YNT-eligible MLS players: 2019/2020 Offseason thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 18, 2019.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Colombian YNT #6, who is also US-eligible.

Pl@ymaker and autobus39 repped this.
  2. NoHammiesAltidore

United States
    Jun 28, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    David Loera signs with a homegrown deal with Orlando City from NC State.

3. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    autobus39 and WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  4. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
  5. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Say fcking cheese. The kid looks happier than Danny Szetela.

WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Where has he been playing this season? Chicago said they didn’t need a U-19 team this season. One of their first team players has missed half a season of games because they didn’t need a U-19 team.

Brotheryoungbuck repped this.
  7. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Slonina got a one year deal with 3 years of club options, so not the typical deal.

don Lamb repped this.
  8. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    I would guess we see more variety in these deals going forward...

9. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, I noticed that too.

10. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #135 David Kerr, Dec 11, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    It's the good faith deal they probably did to keep his brother happy. He could end up being pretty good. He was a part of the u17 residency for the 2000/2001 cycle as a 2001 which is very difficult to do especially with the talent that was on that team. If he wants any hope of playing for the u20's he needs a loan to a USL team fast or he wont make it over Otasowie, Sepulveda, Carerra, Tomkinson, and Campbell.

11. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
  12. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zico is the most underrated Kleiban kid. It was just unfortunate for him that Dest, Lindsey, and Araujo were in the same cycle as him.

13. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    what does that have to do with his club development being so uneven? plenty of guys are blocked at youth national team levels and still establish themselves as they get older.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Shrug. He's a soon-to-be 20 year that played 5 games in the USL last year. And i think those are his only real professional appearances. How are people supposed to rate him? He's a name we all know who hasn't really done anything yet.

WHen I look at Cincinnati's first team roster, I have no idea when or how Zico will find playing time. They have a glut of fullbacks...........................

15. Arantes

Arantes Member

Fluminense
    Brazil
    Dec 4, 2018
    Not only that, what's up with the shortest stint I have ever seen in those two Nordic countries? He seemed to be doing well in college...

16. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I like the replies. All these foreign fans subtweeting their team to sign him.

WheezingUSASupport and USSoccerNova repped this.
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Should help a little with young Americans getting playing time. Teams are more willing to play them in the Cup.

19. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's also a way for them to break out and start getting MLS minutes if they impress. I knew Cannon was going to be good after watching in USOC a few years ago. It can reinforce your impressions of a player you've seen in other places (say youth national teams) and gives them confidence.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This won't help Ochoa gain the starting spot. This is a little ironic of a trade because for years everyone has always wanted to see MacMath in a team where he can be a starting keeper, but now he's at an age where he's probably not going to reach the NT, and signing here is only going to add more competition for Ochoa.

21. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say MacMath and Ochoa had, at the very least, vaguely similar levels of play during their teenage years. Both USYNT gks and have/had some momentum going into their 20s. But Philly overcommitted to MacMath and throws him in the deep end. He's clearly not ready, despite the Union sticking by their guns for three years, and he ends up washing out there, not being a starter since 2014. Say what you want about his ceiling, but MacMath is now viewed as damaged goods because Philly didn't take care of him.

For Ochoa's own sake, he shouldn't be too excited to get in over his head. He was average at best in USL play this year ad he only has 21 professional starts to his name. He needs to keep getting minutes at the USL level and maybe a couple of USOC appearances to dip his toes in, but you don't want to end up in a MacMath situation with an ex-exciting prospect.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I absolutely hear you. I'm not a big fan of his game. I've long thought he was very average, but Ochoa has found himself in a much better club situation than the majority of keepers of his caliber, in my opinion. Therefore, he's going to be one of the keepers from his era with a shot at turning into a NT level keeper and he's worth tracking because of it.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  23. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh absolutely. I love that he's working up in RSL. I was just pointing out that not seeing him in MLS over the next couple years doesn't mean it's a failure and could actually be good for him in the long run.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  24. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see the acquisition of MacMath as relatively positive for Ochoa. The truth is that we don't know if Ochoa is ready to make the leap to be an MLS starter or if he needs more time. There's no doubt that RSL needs an insurance policy if Ochoa shows that he should be in USL for one more year. MacMath can start if Ochoa falls on his face in preseason, but also doesn't represent an insurmountable challenge.

soccersubjectively and Luksarus repped this.
  25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--