YNT-eligible MLS players: 2021 In-season thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TarHeels17, Apr 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #1276 ussoccer97531, Aug 16, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    Aidan Morris is an ‘01. He’s the youngest player they have signed to a contract. Are you telling me that 02’s, 03’s, 04’s aren’t good enough to even get a contract with a team that will sneak into the playoffs or miss it? The only US-based MLS teams without a player in those age groups are Nashville, Austin, and Houston, two new MLS teams just starting up their academy and a team that has had almost no use for their first team.

You are right about Portland, but I don’t know why we shouldn’t criticize their plan. They aren’t good this season either. Hopefully they struggle for a prolonged period of time and start to operate differently.

dougtee repped this.
  2. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--

3. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I
    I agree that they can do better. But the first team conveyor belt plan has been bottlenecked by Covid. They original plan was to move Rossi and Atuesta and replace with Ginella and Rodriguez with plenty of minutes for Duke, Torres etc to play a role. Now they don't want to sell those players for less than their valuation and its causing issues all the way down the squad. It wouldn't surprise me if they move Rossi, Rodriguez and Atuesta by the beginning of next season, at whatever value they can get. We can have opinions about Fall or Leone or Duke's capabilities. I will admit I have only seen 2 or 3 Lights games. It's hard to make the case Fall or Crisostomo are the wrong players to insert when they look good. If Leone and Duke look better in Vegas then you're right they should get more chances. Duke has looked too poor defensively to be more than a bit player this season. He plays small and doesn't have the Blessing agility/tackling to make up for it.

Especially in the case of Torres, I think they are trying their best to showcase Rossi and Rodriguez and I think he will get his chance. For context Rossi was brought in at 19 and was an immediate starter. Rodriguez was brought in at 19. If they bring in another Uruguayan to play over Torres when he's 19, I will agree they need to believe more in their academy. But selling Rossi/B-Rod will set the valuation for future LAFC LW's. If they bench them now and crater their valuation that's just another way to end up losing money on these players. Now it might not work out but to me the clearest path to minutes for Torres is to sell one of the Uruguayan. LAFC is cheap enough with their roster spots 22-30 that as their academy matures they will be playing Dueñas or Torres instead of Raheem Edwards or Farfan.

Not sure what to say about Gaines. We have Moon, Farfan, Blackmon and a former college player Quezada (one year contract) at RB. Gaines will probably get signed next year when they can get the HG tag.

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  5. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    ussoccer97531 repped this.
  6. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    1428157803479257091 is not a valid tweet id

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    WheezingUSASupport and STR1 repped this.
  8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought they and Cerrillo all looked competent which is a compliment in central midfield for very young players. Usually teams don't give out those minutes until you're in your 20's but it's becoming normal for young Americans. pepi and Ferreira also looked good and FCD surely missed Pomykal as Obrian is like playing down a man. Might even be worse as he teases you into passing to him and maybe one out of ten times he doesn't lose it. LOL as Seattle brought in their big guns and FCD responded with Jara who missed an open look from 10 feet. All are DP's and highly paid yet only Seattle's fit the bill.

9. NoHammiesAltidore

United States
    Jun 28, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Gaines is going to be a big difference maker once he gets first team playing time. He’s on that Reynolds/Smith converted attacker tree, and I think he’s going to be the best of the three because he has similar attacking skills to Reynolds, and defends much better.

Davis is exactly what the press release says. Hard working and versatile. One of the most boring players you’ll see because nothing he does gets attention, but he’s effective enough. We won’t be mentioning him for his USMNT potential or probably not even YNT potential, but he will have a long career as a hard working and versatile player. Press-release got it spot on.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    WheezingUSASupport and twoolley repped this.
  14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

Boysinblue, EXALIFTIN, Zinkoff and 3 others repped this.
  15. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    june is a few months ago now, what took so long?

16. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Duke starting for SKC

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

WheezingUSASupport and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  18. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Finally gives me a reason to root for my local team (when he’s playing), and from a town I lived in for just a year.

Clint Eastwood and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  19. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    D.C played Atlanta this weekend, I was pretty excited to see Paredes and Bello. Paredes clearly looked talented, but Atlanta just bodied him and took care of him pretty easily. He also had a clear scoring chance in the 1st half and shot it right at Guzan, not the easiest chance in the world, but should've done better. He had some nice moves like nutmegging Lennon and glimpses here and there. Overall, he clearly has a lot of talent, but needs to do better with the physicality in MLS.

Bello had a really rough game. Positionally he seemed great, but his first touch was really bad, his passing was wayward, and lost his mark at key points. He settled in a little bit as the game progressed, but overall was not great. I think people should use this as a data point, but also be willing to chalk it up to a one-off.

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Bello is actually quite inconsistent like this. He'll have some great games and then some stinkers.

Its why I still have Vines ahead of him for the moment. Vines may not have the ceiling that Bello does, but he's more consistent right now. He's also 3 years older than George, so...........................

21. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    A lot of the young guys in MLS are pretty inconsistent, even Paredes.

The one I’ve seen positive consistency from is Tolkin. He makes mistakes, but each game I’ve seen from him is positive overall.

I still think Paredes has a higher ceiling, but will be interesting to see whose doing better 3-4 years from now.

22. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being tied for the most points after 22 games with 2019 LAFC isn't enough?!

23. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I was about to say that. Supporting local soccer is very necessary for the future of soccer in this country. I encourage everyone to support their MLS/USL team.

But being one of the best teams of recent times and statistically ever should make it easier.

24. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Haha very true. I’m sure it’s better this year given how well they’re doing but Gillette stadium for Revs games is one of the saddest atmospheres in MLS. Add to the fact that they haven’t contributed any decent USMNT players since Dempsey and Twellman besides Turner and I have a hard time getting myself to watch.

I do watch some or all of a few of the other MLS games that have good USMNT prospects because that’s one of the things that’s exciting for me. The idea of some great prospect starting in MLS, then making it over to Europe and playing in a top 4 league.

I’d hope the fact that I watch several games each week adds to the # of MLS viewings on ESPN+ to bump up the out of market/no national coverage deal for the next time it renews. Hopefully I’m doing my part on your first point.

Brotheryoungbuck repped this.
  25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--