YNT-eligible MLS players: 2019/2020 Offseason thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Arantes

Arantes Member

Fluminense
    Brazil
    Dec 4, 2018
    Well, Fernando (his family) also owned a soccer agency so there's that...
    My takeaway from the article you attached is that Thiago Santos is coming from Palmeiras...Zannotta's brother is a vicepresident there which seems waaaaay too convenient of a connection. As you pointed out, there are rumors of other potential Brazilian players (guess from what team? yep, Palmeiras) being linked to FC Dallas: Raphael Veiga. That's how we roll back home.

TimB4Last repped this.
  2. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dewsnup is too early to say hes a consistent guy unless hes an every camp player like a Leone, Rotundo, or Hot. I'm disappointed in myself for forgetting about Garcia. But even then 1-2 ynt players is a drop off from their production of players born in the 90's.

3. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    RSL could still potentially do well in solidarity payments with those 3.

Their training facility is ridiculous too. They didn’t build that goliath just for their 1st team. Hansen is still fully invested in their youth and I believe is frequently seen at their DA matches. Their travel expenses now being based in Utah have to have grown quite a bit as well.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    If it was easy to produce consistent, year-to-year supplies of elite youngsters....................every club would do it. :) It's not. And no club does it. Barcelona doesn't do it. Dallas certainly doesn't do it. There are gaps. I think we're seeing one right now with their U17s. They'll need to recruit to fill holes.

If Ledezma, Booth, and Soto had broken into the RSL first team right now and not the PSV, Bayern, and Hannover first teams.....................our perception would be pretty different. :)

Last year the RSL U19s and U17s both made the playoffs. The RSL U19s finished 2nd in a competitive Southwest division behind only the Barca academy (Matthew Hoppe, etc.). So they're doing "OK."

We know the deal with RSL. Their homegrown territory isn't great (Utah, Arizona. They used to share New Mexico, but I don't know if that's still the case). So they're a club that really got on the scouting/recruiting train early. They brought kids in from all over the Southwest and California (those not in LAG or SJ territory). That's tougher and tougher as the years go by. More academies are opening up across the country allowing kids to stay closer to home. That includes the Barca academy smack dab in the middle of their Arizona territory. There are even kids from Utah at that Barca academy (Bryce Duke for instance).

I don't think the erasing of homegrown territories necessarily helps clubs like RSL. It might actually hurt. Hmmmmm......................I can go to an academy in Miami or Sandy, Utah. I can go to New York City, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Seattle.............or Sandy, Utah.

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    WheezingUSASupport and USSoccerNova repped this.
  6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Done deal. It should be interesting to see what Pareja is able to do with young players in Orlando. He certainly was a champion of them in Colorado and Dallas. [BY the way, Orlando evidently had to pay $200k in allocation money to FCD in order to hire Pareja. Pareja's decision to leave FCD for Tijuana included provision that FCD would be compensated if he returned to MLS. Actually it doesn't same allocation money I guess. Could be straight cash homie.]

7. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Didn't Pareja just get hired by Tijuna yesterday? He didn't last there very long, what maybe one full season?

Not sure that is the guy you need to lead your team to glory after he got sacked in Mexico so quickly.

Any idea why Mexico canned him so fast?

8. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    He misspelled Tijuana once too often?

https://sbisoccer.com/2019/11/former-fc-dallas-head-coach-pareja-out-at-club-tijuana

"The club announced the news on Monday as the two parties mutually agreed to part ways. Pareja has been previously linked with a return to MLS with Orlando City as a possible destination."

9. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Guess he just wasn't good enough to coach in Teeajuana. They don't give them much of a chance to turn things around over there.

I like how they say Mutually agreed. That's funny.

10. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    And Pareja's laughing all the way to the bank. He was not successful at Tijuana, and presumably they were happy enough to see him go, but he also wanted out and found an ideal landing spot. Sounds mutual to me.

11. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    I guess when you fail somewhere and have an escape route perhaps it was mutual. Just don't know too many coaches that want to leave a place they just moved to after one year.

12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    How many coaches do you know that have moved from MLS to Tijuana?

There's no question Pareja failed in Tijuana, but (imo) it was mostly a failure of foresight - not doomed to failure necessarily but unlikely to succeed, on or off the field.

13. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    I am not sure why anyone would want to move to Tijuana but that's because I have been there.

I figured Pareja would see it as a long term stop and a way to move up the coaching ladder to a bigger league. I have no idea why he failed but a one and done is never a good look for any coach. Will see how he does back in the MLS.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #114 Clint Eastwood, Dec 4, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    Shrug. Every club in Mexico other than Tigres changes managers every two years. Shocking turnover. There's no such thing as even a 3 year project in Mexico. Its actually one of the reasons that American kids have a hard time gaining traction with first teams in Mexico. In my opinion anyway. The second you've found a coach that believes in you and wants to develop you.............he leaves.

If we combine the apertura and clausura this past season, Pareja and Tijuana finished mid-table. And made the quarterfinals of the clausura playoffs. Successful? No. Failure? Bit harsh. Tijuana isn't Club America or Tigres or Monterrey financially.

upload_2019-12-4_12-12-3.png

15. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pareja's tenure in Tijuana was actually slightly above-average in length compared to the average Tijuana manager over the last 10 years. They've gone through more than one manager per year in that span.

16. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018

that is a pretty funny chart. guess if you get a job as a manager in League MX you rent, you don't buy.

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    This actually isn't unusual for many leagues in this hemisphere. The turnover in Brazil is insane. You go on a three game losing streak in Brazil and you're out. Only one coach in Brazil has been at his job for more than a calendar year at this point. Renato Gaucho at Gremio. They just pass coaches around like STDs!

https://www.transfermarkt.us/campeonato-brasileiro-serie-a/trainer/pokalwettbewerb/BRA1

18. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Doesn't sound healthy.

19. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This guy is not extremely reputable because he isn't a journalist or anything, just a very well-connected Chicago Fire fan, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to post it anyway:

20. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Djordje is a better player than people give him credit for. But he is a very confidence driven player. If his morale is high then he can ball like he did in January-April but if his confidence isn't 100% you see the Djordje we have had for the last 5-6 months who barely looks like he can complete a pass at times.

thedukeofsoccer, ielag and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  21. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    hmm otoh it says true right in his twitter handle

autobus39 repped this.
  22. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clavijo once told me he was close to convincing Diego Forlan to sign in MLS. Said he always put if off one more year.

23. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To follow up on this MLS will formally announce Charlotte's team on December 17th. A team in the Carolina's will be massive for player development for MLS and the youth national team system. There will be so many talented kids who will now have an opportunity to play on a funded team.

24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This goes against what Steve Goff said. Goff said he'd play mostly with the reserves. We'll see which reporter is correct.

WheezingUSASupport and Winoman repped this.
  25. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States