YNT-eligible MLS players: 2021 In-season thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TarHeels17, Apr 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's about that time. '01s and younger. As of today, that's:

East:
    ATL
    '01s George Campbell, Jackson Conway, '02 George Bello, '03 Tyler Wolff, '04 Efrain Morales

CHI
    '01s Nick Slonina, Andre Reynolds, '03s Alex Monis, Javier Casas, Brian Gutierrez, '04s Chris Brady, Gabriel Slonina, Allan Rodriguez

CIN
    '03 Beckham Sunderland

CLB
    '01 Aidan Morris

DC
    '02 Griffin Yow, '03s Jacob Greene, Kevin Paredes, Moses Nyeman

MIA
    '02 Ian Fray, '03 Edison Azcona, '05 Felipe Valencia

MTL
    None

NSH
    None

NE
    '02 Damien Rivera

NYC
    '01 Justin Haak, '02s Andres Jasson, Tayvon Gray

RBNY
    '01s Luca Lewis, Cam Harper, '02 John Tolkin, '03 Caden Clark, '06 Bento Estrela

ORL
    '01 Jordan Bender, '03s Michael Halliday, Wilfredo Rivera

PHI
    '01s Leon Flach, Nathan Harriet, Cole Turner, '02 Jack de Vries, '03s Jack McGlynn, Paxten Aaronson, '04s Quinn Sullivan, Brandon Craig

TOR
    None

West:
    AUS

'01 Sebastian Berhalter

COL
    '01s Cole Bassett, Oliver Larraz, Will Vint, '02s Abraham Rodriguez, Sebastian Anderson, '04s Darren Yapi, Dontouma Toure

DAL
    '01s Thomas Roberts, Tanner Tessmann, '02 Beni Redzic, '03s Ricardo Pepi, Dante Sealy

HOU
    '01 Ian Hoffman, '03 Daniel Rios, '04 Juan Castilla

LAG
    '01 Julian Araujo, '02s Adam Saldana, Efrain Alvarez, Cam Dunbar, '03s Jonathan Perez, Marcus Ferkranus, Jalen Neal

LAFC
    '01 Bryce Duke, '04s Christian Torres, Antonio Leone, Erik Duenas

MIN
    '03 Patrick Weah, '04 Fred Emmings

POR
    '02 Hunter Sulte

RSL
    '01 David Ochoa, '02 Bode Davis, '03 Chris Garcia, '04 Jeff Dewsnup

SJ
    '01 Jacob Akanyirige, '02 Gilbert Fuentes, '03s Casey Walls, Cade Cowell, '05 Emmanual Ochoa

SEA
    '02s Josh Atencio, Alfonso Ocampo-Chavez, Ethan Dobbelaere, '03 Danny Leyva

SKC
    '01s Cameron Duke, John Pulskamp, Kaveh Rad, '02s Brooks Thompson, Gianluca Busio, '03 Tyler Freeman, '04 Ozzie Cisneros

VAN
    None

League tips off on Friday with SJ vs Houston.

2. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My major tiers:

Major Contributors:
    George Bello
    Aidan Morris
    Caden Clark
    Cole Bassett
    Tanner Tessmann
    Ricardo Pepi
    Julian Araujo
    Efrain Alvarez
    Cade Cowell
    Gianluca Busio

Breakout Candidates:
    Griffin Yow
    Kevin Paredes
    Moses Nyeman
    Andres Jasson
    Cam Harper
    Leon Flach
    Sebastian Berhalter
    Dante Sealy
    Bryce Duke
    Christian Torres
    David Ochoa
    Chris Garcia
    Danny Leyva
    Cameron Duke

Everyone else below this I think will either not play or get very sporadic minutes as depth players for injuries/international break fill ins

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Players that seem to be unlikely breakout candidates but that I really, really like:

Thomas Roberts
    Dante Sealy
    Gilbert Fuentes
    Justin Haak
    Tyler Freeman

WoodUtley repped this.
  4. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting to note that Josh Atencio started Seattle's last preseason game. He looks like a man now.

5. WoodUtley

WoodUtley New Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jun 17, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you had to pick one, Freeman or Sealy?

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #6 Clint Eastwood, Apr 13, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    Based on the splurge of signings at the wing position, its unclear to me when Sealy will play this season. Its depth that also is unlikely to be gone for international callups. Dante hasn't been a contributor in preseason. That's not a comment on his talent level. He's still only 17 (well, for a week anyway). Even without knowing everything about SKC's depth chart, I'd pick Freeman to get more minutes than Sealy.

On @David Kerr 's list above, I'll go with Cam Harper as the one that will be moved from the Breakout Candidate list to Major Contributor list by the end of the year. Following him, it sure seems like the DC United kids are going to be given a shot. I personally rate Nyeman as the best of that bunch, so he's my second choice to move to the Major Contributor category.

Players not on his breakout list that could be there by the end of the season? The Philly kids. They're not far down the depth chart, and we know that Philly isn't afraid to give them a chance. I'll say that by the end of the season, McGlynn and Harriel have debuted...................and the hype will start.

There's one team that's been really quiet this offseason. Chicago. There might not be a more anonymous club in MLS right now. There's virtually nothing of interest for USMNT fans in their starting XI. Pineda I guess. They have a bunch of thread eligible guys now. Actually tied for the most thread eligible players with 8. They have a former USYNT and club youth coach as their head coach. Can you go thru a season without playing a 3rd of your roster? Probably not. So I suspect that those kids will play. How good are they? I don't know. What say you @ussoccer97531 and @David Kerr ? Which of those Chicago kids is likely to get the most minutes. Is it Brian Gutierrez? He quietly got into 6 games for them last season.

7. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Sealy, no question. I've stalled on my expectations for Freeman, so I'll be interested to see where he is this season.

My expectations for Sealy are sky high. Even if Clint is right and he doesn't play much this season, I'd be inclined to think that would be part of a longer term strategy that they have for him.

What is Chicago's right back depth like? I wouldn't be surprised if Andre Reynolds plays a decent amount. Another pick that I am not expecting, but it wouldn't surprise me.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I'm not sure Freeman or Sealy are good choices for a breakout in 2020. :)

We're not hearing positive evaluations of them from coaching staffs, etc. like we are with players like Jasson and Flach.

If the Reynolds situation has taught us anything, its that patience can be a virtue. Reynolds wasn't ready, wasn't ready, wasn't ready, wasn't ready................and then BAM! Opportunity collided with readiness.

9. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do like the Cam Harper take. I’m just not too sure of how quickly he breaks in but I think he’s going to generate quite a bit of hype for himself this season

I don’t have big expectations at all for the Philly 03/04’s this season. I think Jack McGlynn is the most MLS ready and that Brandan Craig will have the best career of the quartet. I do think they’ll all get 5-10 substitute appearances this season but that isn’t very much. Next season I’m expecting a lot more from them. Nathan Harriel hopefully should get some solid minutes this season as a backup right back

I don’t really know what to think of the Chicago kids. I’m highest on Allan Rodriguez but he also isn’t ready for minutes at all. I’ve never been a big fan of Brian Gutierrez and didn’t think at the DA level that his play was good enough for a HG deal. Alex Monis is good but not physically ready for the league yet. Obviously neither of the GK’s will play. My bet for this season is Javier Casas

10. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    That was kind of the point. I was looking at players who look doubtful to make a break through but I think are ready to make an impact and will eventually have that BAM moment.

11. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    I meant Justin Reynolds with potential minutes at right back for Chicago. Is it way too early for him?

Those Chicago kids seem kind of like the Seattle kids who are slightly older -- a really solid group of future pros, but not necessarily many game breakers at the MLS level.

12. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Justin Reynolds hasn’t been signed as a homegrown and most likely Chicago Fire haven’t filed for him to be added to the roster in 2021 like what happened with Alex Monis, Allan Rodriguez, and Chris Brady in 2020. Andre Reynolds is a left back but I don’t think he’s very good

don Lamb repped this.
  13. WoodUtley

WoodUtley New Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jun 17, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, but I would also say it’s a bit worrisome that those two (Freeman/Sealy) haven’t had that moment yet. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure they were the 03s that signed the earliest. Freeman in 2018, Sealy early 2019.

14. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    They're both still really young. I think it's a little early to get worried. A lot of us probably have warped expectations for these teenagers in MLS.

15. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly never understood the Tyler Freeman hype but for the Dante Sealy talent level I expected him to be getting more minutes than he has/seems to be on track for this season

He was undoubtedly the standout from the 2019 Nike Friendlies among a group of players who are now getting pro minutes. Dante has always has major consistency issues but I expected a little more club progress

16. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta about to kick off the second leg of their CONCACAF Champions League Round of 16 tie against Alajuelense on FS1. Rocco Rios Novo and George Bello start. Tyler Wolff and George Campbell are on the bench.

gogorath and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  17. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    I think Freeman's attacking ability is really intriguing. He has the athleticism to dribble past players and the intelligence to combine with teammates and create for others off the dribble. These qualities haven't exactly popped for him in USL, though, so I'm interested to see if that comes back with more growth and professional experience.

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Bello looked OK to me. His athleticism bails him out sometimes when bad positioning, etc. get him in trouble. He has some sketchy touches and can be a bit sloppy at times. Alajuelense was clearly targetting his side. I just wonder about him against better teams able to make him pay.

He's not a 16 year old prospect anymore. He's 19. I wanna see more growth.

19. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My issue with Bello is that the weakness in his game has been there since he was 15 and he still hasn’t corrected it. He still loses focus defensively and loses track of his positioning and leaves himself exposed. Tony Annan did an entire presentation on Bello and even pointed this out. The other holes in his game he’s fixed for the most part. I do worry about his ability to play in tight spaces under pressure like Antonee Robinson. But Bello does look like a more athletic and higher ceiling version of Antonee

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  20. WoodUtley

WoodUtley New Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jun 17, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you but I do somewhat agree with Kerr too. One thing that I think has somewhat hampered the growth of Freeman,Sealy,Roberts,Palomino,Mendez is that they all were allowed to occupy somewhat free roles in DA. I think this is part of the reason they all have been inconsistent and awkward against grown men. They were all gamebreaking talents in their youth days, but that free/10 role that they played as youth doesn’t really exist in the modern game and the MLS teams that do play with one typically use a DP anyway. It’s the same reason that guys like Ozil,Isco,Mata,Gotze and James aren’t used now and the same reason Foden,Grealish,Bernardo are being made in to wingers or 8s. If you’re not an absolute freak (Neymar,Messi), that free role won’t be available to you. All 5 of the kids obviously still have plenty of time, but their ceilings and play time will probably come down to whose IQ will allow them to transition to a different role.

21. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Players have to play two ways these days; no disagreement. This is a big part of the struggle for Mendez.

I don't really think that Sealy's issue, though. He's played mostly winger, and is merely young and inconsistent. Roberts has that inconsistency issue, though his lack of size/strength is a real defensive concern.

22. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really see the athleticism that everyone says Bello has. Sure, he's not slow and he's pretty thick for a 19 year old, but I wouldn't call him agile. A guy like Robinson has unreal speed but also would crush a ladder drill. I don't see that being the case for Bello, kind of like with Gloster.

23. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I know a lot of these kids aren’t eligible age wise even if they were nationality wise. But this Toronto’s plethora of HGPs are playing some very nice soccer against Leon right now.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  24. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toronto has some really nice HG’s, their academy does well finding and developing the best Canadian talent in their area

Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty in particular is extremely talented. He’s no doubt the best 04 in concacaf. Only one who can contend with him is Malick Sanogo

xbhaskarx and Brotheryoungbuck repped this.
  25. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I’m interested in Flauch. Im not super confident in it coming good though. He is getting on the ball a ton because he runs a lot, both to get open and to take the ball from the other team. He’s kind of like a bat out of hell. But when he’s on the ball it’s like he doesn’t calm down, he wants to play too progressively / risky. When if he slowed it down it could help the team.

He’s combining really effectively with Wagner. That will allow Wagner to get more involved offensively and I think that’s interesting.

If Curtin can effectively get in his ear, and get him too keep the same energy and boldness but with more on the ball effectiveness he could be awesome. I think if he becomes Dax McCarty 2.0 Philly could be very happy.

JUnionFan and autobus39 repped this.