YNT-eligible MLS players: 2020 In-season thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Discuss actual games played by actual players!

If that doesn't get people talking, let's also use this as a thread for the 2029 U20s. ;)

2. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    Jesus Ferreira apparently with an assist on the Cobra goal in the FCD-Union game -- not a super-impressive pass but still nice.

I'd say Aaronson or McKenzie have actually been the most impressive thread-eligible players, though Cannon has been typically solid. Tessmann's debut has been heavy on the defensive actions; not really much favorable going forward.

WheezingUSASupport and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
  4. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
  5. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feel like I was watching a different game than you.

- Aaronson's rhythm was way off. He worked hard like always, but offense wasn't there.
    - Ferreira was bereft of many ideas and was beaten to balls. His part on the 1st goal was pretty inconsequential.
    - Tessman really impressed. Patrolled his area well, and distributed pretty efficiently. Did make a few pretty incisive passes, including a cheeky leave on Pomykal's goal for the assist.
    - McKenzie was decent. Better than last yr's debacle.

6. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    I agree Ferreira was mostly not-great. But he had the assist, which is nice.

Re: Aaronson, the comment was first-half focused, when he pressed well, did well to get a shot off, and had a key pass. So there were some interesting moments and I wasn't terribly impressed by any of the homegrowns in the frist half.

For me Tessmann's athleticism and defensive work was impressive in the first half but it seemed like he did nothing terribly incisive passing-wise. That's not the worst thing in the world for a debut.

7. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    Months after rejecting a (reported) $3 million offer and saying they expected to eventually sell for $10, Sporting has left Gianluca Busio on the bench.

8. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
  9. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta has announced that they will no longer release first team players for national team camps outside of fifa mandated windows. This is a big hit for ynt’s as they have some younger players that are really talented and it now means that Brooks Lennon and Miles Robinson will not be in a u23 camp again.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #10 Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 1, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    In COL-DCU, Lewis scored the game-winner after coming on as a late sub, Vines went 90 and Bassett was an unused reserve; Paredes was an unused reserve for DC.

The Lewis goal ended a kind of ping-pong play during which he might also have prevented another teammate from scoring, though far from intentionally. The play starts around 5:50.

11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Sands gets the start for NYC against Columbus. Parks is on the bench, along with Zelalem.

Berhalter on the bench for the Crew!

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    I thought Tessman was really good, but I'm not seeing this freakish athleticism. Good athleticism, yes, but nowhere near Alphonso Davies or anything like that. Pomykal was his normal dynamic self.

Santos looked pretty good, but the possibility of a Tessman/Pomykal/Roberts midfield is one of the things that excites me most about MLS this season. I don't think Servania is up to the level of these guys.

13. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
  14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Danny Leyva starts for Seattle.

15. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Not talking about his athleticism. The size, he is huge, Cobra looks tiny next to him.

don Lamb repped this.
  16. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    On a more unheralded note, Chicago's starting '97 Mauricio Pineda.

TarHeels17 repped this.
  17. la torre

la torre Member+

Dec 27, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Mihailovic

no exit repped this.
  18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Plus, Mihailovic. And Gutjahr and Slonina on the bench.

no exit repped this.
  19. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Understood. I just quoted you as I was focusing on the players that you had mentioned. The athleticism comment was more based on crazy quotes from Dabo Swinney and others who have implied that he's a world class athlete.

20. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, this is also a reminder that "athleticism" is a word with a loose and vague definition, and therefore carries different meanings depending on who is saying it.

21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I won't get into the "world class" thing, but he does seem like the kind of athlete you don't always see patrolling the midfield in a soccer game given his combination of size and coordination. If/how it translates against adult pros is still an open question, but he certainly catches the eye.

22. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    I definitely see a very good athlete. I'm just doubtful that it's so special as to separate him from everyone else at the professional level.

23. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    But when compared to his size, it’s an asset.

And he doesn’t even have GAM strength yet.

don Lamb repped this.
  24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Robinson with the start for Miami. Duke on the bench for LAFC.

25. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #25 Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 1, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    Not much of a scouting report after 10 minutes, but he's reasonably lively, and looks at least physically up to the task. He's run a bit and done some pressing. He collected one ball pretty high up the field and was looking to take a defender on 1v1, which unfortunately broke down when he was double-teamed, for reasons I hope are logical enough to you. Anyway, I'll try to watch the rest of the first half.

Edit: Around 20 minutes or so in, he got the ball with back to goal and had an opportunity to collect and lay off that looked like a good opportunity for Miami. He couldn't hang onto the ball and got dumped by a defender, and criticized by Twellman, as a result.

Edit: Around 29 minutes he got another ball with his back to goal in the box. He couldn't deal with it cleanly but he figured it out and managed to tap it back to a teammate, leading eventually to a shot for Miami in a good spot.

Edit: Around 31 minutes, a set piece across the goal led to a ball back into Robinson on the doorstep, but it was a bit behind him. Not much of a play for him there that I could see given the ball he had to deal with, though he was in position otherwise.

Tactical Hipster repped this.