YNT-Eligible MLS Players, 2024 In-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Sandon Mibut, Feb 24, 2024.

1. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time to go back to the owners ranch?

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, Columbus has been doing a good job too. Not as much recruiting out of territory as those clubs I named (they do some), but I think they are starting to blend all of it well (recruiting, developing, integrating).

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Part of it is talent, not all. You are definitely right that they had an expanded territory with more talent in the past and didn't do too much better. Right now though, I'm pretty sure their territory is Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and a small part of Missouri (the Western-most part). Those are not really big soccer states. Also, I could be wrong, but would SKC have had access to the St. Louis area players or would it be Chicago Fire? It's not clear to me that these St. Louis area players (the majority of the better players you see produced by Missouri) were at SKC before STLC SC joined MLS. I believe they have had access to the Kansas City area players in Missouri as part of their territory, but it seems like that's not an area that produces as many players.

I think Pierre had some pretty extensive hamstring injuries that cost him a lot of time on the sidelines, and then Davis kind of took his spot.

4. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SKC had all of Mizzou before STLC came onto the scene.

[​IMG]

So if they weren't finding, developing, & integrating more St Louisans, it's indicative of a flaw in their process, that extends to the KC area too.

5. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    The best players that SKC produced in Busio and Lindsey were from NC and now that territory in Charlotte.

Honestly as MLS gets better and better and there are more and more teams in both MLS and USL sharing the talent there are not going to be heaps of players coming through most academies. Days of Wan Kuzain’s getting run are over.

McKenniesWeah and deejay repped this.
  6. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I noticed that NC connection also, however, the rules regarding poaching are more relaxed than before so it's only partially excusable.

7. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #307 xbhaskarx, May 29, 2024
    Last edited: May 29, 2024
    McKenniesWeah, gogorath and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wiley assist

If the Chicago Fire won't release players... perhaps that is for the best
    1795981213133398255 is not a valid tweet id

9. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wiley is having a very good game

10. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    He sure is. I've never thought it was particularly close between him and the other left back candidates.

11. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, Tolkin is having a very good game too right now… I’m watching this one

12. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember a number of people right here on BigSoccer debating me at the start of 2023 about Wiley vs freaking Andrew Gutman. No, seriously.

13. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    And Valenzuela is playing over one of their DPs!

Let's ignore that that has more to do with said DP than Valenzuela. He doesn't have a goal or an assist yet, and he might be replaced at mid-season, but he's holding his own and Cincy is winning.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  14. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not on Wednesday.

And because he's a YNT player now.. Walker had a good game until he was taken off.

On another note, Cincy's Kevin Kelsy is really good. Too bad he's not American. I really like how well he is able to use his big frame at just 19 years old. Sometimes these big guys need to be a bit older to be effective as they get used to a large frame. Kelsy moves really well for his size.

gogorath repped this.
  15. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Cincy made a mistake on Boupendza from day one, though it's been until now for a Cincy fan to admit it. Even without any other issues, he's one of those guys that can only play how he plays, and he thinks he's better than he is. Leading to a lot of wasted chances.

But they hit the jackpot on Kelsy. He plays a lot more like Vazquez, but he's better at the scoring parts and he's 19, right? Maybe we can get him to marry an American quickly?

16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #316 xbhaskarx, Jun 1, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2024
  17. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Esmir from his right, which is impressive even if he probably put himself in a bit of a hole with hesitation.

Gutierrez plays so much better with Shaqiri not playing. I don't think he's good enough yet to carry a good MLS team, so Chicago has to find a player that complements him and vice versa instead of a slow, ponderous, ball dominant non-defender.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  18. A healthy Maren Haile-Selassie helps Guti as well. He's a guy who does everything that Shaqiri doesn't. Depending on whether MLS allows a second buyout, Chicago has a chance to bring in 2 DPs in the summer transfer window. If they can cut more of their abundant dead wood away, the top of the roster may look very different come July. Squad players who start now will go back to being squad players.

19. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Unfortunately, the same guys are in charge. So I'm sure it'll be another washed up player Heitz knows and wants to give a fat contract to.

ussoccer97531 and willydonc repped this.
  20. McKenniesWeah

McKenniesWeah Member

New England
    United States
    Feb 12, 2024
    Although he didn’t make the stats reel, McGlynn is at another level now. Out of all of our young guys in MLS I believe he’s the most deserving of a transfer to Europe this August. More so than the Aaronson brothers.

Zinkoff, bballshawn and glutton4Bolts repped this.
  21. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He doesn't have the high level of athleticism you normally look for in a top prospect but the kid is near unconscious on the pitch right now. Pinging stunning balls all over the pitch. That left foot is magic... period. I really liked his play over the past two seasons but now he looks like the real deal. He is ready for Europe.

Zinkoff, xbhaskarx and McKenniesWeah repped this.
  22. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McKenniesWeah and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    They've been giving Devin Padelford ('03) regular minutes all season. Caden Clark ('03) also is getting regular minutes.

They aren't doing that bad on this front. The actual academy is another thing, and I also don't think their academy is as bad at this point as the reputation.

Zinkoff repped this.
  24. McKenniesWeah

McKenniesWeah Member

New England
    United States
    Feb 12, 2024
    Can’t get much worse than Portland.

Hall got some minutes as well but didn’t do anything with it. Thought he was 18 but he’s only 16 so just getting some minutes is special as long as he doesn’t turn out like Clark.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  25. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dual nat homegrown signing McIntosh

McKenniesWeah and USSoccerNova repped this.