YNT-eligible MLS players: 2022 In-season thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by asoc, Feb 17, 2022.

1. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Feel like this thread needs to be up with official competition having started for the 2022 MLS season.

One of you more knowledgeable posters can hopefully create a post to highlight any important info needed and players to look out for.

Link to last years thread
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/ynt-eligible-mls-players-2021-in-season-thread.2114618/
    And a link to the most recent off-season thread
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/y...mls-players-2021-22-offseason-thread.2118278/

I wanted to give everyone a heads up that the Sounders GM Garth Lagerway let it slip that its likely one of the Sounders teenagers would be starting tonight in Honduras for Champions League play.

Game will be on FS2 and TUDN tonight at 6pm pacific.

Speculation is its Obed Vargas. Other option is RBW. Both 05s.
    Sounders seem likely to come out in a 4-2-3-1 with Vargas playing next to Joao Paulo as Lodeiro isn't ready to go a full 90 which pushes Cristian Roldan up into the Lodeiro role. Atencio and Leyva are both coming back form injuries so are not available. Vargas gets a shot, will likely get subbed early in 2nd half for Lodeiro.

Thats the speculation anyways. We will know for sure when lineups are released around an hour before kickoff.

2. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010

Winoman repped this.
  4. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Relevant stat for when you wonder why Mexico isn’t producing as many young players at current.

Also notably the Bundesliga is ahead of MLS. Which again makes sense why so many of our players are going there.

5. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, if so many of our super-young players were not going there, and instead stayed in MLS, we might be ahead of the Bundesliga in percentage minutes under 21. It is a bit of a chicken and egg issue.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  6. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma

My very general feel for his performance.

Wasn't involved for long stretches.
    Not sure if it was intentional to kinda hide him. Or if players didn't trust him. Or he just couldn't find the game.

Not too worried about that though.

He did start to get involved more.
    Offensively he kept the ball moving well.

Combined decently.

He had one nice dribble into the box that he almost got a shot off on. I think the trailing defender snuck a foot in and poked it away just before he could connect the shot.

They weren't asking him to do too much.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Indeed. When a kid that young breaks into a first team, you first just want to see that he can hang at that level of competition. That he isn't a liability out there.

There's a lot to build on after the performance last night.

With their new training facility going up, and the pipeline being set up on the youth levels, I have high hopes for what Seattle can accomplish in the youth development space.

8. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There’s a bit of a gap in Seattle’s talent pipeline after Obed and Reed to maybe a 2008 but that new training center and them hiring a full time scout in January should turn things around in their new age groups potentially starting with the 08’s. The rest of their 04-07’s that aren’t signed are pretty average and Seattle has a high barrier of entry into their first team

Obed’s having a pretty meteoric rice ever since the playoffs in Dallas last year. He apparently was the biggest surprise of the recent u20 camp. Him and Reed could be two big time contributors for that first team and maybe teams in Europe

ogshortstufff repped this.
  9. ogshortstufff

ogshortstufff Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 8, 2020
    Maybe I'm the only one, but I definitely got a Pomykal-lite vibe from his playstyle. Not as effective defensively, and not as saucy, but there are definite similarities to the ways they both advance the ball forward. Also, both are relatively diminutive and seem to be capable of playing across the midfield. Anyway, I thought he looked competent enough to play a larger role this season.

10. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My first impression is that RBW is the more impressive prospect than Vargas. About as technical, quicker thinking, unabashed confidence, and more advanced physically. But they're very young still, so both can evolve or devolve quickly.

11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I didn’t see the game, but there is something about Vargas that Seattle and USSF really are liking. I don’t personally see it yet, but I’m curious to see what (if anything) he’s improved on. I think I have a pretty good feel for his game, and don’t see him as much more than maybe like a Brad Evans type of career.

12. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with RBW>Obed. Reed is a more technical player overall while Obed is a tad bit more athletic in regards to pace and mobility. Reed’s brain is superior to Obed’s and really most of the YNT pool regardless of age. Obed’s soccer IQ is what you would expect of a YNT prospect

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Sorry, I just don’t see it. Looks like an average performance and people afterwards were acting like he was really good.

14. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he was fine in a vacuum, and I think his age will lead to some rose tinted glasses when analyzing his performance.

Clever and accurate short passes, ran into space when it was there but no dynamic runs except for the one into the box. Noticeably weak in duels but not for lack of effort, just needs to grow physically. Cool to see a young Alaskan earning his way into a high level pro game at 16!

15. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    Average at 16 years old is, graded on the curve, extremely impressive. I still remember Tyler Adams's very poor performance away in Costa Rica at the same age.

16. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Sounders looking to start some young players against Nashville in their league home opener on Sunday. Likely a few teenagers. Pretty sure CCL game will be veteran heavy. But we will see.

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Has there been an update on how far away Atencio and Leyva are from returning?

18. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Leyva is healthy and ready to go. Atencio likely still out.
    No idea if Leyva is ready to go 90 minutes.

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Seattle and NYCFC in particular seem like they're going "all out" for the CCL.

With those games, as well as the return of the USOC, the kids at those clubs should get opportunities in the rotation.

[Unlike most years, MLS seems to have really strong squads in the CCL. I think Seattle and NYCFC in particular have a legitimate shot.]

gogorath and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  20. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    My response is off topic to the thread.
    But Seattle needs to gel pretty darn quick. That seems weird to type. But Lodeiro and Morris barely played last year and Rusnak is new to the team.

21. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
  22. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma

Nothing crazy tonight, but he did not play bad. He was more involved from the start this game. He is only 16 years old and he didn't look out of place.

He has the foundation. Its all going to be about how he can grow his game.

Clint Eastwood repped this.
  23. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    He was pretty tentative. I think he only really tried anything once. Big stage, and I'm sure the instructions were basically to not screw up, but I'm interested to see what he has once he's trying to do more than just the next pass over.

Seattle gelled pretty quickly last night.

Sup Bro and ogshortstufff repped this.
  24. ogshortstufff

ogshortstufff Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 8, 2020
    I don't think he has a super high ceiling, but he looked decently comfortable for a 16 year old. Perhaps he finesses his way into a Europe move in a few years, but he looks more like a Roldan-type MLS lifer to me. Seems to have average tools across the board.

Sup Bro and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  25. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I see what you mean. I would say ... at 16, it can be hard to even gauge the physical stuff because people can really progress there. But he seems to be more of a solid, IQ guy than anything spectacular.

I've always seen him listed as a winger, but he was very clearly playing a center mid role last night. Which may also play a role?