YNT-eligible MLS players: 2021 In-season thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TarHeels17, Apr 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    The Gold Cup roster should be very interesting, but I don't think there's any way that includes Che.

Busio could play any of those central positions and is probably more suited to play higher for the US. Agree that he has earned a spot at the Gold Cup. Cowell and Clark have, too, unless you want to say that they haven't been doing it for long enough.

Which other young MLS players should be in the mix? Bello? Araujo? Not as young, but I'm really hoping Sands will be in the squad. Of course, Flach is being talked about as a shoo in...

Did Dallas buy that new midfielder because Tessmann will be with the US this summer? Maybe Pomykal?

2. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn’t mind seeing both Caden Clark and Cade Cowell with the group for the gold cup. Because this is more of a b-team event where both of them currently are. I have a hard time seeing Caden not make it but Cade may not because of guys like Dike and Zardes. Cade needs more consistency in his on ball skill before he passed Gyasi in my opinion

Busio has a chance in my opinion to make the full strength USMNT due to the opportunity of a wide open race for TA’s backup.

I’ll go current u23’s who if they made the gold cup roster I’d agree with:
    GK: David Ochoa, Chituru Odunze
    RB: Julian Araujo, Bryan Reynolds
    CB: Chris Richards, EPB, Miles, and CCV
    LB: George Bello, Jonathan Gomez (he won’t and shouldn’t but we really lack high ceiling LB’s)
    6: Gianluca Busio, James Sands, Leon Flach, Christian Cappis, Chris Durkin
    8: Keaton Parks, LDLT, Eryk Williamson, Paxton Pomykal
    10: Caden Clark, Matthew Hoppe
    Wingers: Uly Llanez, KDLF, Emmanuel Sabbi
    Striker: Cade Cowell, Ricardo Pepi (stretch)

Guys like Tanner Tessmann and Cole Bassett although talented aren’t good enough to beat out the three 8’s already listed as well as older options like Julian Green, Sebastian Lletget, and Christian Roldan. Justin Che goes in this category as well, a 23 man squad has room for 4 CB’s and he isn’t in that group.

There are quite a few thread eligible, former u23 eligible, and u30’s who I think should probably stay home to focus on their club careers overseas. Bryan Reynolds won’t make the team because of this but Uly Llanez and Konrad both also apply here as well. While I want us to win the gold cup, I want us to also not disrupt the careers of any players while doing it

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think Busio is as good as some do, but there's no reason to lose a player from the program that has a claim to be on the Gold Cup team. If that interest from Italy is serious (it may not be), call him into the Gold Cup and cap-tie him. This is nothing like calling in Che.

Winoman repped this.
  4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of it is a failure to distinguish between all-out attackers and everyone else. Teams are going to feel much more comfortable putting players with fewer defensive responsibilities out there to give it a rip at goal. Guys like McKennie, who are expected to do something defensively, are in a totally different category. The notion that there is even a debate about Che, a defender, is ludicrous at this point.

5. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    My biggest fear about both Cade Cowell and Caden Clark possibly becoming regulars for the full USMNT is the prospect of trying to determine which CC people are talking about!

6. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I can't say if Busio is up to the international game but here's a great opportunity to at least get his feet wet and see how he does. Obviously because of how things are working out he won't face the best competition there but some of those teams, like Jamaica will have at least some facsimile to teams that we'd face in qualifying.

He's played well. We don't have a ton of better options and he deserves a shot.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #782 Clint Eastwood, Jun 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    Its as simple as this. Gianluca Busio isn't a 16 year old prospect.
    He's a 19 year old that's excelling in MLS at a position of need.
    He's worthy of a place on the Gold Cup roster based on performance.
    This isn't a risk. If you're playing well against MLS-caliber opposition, then you're already playing at the level you'll face against 90% of CONCACAF opposition. We don't even need to invoke any of the same premature cap-tieing issues that apply to Che (which I'm not in favor of anyway). Gianluca is worthy of a spot. MORE worthy based on performance than a guy like Tanner Tessmann.

The focus of this Gold Cup roster should be: Which of these young and fringe players can help us NOW as we begin WCQing. That's what we're trying to find out. It's an important task. This isn't an exercise in cap-tieing, providing caps for work permits, or judging who has the highest ceiling for 2026. Who can help us NOW? And at the #6/8 position we need depth. Let's see who amongst Busio, Flach, Tessmann, etc. is ready to help. If we learn they're NOT ready at the Gold Cup, then we've still learned something. Then we go with veterans like Acosta and Roldan that the staff trusts to do a job at this level.

onefineesq, Zinkoff and Winoman repped this.
  8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The signing of the new #6 has been in the works at FCD for a long time.
    He wasn't playing in the Copa Libertadores last year because he didn't want to jeopardize the move, which infuriated his Argentinian team. The worst kept secret in FCD transfer history.

So I don't think it has to do with Tessmann, who I think many of us view as a #8 anyway. In a perfect world (or my world anyway) I think this new #6 would start behind Tessmann and Pomykal. Acosta is in the last year of his contract (and will be gone a lot with Honduras this summer/fall) and Ricuarte is just there on loan.

That's not to say Tessmann might not be moved. I just haven't seen any legitimate reporting on that.

don Lamb repped this.
  9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  11. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Gregg doesn't really play with 10s, and even the players who might play 10s tend to start as wingers before drifting in like Reyna. I don't see Hoppe doing that but Clark does it a lot with NYRB. The issue with Clark still is that he's just not that good on the ball yet as a dribbler or passer. He's competing with Mihailovic and Llanez at the very least and possibly Roldan too. Memo Rodriguez absolutely deserves a callup too but he might as well not exist to Berhalter.

Cowell is playing great as a vertical threat 9 but from what I have been seeing Gregg wants his strikers to drop in deeper to facilitate possession. It's a bad fit. He might compete at the winger spot but he's got to beat Mueller and the Olympic guys - Michel and Lewis as they're the more direct ones. He doesn't create like the Olympic guys even though I think he's the more complete player than either.

Bassett is another odd one. His positioning has been very advanced this season, he's playing basically as a second striker and is doing great. Outside of playing the 9 though that role doesn't exist in the Berhalter system.

As for the 8s.. I don't think we'll see Williamson, Parks, or Pomykal. It sucks because they've been the best 8s in MLS. De La Torre is really good, though, and I am excited to see him if he gets called.

Kombucha and USSoccerNova repped this.
  12. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    ussoccer97531 repped this.
  13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Does anyone have a subscription?

dougtee repped this.
  14. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Both busio and Vermes agreed that it's time for Busio's career to progress. Fee SKC is looking for is somewhere around 5 mill with incentives. Busio wants to go to a team that will play him and develop him, so basically a mid table team.

15. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    honestly all sounds very sensible and unless incentives are completely out of wack like skc learned something from epb

16. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Yeah that seems all very reasonable as far as demands and expectations go. Really hope it works out for him/them.

17. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    All sides win here. Hopefully SKC can manage a sell on cause

18. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More so should say they’ve learned from the past 3 transfer windows of people coming after Busio

I’m pretty surprised he’s lasted this long in MLS. He had a lot of interest before he even start to play at a consistent high level

19. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    '02 LB who was a regular for Real Monarchs last year:

Pl@ymaker, Luksarus and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Farnsworth was really good last season in USL. I was thinking that was one of my own opinions that’ll never be effected by the club he plays for, but I’m glad they are recognizing how well he played with a first team contract.

dougtee and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  21. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    His parents:

[​IMG]

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This article says Farnsworth is out until around October with an ankle injury he suffered in preseason. That makes a lot of sense, considering why he hasn’t played this season and why he’d be signed now. The article also says that they see him as a CB. I prefer him at LB, but I think he’s versatile enough to play many positions well (LB, CB, LWB, DM, CM).

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This is why he hasn’t played yet this season.

Pl@ymaker and WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  25. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Clark and Tolkin starting