YNT-eligible MLS players: 2019/2020 Offseason thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 18, 2019.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    1207687030169313288 is not a valid tweet id

WheezingUSASupport and bballshawn repped this.
  2. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    '97 Drake Callender has signed with Inter Miami.

'01 Teddy Ndje, Baltimore-area native previously with Banfield in Argentina, is apparently signing with Orlando City.

3. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They acquired his rights back in November but I don't see an announcement on their site that they've signed him yet.

autobus39 repped this.
  4. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He announced it on Instagram yesterday.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6UHgpvhArS/

5. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Was it December last season when we saw a flurry of HG signings, or January?

6. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    December-February is homegrown season

7. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    With Wicky getting hired in Chicago are there Chicago academy prospects he coached with the U17 team that could see playing time next season?

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    They had one product on the U-17 WC team, but he's playing at Fulham now (Damian Las).

Aside from Mihailovic, they have a few quality younger players that could receive playing time this season. Mauricio Pineda ('97), a CB, was one of the best players in college soccer this season. He's a former YNT international, and should sign with them as a homegrown signing. Andre Reynolds ('01), a LB, could start getting some minutes. I don't know if he's good enough to instantly be a starter, but there are plenty of players in MLS who play more than I think they should and plenty who play less than I think they should, so I don't know what they'll decide with him.

They also recently signed Nicholas Slonina ('01). He's a CB. I haven't seen him play in a while, but he's not been playing football this season because Chicago decided they didn't need a U-19 academy team this season. I would not expect him to be a contributor this season, but maybe I'm wrong. I think him signing with Chicago was more of a favor they did for the family after his brother agreed to him. His brother was on his way to Europe from what I was told until being offered a first team contract at the last minute.

His brother, Gabe Slonina ('04), is a GK, but he's not ready to play professional soccer this season. He's only signed because Chicago didn't want to get nothing for him with the European interest he was generating.

They don't have any other '01 or '02 prospects anymore because they got rid of their U-19 academy team. They lost some good players to other academies. Javier Casas ('03) is a potential HG signing. He's a well-rounded CM and a regular US youth international. They have a pair of good keepers in their U-17's. The aforementioned Slonina, but also Chris Brady ('04). Brady is the better keeper from what I've seen, but he doesn't come with the fanfare of Slonina. Neither is all too likely to impact the first team anytime soon though.

They also have Justin Reynolds ('04), who is a RB. He's the brother of Andre. Andre is a good player, but Justin is a lot better, and will be signed soon enough by the first team if he doesn't decide for Europe. IMO, Justin is the best prospect left in their academy.

There are some other names who could be signed eventually (Brian Gutierrez, Alex Monis, Allan Rodriguez, Sergio Oregel, Amari Fowlkes), but I'll stop there because all these players would be far off first team playing time.

WheezingUSASupport and largegarlic repped this.
  9. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago loses a lot of their prospects to the other local teams like Sockers and FC United. With the size of their area and the lack of other clubs they should be significantly out producing every other club by a wide margin but they’ve never put full support into the academy unfortunately. They have a great 2004 class and a pretty good 2003 class who could use USL minutes but have no team to play.

10. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1211638500950511616 is not a valid tweet id

don Lamb, ielag, Luksarus and 2 others repped this.
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Thats not a terrible idea with Ramos as the coach. He seemed to have a tough time catching on in Europe, but I think he's a good player.

Luksarus and USSoccerNova repped this.
  12. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For some reason the Portugal move just never materialized even though he had major interest over there. He’s a quality player who could easily break into the u-20 cycle if he gets minutes in MLS this season.

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #163 Dave Marino-Nachison, Dec 30, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    A few thread-eligible guys in the (presumably, work-in-progress) GA/signed senior list:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...tion-adidas-class-two-seniors-signed-2020-mls

The Jack Maher signing removes another non-pro from the 2019 U20 pool, Tab's last. I believe he's the first guy to go pro since the cycle ended. Anyway, here are the rest of the non-pros, unless I missed something, which is very likely:

Becher Simon
    Booth Taylor
    Davis Gideon
    de la Fuente Konrad
    Garces Justin
    Marks George
    McMaster Justin
    Mendoza Glademir
    Morris Jake
    Nicola Chris
    Salas Mark
    Stanley Aedan
    Stiebel Seth
    Tracey Greg
    Vom Steeg Carson
    Zarris Aristotle
    Zawadski Sean​

14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point it's quite unlikely any of these guys will affect the Olympic cycle but for the record, these guys have signed with MLS in advance of the draft:

RB Dylan Nealis '98
    CB Tanner Beason '97
    CB Henry Kessler '98
    CB Jack Maher '99
    FW Robbie Robinson '98

Winoman repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This could also effect Sands, Haak, Gray, Torres, although I think all of them are better defensively than Zelalem, and I think using him as a deep-lying playmaker is asking for trouble.

WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    It's kind of hard to believe there are all that many minutes available for Zelalem at this point based on last year's roster/depth chart, though of course those are likely to change. With that said, I assume he's affordable. Why not roll the dice?

17. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    We got new Freddy. Though Adu did perform well on youth teams.

18. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does NYCFC even have a coach....

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Also worth noting that '98 fullback Eddie Munjoma posted a "goodbye letter" to SMU thanking them for everything they've done for him. Whether its to go to FCD or sign elsewhere is unknown.

20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Well, he is a senior, so I'm pretty sure it means he ain't stayin'.

Can't see FCD giving him big money unless Cannon moves. Between Reggie, Reynolds and even Nelson, who can play on either side, FCD isn't exactly hurting for right backs right now.

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Oh.................I thought he was a junior. Screwed that up.

I see a player like Eddie signing a first team FCD deal, but spending most of next season with North Texas. He can play on the right or left, just like Nelson.

I'm gonna wait until all of the off-season and transfer window moves are done before figuring out the depth chart.

Even if Reggie's not sold, he's potentially gone a lot with the USMNT and US U20s in 2020. Need depth there.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Isn't FC Dallas already at their maximum HG allotment? They might need to clear some space.

23. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I read that they had maxed out their supplemental roster (which includes many HGs), but since then Ferreira signed a new contract that probably bumps him to the "senior" roster.

24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

25. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017

WheezingUSASupport and autobus39 repped this.