YNT-Eligible Players in the MNT Pool

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Probably others have already noticed, as I just did, that (by my count) Siebatcheu is the 100th player called in by Berhalter. Of those, 66 are '97s are younger. The YOBs with the most players called in at least once are '97s, '00s and [TRIVIA QUESTION].

xbhaskarx repped this.
  2. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's wild that Berhalter has already called up 100 players.

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    And that doesn't even count a bunch of guys called in for that summer 2019 combined senior/U23 camp.

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Game 1:

Steffen
    Cannon-Richards-Brooks-Dest
    Otasowie-Musah
    Aaronson-Reyna-Pulisic
    Sargent

Game 2:

Horvath
    Reynolds-Richards-EPB-Robinson
    Cappis
    Musah-de la Torre
    Gioacchini-Dike-Aaronson

SCSAutism repped this.
  5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Berhalter keeps giving undeserved minutes to Miazga and Ream, while EPB and Richards sit on the bench (not to mention all the minutes for Long). What is Berhalter doing? As I’ve long said, his personnel decisions are really bad. By far the worst part of his coaching.

7. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Make no mistake Berhalter just like Kreis is going to be the main impediment to achieving the best out of the USMNT. Love of average vets, marriage to a system that may not be the best for the players, unwillingness to change his mind once he makes a judgment on a player until forced several months too late.

Being a great recruiter is a great positive but if he neuters it by his other player selections then we're going to disappoint this cycle.

ielag, TarHeels17 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #233 Dave Marino-Nachison, May 10, 2021
    Last edited: May 10, 2021
    I've updated my MNT callups by YOB tracker to include the 40 guys on the provisional list for Nations League. I've decided to count these as "real" callups because while there is some room for changing players up to 10 days before the matches, at that point the provisional lists become binding for the purpose of selection, assuming I'm reading things correctly and looking at the right document.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17xb1g8Jd2bWrXU4g3fXX1aC4A3EQcKYir1ZtHXXGoT8/edit?usp=sharing

https://www.concacaf.com/nations-le...isional-rosters-and-kick-off-times-confirmed/

The final 23-player rosters will be confirmed a week prior to the start of the competition. After the official announcement changes will only be allowed in the event of force majeure or injury, up until 24 hours before each team’s first match.​

From a U.S. perspective, the biggest news would seem to be the reappearances of Tyler Boyd and Yedlin -- and, of course, the presence of some other guy on the Mexico list.

9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #234 Dave Marino-Nachison, May 20, 2021
    Last edited: May 20, 2021
    Winoman repped this.
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  11. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Not an outlandish take since he’s always been fairly highly rated. If the Gold Cup skews domestic and Che doesn’t see the field it will probably be Cowell.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    .............or Clark.

Let's face it, if Clark was a dual-national he'd be involved already.
    Poor guy is American.

USSoccerNova and don Lamb repped this.
  13. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Difference is we have few domestic striker options and plenty of better domestic mids than Clark. If Clark wants to go full time as a striker more power to him.

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I’m starting to sour on Berhalter with this stuff. Stop treating the USMNT as a prospect showcase. This is exactly how we missed the WC in 2018 under Klinsmann.

Some of these guys (Che, Odunze, Ochoa) don’t come close to having earned it.

Che has also become very overrated. How many of these people who claim he’s now the best ‘03 have seen one minute of his play since he got to Germany? The German third division is maybe a slightly higher level than USL. Why aren’t we talking about Marcus Ferkranus or Jalen Neal or Noah Hall or Michael Halliday as USMNT players?

How does simply being attached to a big club and answering a hypothetical question in an interview inflate a player beyond their ability? Che last season would not be suggested as a top 10 ‘03 by anyone. That was because he wasn’t currently that good and he didn’t have an elite skillset. He shows up at Bayern Munich’s academy teams and says in an interview that if he could choose he’s not sure what country he’d want to play for and instantly he’s the top ‘03? Sorry, not buying it.

Runhard repped this.
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Worth pointing out that St. Gallen and Munich are pretty close. That's a pretty short trip. Short train ride? I suspect this is about proximity and just keeping him in the fold. We're talking about the 5th CB on the camp roster for one game. We could fly an MLS CB over to sit on the bench, but why? Same with the keepers. Horvath will start. The others will see time only if he has a problem.

16. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have seen whatever game I can find in YOUTUBE. His game is simple but solid. The kid has a good build (6'1). He is a bit short for my liking to play CB but he may still excel at the position. Is he ready? Not for games that matter. He still wet behind the ears.

17. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Really? I don't remember Klinsmann (or Arena) leaning all that much into youth. The team we sent to Copa America didn't have much youth at all except Pulisic.

18. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    This is 100% not the case at all. Neither Klinsmann nor Arena played much in the way of youth in the 2018 cycle. Arriola, Green, and Acosta made some benches and one or two lineups but that was about it. Aside from Pulisic CCV was the youngest player to get a call up.

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Why not call in Colby Quinones or Mauricio Cuevas or Casey Walls to USMNT camps in the last year that were in the USA?

Che is there because there’s now worry that he could switch to Germany and people are now going to think he’s Chris Richards 2.0, ignoring how off-base such a comparison is.

If USSF is worried, they should allocate their funds differently and start holding some YNT camps. Che should be with the US U-18’s, if he’s good enough for that roster. I’m also worried that Colby Quinones will play for Puerto Rico. Where’s the concern for him? The country he’s eligible isn’t Germany and he doesn’t have an EU passport coming from a club that has an affiliation partnership from Bayern Munich.

Sorry, I’m not going to play along. I’ve watched plenty of Che. Until he starts playing regularly in a top European league due to this Bayern Munich affiliation (if that ever happens), his ability level doesn’t elevate due to his German passport and new club affiliation.

Runhard repped this.
  20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Julian Green, Ventura Alvarado, Caleb Stanko. He was making decisions to call in young pet projects that hadn’t earned USMNT caps. Same philosophy.

Answered above. One thing though that I see that I feel is very misguided is this idea of thinking of the team in youth vs. vets. Berhalter gets a pass from some people because he’ll call in 17 year olds and 18 year olds. Why is the first consideration not merit? I want to see us win.

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    TxEx and Winoman repped this.
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Lots of good names here. Gomez and Nyeman stand out.

Winoman repped this.
  23. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shared it on the u20 thread but I’m ecstatic about the news so sharing it here too

Per @bshredder Moses Nyeman is in the process of completing his citizenship

Winoman repped this.
  24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The one absence I noted amongst MLS 2021 U20 eligibles is David Ochoa of RSL.........................

25. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would RSL really be okay with arguably their starting keeper being gone for over 2 months?

ussoccer97531 repped this.