a higher level, remember the spin pull that cost us the win vs Colombia in Colombia? well, he also did it in the U20 WC. Talk about a player that doesn't learn his mistakes.

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  20. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Maybe I'm just begging for a prospect at D Mid.

21. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From MLS, I liked Kitchen as a 6 but now he is playing abroad.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    We have plenty of good CM prospects (Trapp, Kitchen, Acosta, etc.). Its now up to the coach to decide if he wants to give them a runout or wants to continue with the same players he's been using.

23. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I think Hearts is a place he'll start consistently. And I like him to develop from there.

LouisZ repped this.
  24. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Of course, considering how late Beckerman came into it, Dax McCarty may just be on the precipice.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  25. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just the nature of the position. You only need one or two quality keepers and they generally play for a long time.

I think he's one of the best prospects from the age group but just given the position regular playing time might be the hardest for him.