YNT-eligible MLS players: 2019 In-season Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Balerion, Mar 2, 2019.

1. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    If you see someone as "no miss" that you can sell at 18, yes. But how often that happens?

2. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    right but as the economics shift you will have to pay some kids out of fear you are wrong in your evaluations sums which should be dwarfed by what you make from selling the hits

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. Case by case basis. And all depends on the options that the young players have.

I think what clubs would like to do with the elite of the elite prospects is sign them at 16 to 3 year deals with options Elite of the elite prospects must be MLS deals and not USL deals. Have reasonable transfer clauses built into contracts that are fair to both parties. Then if the players want to stay then they can sign extensions like Paxton Pomykal just did.

I mean, Paxton Pomykal is now making more money than Joey Gallo did this season. [If reports are accurate.] And people are acting like poor Paxton Pomykal is stuck in MLS. Hello? I'd rather be Paxton Pomykal than Haji Wright right about now.....................

4. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    @Runhard wants them to sign pro deals with MLS teams but at FCD that's not as easy as that. They have a ton of HGPs already. There are only so many slots. As long as the money is good what does it matter NTSC or FCD? Or do what Pepi did, sign a USL deal with escalators to make it a MLS deal or they can be sold for cheap.

It's length of contract and a buyout clause that really matters, not whether it's a MLS deal.

don Lamb repped this.
  5. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    I wonder if this is the same injury that’s been affecting his performance the last ~2 months.

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    What about his performance all season?

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Seems like it.
    Everything is probably related.

He had an extended hamstring problem and then an extended hip flexor problem.

So who knows...………………….

8. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Was there a better FCD player this season? (I have a feeling you are going to suggest Ferreira.)

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #2709 Clint Eastwood, Nov 1, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    Over the course of the entire season Ferreira was more impactful than Pomykal.
    He had 8 goals and 6 assists. Pomykal had 2 goals and 2 assists. Pomykal had injuries and was gone with the US U20s for an extended time.

That's not a comparison of the relative talent levels of the two players or who had the highest "peaks." Simply who was more impactful for FCD over the course of the whole season.

[Analytics (Whoscored, Audi Player Index) tell us that the best player for FCD was actually Ryan Hollingshead at left back.]

Pomykal does have a lot of injuries. He's had meniscus surgery on both knees, he had an ankle problem two years ago, hamstring issues this season that put the U20 WC in doubt...........and then a hip flexor/core issue. No doubt about it: Pax needs to find a way to maintain health, fitness, and

TCS35, WheezingUSASupport and eneste repped this.
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    By the way, in what could be a boon for an academy system that can use a champion.......................this would be a great hire for Orlando if they can pull it off.
    Pareja was great with young players in both Colorado and Dallas.

11. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Even with the injuries, I would argue that Pomykal was more important and impactful than Ferreira even though the stats don't suggest that. Watching the games, Hollingshead is a "glue guy" type -- he's massively important to the team, but he's not a player that can be relied on to carry them in any sort of way. I think the only real debate is between Pax and Jesus, and, to me, it seems obvious that Pomykal is the one driving the team, even when he's playing high or out wide. When Pomykal is not playing, the team lacks that focal point.

In any case, the idea that Pomykal had a poor season because he only had 2g, 2a is lazy, in my opinion.

12. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Are those transfermarkt stats? Don’t think they count MLS assists, if you go on MLS’ site, Paxton’s stats show 2g and 5a, so that makes the numbers look a smidge better.

13. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    FCD signs too many HG and not all of them are very good. They hand out HG deals like candy. If I am Gomez, I am making a point that my deal is better than everyone else on these USL deals. It means more to the team and will impact how they treat him if he is on a MLS Deal with a high salary instead of a cheap USL deal.

At some point, FCD will have to be more selective on who they pick for HG deals. That time is coming soon. If Cannon does not leave, Bryan Reynolds may be out of a job soon and that was a bust. If Pax and Servania stay, Thomas Roberts sits around another year at USL games and gets very few MLS games. Cerrillo was MIA the last part of FCD season so he needs games too. If I am Tessman not sure there is any reason to sign as he will be 19 next year and no way through to first team. Too much of a backlog due to signing so many.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    A good problem to have :) Too many youngsters coming out of a domestic academy with MLS (at a minimum) potential. FCD's probably the only academy in the US/Canada dealing with this challenge.

The USL team has helped some of the younger players with playing time. The Bayern Munich partnership could be helpful if we can send more kids on loan there at a time. But ultimately we have to accept kids leaving. As long as FCD profits, then everything should be fine. What we don't want is FCD investing a ton of money, and then not gaining anything in return for that investment. Then there's no incentive for them to keep going.

The real challenge and one we don't yet have an answer to: How can a club in MLS be a serious challenger for MLS Cup and trophies while at the same time being a developmental club. If you're just going to run an assembly line of talented young players to Europe, that's not going to get you anywhere in the long run.

15. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    I would argue they sign a number that don't have MLS potential but MLS is a pretty low bar so perhaps they do. FCD should care very little about winning cups and trophies for the first team. If they can get a pipeline to Europe ( which they haven't been able to yet) that would be more beneficial than trophies or first team titles. With the atmosphere in the DFW area the way it is, first team trophies are meaningless and putting kids on big teams in Europe's top five league ( while making some money) should be the goal. Not there but maybe working towards it in the future.

16. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    They can do both. If they’re developing players good enough to go to big Euro leagues along with solid vets like Hedges and Hollingshead, they should be consistently one of the better teams.

It’s not like Ajax, Porto, Benfica, etc. sit mid table in their leagues.

17. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm a big fan of the player, but I'm not sure San Jose has proven that they'll play young homegrowns. Akanyirige, Fuentes and Cowell all were among the last few players in the squad last season. The coach had nearly no use for them. Why should I think this is good for Walls?

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I think it is pretty up in the air. Almeyda has said that part of the reason he is in, and staying at San Jose, is to build a program that brings up youth, etc. And he has played younger players like Yueill, Thompson and Lopez, the LB.

But he hasn't played anyone from the academy in any amount. And his system requires a lot of cohesion and a ton of stamina.

So I don't know how much we'll see of an academy guy who can't straight out win a spot. I trust Almeyda to play someone who deserves it, but I'm not sure he's proven anything on developmental minutes.

Tactical Hipster and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I love our planet as much as the next guy, but recycling the old "The Kids Are Alright" cliche on a HG signing tweet is just inexcusable.

21. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #2722 Clint Eastwood, Nov 8, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    There's been smoke for a while. How's the fire?
    Reggie Cannon has received significant interest from English suitors. One in the Premier League and one in the Championship. Also says, FCD would like to sign him long term. Of course they would. Insider types like Buzz have indicated that they've made contract offers to Reggie without a deal being reached. FCD has significant depth in the fullback pipeline in the academy, NTSC, NCAAs, and even the first team (Bryan Reynolds, John Nelson). This can happen and all parties can be thrilled with the outcome.

As I've predicted previously, decisions on Cannon and Ferreira will be both get done before the start of the 2020 season. Cannon gets transferred to Europe in January, Ferreira signs to a Pax-style contract extension.

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Cannon needs to leave. It’s good that he could capitalize on FCD’s blunder of not wanting to pay him as much as Pomykal.

Rivera is a very average player, IMO. I figured he could eventually be a homegrown signing after playing college soccer. I didn’t think they would sign him at this point. He’s going to need years of development, and New England isn’t known for being good in that area, so I wouldn’t expect much to come from that signing.

dougtee repped this.
  24. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018

Perhaps FCD thinks Bryan Reynolds or Bonilla can do Reggie's job cheaper than Reggie will.

dougtee repped this.
  25. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Isn't NE starting a USL L1 team?

Maybe Rivera fit there?