YNT-eligible MLS players: 2022 In-season thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by asoc, Feb 17, 2022.

1. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Edelman with a stupid straight red in a friendly. Against Barca. Whose players are so surprised that no one even kicked him.

Gorky repped this.
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That Ofori is playing in this game likely tells us he'll be signed to a HG deal before next season. He's been improved of late, and could be an eventual option when Tolkin is sold.

What does it say about Estrela that he can't even get onto the roster for a game like this? I know he's only 16, but he has a HG contract. The reserves were also using Nate Worth, whose a year younger than him with no HG contract, ahead of him. I don't think Estrela is bad, but it seems like the club has soured on him.

4. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the other hand, Estrela will be going to the MLS NEXT all-star game. I am very confused by his whole situation. I suspect he had an offer from abroad and RBNY signed him to make sure to get some transfer fee when he does move.

As to Ofori, we really need a backup to Tolkin. He is the only left back on the roster right now.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #755 ussoccer97531, Jul 31, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2022

Pl@ymaker and WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  6. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    Rooney seems to have taken a shine to Hopkins, as he started another match. I wouldn't say he had a dominating performance, but he was active and had some cool moments, including a very big switch that led to a threatening cross on goal. Nyeman didn't make it on the field and Ku-DiPietro is injured, sadly.

7. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    I watched the game yesterday he looked like he didn’t belong, as in he was too good. After they ran up the score it becomes a bit of a different story, but even in the first half he just dominated.

8. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    I’d need him to be on the ball more to say he dominated. That’s also because he makes so many amazing passes with such regularity that I just want him on the ball more. What a left foot.

9. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    After his first MLS start to forget, Diego Luna has had 2 straight sub appearances where he's been extremely positive, to the point that a lot of RSL fans are calling for him to start again.

Against SJ, he subbed in to be an attack-minded central mid as RSL were chasing an equalizer, but he really excelled. This was a game where RSL had 27% possession at halftime but once Luna came in we were able to hold the ball and create chances, and ultimately we got an equalizer at the death. He wasn't on the scoresheet but he deserves a lot of credit for the goal, and Mastroeni singled him out for praise postgame.

He clearly seemed extra motivated playing in his hometown but he was a genuine gamechanger for RSL. Back on the hype train!

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    By the way -- don't want to derail this, but Andrew Brody was a low-profile U20 callup back in his day and has kind of bopped around a bit. What's his place on the depth chart these days? He was in the highlights a lot this weekend. Was surprised to see he's 27, but then again, that's what happens when you get older.

11. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    He converted to outside back a couple years ago and has been the starting left back virtually all season (switching to RB when Herrera is unavailable). Arguably RSL's most improved player from season beginning to today and just signed a contract extension.

He was definitely someone I'd mentally written off but he's proved me wrong this year, and looks like a key part of the squad for now.

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  12. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Glad to hear this! I didn’t watch RSL’s games (only so much time to watch MLS games) except for the game that he started.

At other clubs we’ve seen this go many other ways where such a player goes back to the U23’s or something.

13. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    He's playing very well obviously but I do believe his ceiling will ultimately be affected with how slow he is. I just can't figure out what that level and league will be. Is it top 5 in a top 5? I don't think so, but hope to be wrong. I hope his great decision making will make up for his slow feet. Also I need to see him under pressure much more, there are alot of MLS teams that just sit back without pressure giving him the time and space to really utilize his strengths and minimize his weakness.

Sup Bro and twoolley repped this.
  14. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Strangely, he played 15 minutes against the first team a day after starting for Monarchs and going 72 against Quakes ii. I didn’t see the Next Pro game but I was told he looked pretty average at that level. Maybe he was saving energy for the first team match.

15. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had a 10 minute stretch where he was very dangerous. Hopkins big problem is that he'll have those stretches then have long periods where he disappears. Not sure if that's all on him though or if that's the team struggling to connect with the attack as a whole. Hoping to see a more complete game from him as he gets playing time.

Nyeman might have some difficulty breaking through if Rooney didn't pick him ahead of Durkin or Djeffal. Newcomers Morrison and Palsson will likely start in those two's place and Nyeman may be buried as a result (unless Rooney plays Morrison further up then he'd competing for Durkin's spot). FWIW i'd rather see him over Djeffal at least, he's been terrible lately.

Winoman repped this.
  16. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Yeah it is really difficult to look past that at the highest levels of the game. It is really fun to have a player like him come through the ranks though. We don’t produce many like him.

SUDano repped this.
  17. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Other way around - the first team game was Saturday, Monarchs were Sunday, which might explain some lethargy during the Monarchs game. At least he saved his best minutes for the more important game.

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I've liked what I've seen from George Campbell this season. He has all the tools to be a USMNT player and I think he will be within a year, but he still makes a few too many errors with his distribution. He doesn't have technical flaws, it's with the decisions. The rest of his game is good, although the defense also has some errors. He will be really good once he lessens all types of errors. I don't find the errors to be anything too concerning, but it takes some time for a player in their first division starter to iron out.

I also think Slonina has been good lately. He's making better good decisions of late. I still am not sure how high his upside is. I'm not convinced he has the upside to be one of the best goalies in the world. I just don't see a player who is particularly high-end in any area, but he's been doing well recently and has come out of his dip in form he had for about a month.

Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  19. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
  20. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He reminds me of Shaqiri.

butters59 and Winoman repped this.
  21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I know people are banging on teams like Philly about the fact that they're not using their homegrowns as much as they could.

........................but Seattle last night in a midweek game. They were sitting there on the bench, and didn't get into the game. Schmetzer only used 3 of his allotted subs.

I keep thinking Seattle is going to turn a corner with their young players, and they never do.

22. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charlotte signs U-17 national team player Brian Romero as first homegrown in club history:

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think Romero is bad, but he's become completely overrated quickly IMO.

JDROD10 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    WheezingUSASupport repped this.