YNT-eligible MLS players: 2022 In-season thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by asoc, Feb 17, 2022.

1. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Luna is on the bench in the lone MLS match this weekend

2. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really hope that he'll play tonight.

3. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He played about 5 minutes. Had a nice dribble late in stoppage time, but it came to nothing.

WheezingUSASupport and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched. Wish he would've got more minutes.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  5. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure what Mastroeni was going for there. He barely made any subs in a tied game.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    File this away for down the road. Should have access to a Greek passport.

Clint Eastwood, Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

10. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    He’s improved quite a bit this season but sounds too good to be true right now.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everton are currently headed by Director of Football Kevin Thellwell, who used to be in MLS at RBNY.

Clint Eastwood repped this.
  12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    TheFalseNine repped this.
  13. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    NYCFC Manager Ronny Deila appears all but confirmed to be moving to Standard Liege - maybe he’ll take some guys with him.

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    A loan back for only the rest of the season is beneficial to no one.

15. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Well except slonina! Playing time!

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    It doesn’t suit him though. Let’s say he joins Chelsea or Real Madrid in January. Do you think he’s going to find an easier time getting playing time midseason in Europe than he’d find if he joined in July?

Winoman repped this.
  17. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    He has no chance of playing time either place, either way. So with that as my starting point I’d say good for him to still get half a season more while he can

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think when he goes to Europe he’s going to go out on loan. It’s easier to find a loan before the season than mid season. From his perspective, I’d rather he go now and adapt to a new environment where he may have to earn his spot without having a guaranteed spot than have another half season of playing time and then not have much of a chance of finding playing time for half a season in January.

January transfers are bad for our players. Field players can overcome it by playing well right away. Goalkeepers might not even have that luxury because spots aren’t available mid season for them.

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Chicago can't turn down ~10 million dollars for Slonina. 11 million was freakin' Alphonso Davies. So let's see what they're able to get. Competition seemed to drive the price for Pepi way up.

As far as the loan goes, I'm fine with it.
    He probably wants to continue with guaranteed playing time in an effort to win a WC place. Probably a futile effort, but worth it from his point of view.

21. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Completely agree, it’s rare that a team has a GK need mid-season besides an injury or poor performances.

A loan back to Chicago also probably isn’t best like someone else mentioned in general. It’s possible they’d still play him, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve been sticking with him to get a solid transfer fee. Chicago might rather play Brady or could sign someone if they don’t think Brady is ready.

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    We've gotten to the point at which we argue about WHEN our players should move on 10 million dollar deals. :)

If Chelsea's paying 10 million, then they decide what's best for them.

There are a lot of rumors online about Kepa being sold. If that's the case, then Slonina could slot right in there competing for the #2 position. For an 18 year old, that's not so bad at all.

I mean, Kepa is a good example of how strange the life of keeper can be. An in-his-prime Spanish international keeper with 11 caps. 54 appearances for Athletico Bilbao and 124 for Chelsea. 27 years old. This season at Chelsea....................??? 4 Premier League appearances.

The life of a Premier League keeper. Other than the very few elite guys, they're all playing musical chairs trying to find playing time. Sometimes you make a move with playing time in mind, and then the club goes out and buys somebody else. Ethan Horvath's playing well and Brugge wins a title. What happens? They go out and buy Mignolet. Why? I couldn't tell you.

Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  23. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Yeah hinges on if he will play at Chicago. But at this point I’d take guaranteed starting minutes vs the presumption that they’d find a comparative loan arrangement.

if they (new team) didn’t fine a loan where he won the starting position and started week in week out would you say better decision to go in the summer instead of stay at Chicago on loan?

one in the bush!

24. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Yup fair point. I’m not convinced Slonina would hold the starting position at Chicago if he were to have a couple games with some of the mistakes we’ve seen this season.

Regardless of where he ends up we can all agree he has to be getting minutes.

twoolley and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

Pl@ymaker repped this.