YNT-eligible MLS players: 2019 In-season Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Balerion, Mar 2, 2019.

1. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    no bello sucks here. him for brek wouldve been a no brainer had he not started in the first place

2. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta United right now is a terrible spot for AC, but from their perspective it’s gotta be an ideal situation. Cheap, homegrown depth who might eventually come good (on ATL’s timeline - could be 2 years down the line). There’s no real pressure to play him, and they’d get nothing in return if they did.

Carleton’s agent may need to go out there and earn his cut.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  3. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shaft Brewer on the bench for LAFC.

Luksarus repped this.
  4. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Are Busio and Lindsey hurt?

5. kingshark

kingshark Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Have we seen Atlanta United's training? It's very likely Carleton isn't as strong as some of our fans hyped. Coaches can be not that friendly to certain young players but he is at least not good enough to be the obvious choice in the squad.

In the end, I really want to see what he can do when giving enough time for first team so it's indeed frustrating.

6. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    We don't need to see training to know bringing on a Defensive Midfielder to replace a winger down 2 makes no sense. He's not even getting beat out by like-kind players. Bizarre

leppercut and Pegasus repped this.
  7. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He might be a player who's pretty poor in training.

8. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I caught random chunks of games last night, but we were bar hopping at VT so I missed some things and may have been drunk. First, while the girls were getting ready, I saw a little of the NYRB v Crew game. It was really neat that Omir Fernandes started but I didn't see anything impressive. I liked Kyle Duncan a lot, I was scared about him coming back from injury though, also my girlfriend really liked his hair.

A little later a girl we were with got this bartender she knows to put on MLS for me and my friends and we watched a big part of the second half of the Galaxy v Fire game. Before we even got the game on I had seen the lineup and was excited because I had never two thread eligible domestic 10s in one MLS game. Neither 10 really impressed me much, but I don't think either hurt their case. But I really like Alvarez, I guess I had missed him getting subbed in, but I saw him do something and I liked it enough I had to check who did it only to see it was him.

The Seattle v Cincinnati game came on and we only caught the first half but god damn was Jordan Morris good, I know he doesn't count either. I think if Cincinnati's 10 in Corbon Bone then we will see Amaya fight his way into that mess sooner than later.

Just watched the DC game and I'd like to see what Durkin could do any where on our backline, that being said I think our backline and CMs were pretty much flawless. It may be a hard year for Durkin.

Winoman repped this.
  9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think an almost 36 year old Big Red, a defensive midfielder with two goals in his first two seasons with Atlana, is scoring bangers on the regular in training?

leppercut repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Atlanta is the absolute worst club in MLS that Carleton could play for. They feel no obligation to develop young Americans. They are the richest club in the league, and widely praised by the MLS media. They are a richer version of Club America or Monterrey. They want to acquire young South Americans with potential, and sell them for more than they paid for them. Young Americans might be as good or better, but they hold less value to clubs in Europe.

Look no further than Barco being worth 15M. We know Carleton isn't worth 15M. He's better than Barco, but nationality matters when it comes to price tag, therefore it makes less sense to give him minutes. Atlanta doesn't need to use Carleton. At SKC or RSL, they could not afford from a sporting or business aspect to not develop a player like Carleton. I know we aren't allowed to criticize Atlanta because apparently all thats needed to get praise now in MLS is using an obvious business and sporting strategy, if you had the funds Atlanta does.

However, I'm not an MLS fan. I think it is a disgrace that in around the 20th best league in the world, there are teams that feel no need to develop young domestics. This is not Barcelona or Man City with world stars saying they have no use for developing young domestics. Its a club with players who on the world stage make no dent. Atlanta isn't the only team in MLS that does this (LAG, NYCFC), but they are one of the main culprits. They are also the only team in the league that gets praise for this strategy.

I'd like to know what Atlanta told Carleton when he signed. Did they lie? He had plenty of European interest. Did they tell him they'd be spending league record transfers multiple times over on players at his position? If so, he has himself to blame.

Patrick167 and Luksarus repped this.
  11. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    and yet jeff l isnt young or south american

12. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    Diego Rossi is absolutely little bro-ing Graham Zusi right now, Zusi is on a yellow and I wouldn't be surprised be surprised if he gives a second stupid one. We may see Lindsey next week.

13. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Double yellow for Espinoza, does that lead to suspension next game? Opening for Busio?

Brotheryoungbuck repped this.
  14. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    Or Kuzain... also Zusi just gave up the game winner, poor game for ol San.

15. kingshark

kingshark Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    No, Soccer sometime is not that simple. If you are down at score, but put in a defensive black hole, get ready for other goals to lose. Also, if you put 5 attackers but no control of midfielder, you want goals coming?

So back to Carleton, Tata and Frank, two different coaches, decided to pick other options even weird options rather than Carleton in similar situations, that might prove that Carleton is not an obvious talent to change the game for them.

16. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Potentially true. If that’s the case, and Atlanta sees hardly any chance of using Carleton barring a massive injury crisis, why even keep him on the roster? Cut him, trade him, sell him....whatever, he isn’t an asset to you if you never use the guy.

Patrick167 repped this.
  17. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Busio was on the injury report as questionable. No idea if he’ll be ok for next weekend.

18. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Well you do need a 30 man roster and Carleton’s salary doesn’t count towards the cap.

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don’t think there’s much of an argument that Carleton isn’t able to play a role on an MLS team. Why try to mislead with this discussion?

20. kingshark

kingshark Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    #70 kingshark, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    That's true. For me, I hope Carleton can go to Euro. So after he said he want to prove he can succeed without going overseas I thought that was so naive. Top prospects in US should go to Europe.

But for Atlanta United, maybe they just think they can slowly put him into the picture. I'm not too excited on him, so I'm not that mad, but I can understand his fans' upset, it's just like Pulisic now in Dortmund, I publicly said I want they lose every game without Pulisic and hope Sancho play like shit because I'm his fan.

21. kingshark

kingshark Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    mislead what? He can play a role and should be in the rotation roster, but not a regular first team player yet. Why you sound like there are no other opinions on him?

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    We shouldn't let the Carleton situation diminish what was a pretty darn good opening weekend in terms of minutes for youngsters.

I'm sure somebody will be keeping a better list, but these are the players that we saw this weekend from youngest to oldest:

Efrain Alvarez
    Cole Bassett
    Jesus Ferreira
    James Sands
    Chris Durkin
    Paxton Pomykal
    Omir Fernandez
    Djordje Mihailovic
    Auston Trusty
    Reggie Cannon
    Danilo Acosta
    Brooks Lennon
    Kyle Duncan
    Keaton Parks
    Aaron Herrera
    Jonathan Lewis
    Jackson Yueill
    Miles Robinson
    Jeremy Ebobisse
    Sean Nealis
    Emil Cuello

A good start for week one. Some noticeable absences and some nice surprises.

xbhaskarx, Winoman and ebado repped this.
  23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You are trying to say he’s not good enough for regular minutes. Do you want to take a look at the list of attacking midfielders in MLS who get regular minutes?

24. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    Even at Ajax, under-rotation was de Boer’s biggest problem as a coach. He was able to overcome it due to his expert use of club resources. The challenge for him at Atlanta United will be to develop a similar expertise. He didn’t display said expertise last night as Atlanta was flat after an emotional game and DC was pumped to play the defending champions. de Boer needs to improve in this area - using resources available to him - or his time in Atlanta will not end positively. In Ajax he was famous for developing young players, but last night he obviously did not feel safe using a bunch of them. Time will tell.

25. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    I wouldn’t say “irresponsible” as much as I would say that it shows how much he trusts the guys he didn’t play. This is more of a problem for him at Atlanta United than at other clubs as every team in MLS will be pumped up to play the defending champion.