YNT-eligible MLS players: 2018/19 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Nov 21, 2018.

1. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Agreed that it’s good that he’s signed with LAG. The absurdity of these rules though with HG’s, one year of service etc etc is funny, and depressing.

Araujo and Chris Richards’ situations were similar; signing a HG deal before the one year of service mark...at least a loophole was found/created for Araujo. The fact that Richards couldn’t play games with FCD, but could with Bayern, is crazy. He couldn’t play in games a few hundred miles away from his home growing up, but he could play in games across the Atlantic Ocean. He couldn’t play in games with Maxi Urruti and Matt Hedges, but he could play in games with Robben and Ribery. Makes perfect sense.

2. ebado

ebado Member

May 2, 2008
    I won't pretend to fully understand it. Tenorio mentions LA wants Araujo in the 18 immediately. I didn't follow Richards enough to know if Dallas had a similar desire. I'm guessing that's what pushed this particular solution since LA could have just waited a few months. Does seem absurd but another day in MLS.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I've never heard a complaint from anybody involved with FCD regarding Richards' status. I think the plan was always to loan him to Bayern at his 18th birthday. FCD had one of the best CB tandems in the league last season anyway.

Now, the Chris Cappis issue is a different matter. Chris wanted to sign with FCD. FCD wanted to sign Cappis. But the league couldn't make that one work. [He was ineligible as a HG signing for a different reason than Araujo.]

TCS35 and ebado repped this.
  4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Brian's column on youngsters in MLS for 2019.

xbhaskarx and WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  5. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Rimando is retiring after this season. Hopefully Ochoa can seize that spot in 2020.

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I wouldn't mind that, but he'd be the youngest starting goalie in league history. One area where young Americans are not succeeding (across the board) is at goalkeeper. The youngest starting American keeper in the league is Gonzalez, who is 23. MLS teams have shown no faith in young keepers.

We can take the examples of Marcinkowski and Vom Steeg. Both of them play on teams with some of the worst keeper situations in the league, yet neither is given a chance to start. In Vom Steeg's case, he has never been given a chance. Marcinkowski got a brief chance at the end of last season when SJ was out of the playoff race. He's back to the bench to start this season.

onefineesq repped this.
  7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #982 Clint Eastwood, Mar 2, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    #1 in this category is self evident. The #2 is a team I'm looking at to take a leap in the thread eligible minutes category. That's NYCFC. A team for us to really keep an eye on. [BTW, the youngest team last season was the Supporter's Shield winner. NYRB. This year they're 3rd.]

Oldest team in the league is Seattle. A team that we know is investing a lot in the youth arena, and is perhaps a year away from incorporating a lot more youth.

TarHeels17 repped this.
  8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    ussoccer97531 repped this.
  9. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Trusty starting. Disappointing that Mckenzie is not, and Jones isn’t even the 18. Hoping it’s a knock.

Aaronson on the bench, would be great if he gets subbed in.

onefineesq repped this.
  10. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    Is there already a thread for the 2019 season?

11. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, so after all this talk about the Union not wanting to release McKenzie for the u20s because of his importance, he is not even starting above Jack Elliot in week 1?

12. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Acosta, Lewis, and surprisingly, Sands are starting.

Parks on the bench.

13. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States