YNT-eligible lower division-pro players: 2022 IN-SEASON thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by NoHammiesAltidore, Mar 11, 2022.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Winoman repped this.
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Games from last week.

New Mexico: Cristian Nava ('03) had a nice assist collecting the ball off the turn, and putting in a well-placed cross to a teammate. I like Nava and think he's the type of player we could see move up eventually, but I wouldn't go crazy thinking he's some next superstar coming out of USL just because there have been a few players from USL move up to MLS (or Europe) of late. He has his limitations. There's not anything too dynamic about his game. I like his soccer IQ, he combines with teammates well, he's an average or slightly better passer, low center of gravity, good ball skills, but he doesn't have any better than average quickness, he's not overly dynamic, not overly creative, not an overly good passer. I think we see him move up to MLS eventually, but a player like Diego Luna (from the same age group) with the limitations we speak about for Luna is a better prospect than Nava pretty clearly IMO.

NYRB II: It's only two games, so I don't want to go overboard, but Curtis Ofori ('05) might finally be starting to figure it out. I'm not going to lie. He was pretty bad early this season and prior seasons to the point where you wonder why they are putting him on the field at this level week after week to get destroyed. It's possible though that he was showing well in training, but couldn't yet translate it to games at this level. The last two games I've seen he's been pretty good defensively. Much quicker in his processing of the game defensively. Offensively, he's never going to be dynamic, but he has some sneaky skill. I think if the defensive game can come around consistently he can be a left-sided Jaylin, which is a valuable player. Thats a starting caliber MLS LB.

Sam Williams ('05) is also starting to figure it out. It's a little strange that it's happening for both these kids right around the same time (or I might just be noticing it a few weeks or months too late for Williams), but the improvements for Williams and Ofori have happened at almost the exact same time IMO. Williams is probably not more than Daniel Edelman with less toughness, less passing ability, and more positional versatility (can additionally play RB), but I think he can be a well-rounded two-way midfielder. Can be used as a 6 or 8. He'll tackle, he's not bad technically, he runs. He's good enough physically. He's not the most talented, but I think he could be an MLS regular.

It looks like Illia Tyrkus ('05) might've sustained a hamstring injury. He was starting to burn out a little with his form anyway, so a few weeks on the sidelines probably can give him some time to reset.

Atlanta II: Efrain Morales ('04) didn't continue the good play from his last game. He's played worse this season, but it was at best a mediocre performance. He's been used pretty consistently as a CB recently. He committed a penalty by shoving an off-balance striker. I thought it wasn't a penalty, but it was a stupid play. There was no reason for him to do that. The positive that comes from that is that he's starting to play a little more physical, but there was no reason to be physical there. The guy was going nowhere. The penalty ended up being saved, so it worked out okay anyway.

He did have a few other moments that drive you crazy trying to dribble out from the back, and losing the ball. Neither resulted in anything, but those are not plays you can make. If you aren't going to get back the attacker, kick it up field. You can't lose the ball there. Like always, he also had some plays that make you think he could be a regular USMNT starter one day, but not a good performance. It's going to take time, if he does pan out.

Noah Cobb ('05) was also pretty mediocre. I don't think he's bad. I can see him eventually being a low-level MLS CB, but I think they are putting him out there weekly in over his head at this level. This team is really bad, so it doesn't help a young CB. Playing next to Morales (who is about as unsteady of a CB as it gets) does not help, but Cobb really shouldn't be in the lineup as often as he is. I see some potential, but he struggles right now at this level.

Jonantan Villal ('05) played pretty well. The last few performances have been trending well after he had a dip of form for a month or two. He nearly had an excellent assist, but Jackson Conway flubbed what should've been a goal. I go back and forth about if he's actually really talented or if I overrate a small player with elite foot skills but questions elsewhere. I could see it going either way. I think he's gained slightly in the last 12 months on his stock, but it wouldn't be by a substantial amount.

He's not thread-eligible, but I should mention that Justin Garces continues to be the best player for this team by a long way. He saved the PK that Morales committed. He made a few other nice saves, including one incredible save that he deserved more credit for, but his decided not to defend the rebound, so it ended up a goal anyway. He doesn't make very many errors, and he's good in all areas of the game. I like to say GK's are about a cycle behind field players, so that would make Garces the equivalent of an '04. I think we'll hear more about him in upcoming years, but breaking in at Atlanta for anyone, let alone a GK, is very difficult.

Louisville: Josh Wynder ('05) had a good performance. Pretty good defensively. Not many errors. Not a very involved game with his passing, but was accurate with the passes he made. If I was to point out any criticisms, it would be the same ones I've mentioned before. He need to get stronger. No way a 6'3/6'4 CB should be losing as many headers as he does. I think a lot of it is lack of strength. He also need to work on his positioning. His quickness is right around average. There are moments where fast attackers can really chase him down, and expose his average quickness.

Orange County SC: I've been pretty disappointed with what I've seen from Alex Villanueva ('02) this season. He's been mediocre. He was so good last season. One of the best LB's in USL, but he's not had as much attacking impact as you'd expect for a player with his skills and his defense has regressed a little. Is it lack of motivation? He earned an MLS contract last season, and like we see with almost everyone, Seattle didn't care and didn't give it to him. Now he has to drop down in status to an independent USL team where there's not as much prospect of moving up. I'm not giving up on him, but he's not been good this season.

Korede Osundina ('04) got his first start of the season. He wasn't that good, but had a few nice flashes. One was a nice cross that was nearly headed in. Another was a play where he nearly caught Wynder and the GK in miscommunication, and closed quickly on the ball. His athletic burst is elite. Really fast player. His size/speed/quickness along with some technique/goal-scoring/soccer IQ reminds me of Tim Weah, but where I would say he falls short of Weah is that Weah is a lot more fluid. He does everything in one motion. Osundina needs more touches to create offensively. Technically and tactically he's not weak, but he's probably right at average (no better), whereas Weah is above that.

Luksarus and TheFalseNine repped this.
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Games from last week.

New Mexico: Cristian Nava ('03) was pretty mediocre, and was subbed off at the half. Very little to add about how he did than that. Not many touches and tended to turn the ball over when he had it.

Louisville: I think it has to be mentioned that Josh Wynder ('05) is starting to get a little overrated. I think he's had a good season and he's a pretty good prospect, but he has things he still needs to work on, and I'm not sure he has an elite level ceiling. The positioning is a problem, as I've mentioned many times before. He got caught out numerous times in this game. Given he doesn't have better than average recovery pace, he will have to learn in that area. He wasn't too bad in this game. I'm not even sure he was worse than average.

He has work to do though, and I think he's starting to earn a little too much credit for what he shows weekly and his ceiling. I'm not saying I dislike the player, but he's not a real option IMO for the U-20's this cycle. I also think he will need the extra few years in USL to improve his weaknesses before he's ready to go to Europe.

Orange County SC: Alex Villanueva ('02) had a really good game. Probably his best I've seen this season. He was excellent defensively. Made so many good defensive plays, and also was pretty good going forward. He's capable of showing this consistently, but has been underwhelming this season, as I had mentioned recently. He should be the best LB in USL, but hasn't been this season. There's still another half of the season for him to regain his form from last season. This was a good start towards doing that.

Korede Osudina ('04) had a nice assist, but not much involvement otherwise. When he gets running into space towards the ball, he's dangerous, but he's still not too involved in the game. I think he has the potential to play at a higher level than USL, but I don't know that it'll be anytime too soon. I'd like to see how he continues to develop the rest of this season, and into next season.

NYRB II: I thought this was a very positive debut for Nate Worth ('07). Keep in mind, he's 15. I thought he'd stick out for being too small, especially given his age, but he didn't. He must be 5'6/5'7 by now. He was probably the least physically imposing player on the field and was pushed off the ball a few times, but he wasn't out of place in this area. Given his age, I think it shows he's more pro ready than I would've thought.

Outside of the physical part of the game, he was able to keep up very well. He made a few defensive plays, he had a few nice offensive plays. Nearly scored a goal with a shot that was well saved. His passing were on point. He was taken out at halftime because he was on a yellow, and had committed a foul before the half on that yellow. It makes sense to not risk it for a player his age and to just take him out, but playing in a #10 type of role he certainly wasn't any worse than average. Given his age, thats a big achievement.

Curtis Ofori ('05) had a few weak defensive plays that I didn't like, but I think the improvement I've mentioned is for real. He's been so much more attentive the last number of games. This is now more than one or two good games. I think this is simply an improvement. Sam Williams ('05) has also been playing better. He was pretty active defensively. His passing was a little inaccurate, but his impact has been improving in recent weeks also.

TheFalseNine and gogorath repped this.
  4. efried

efried Member

Sep 7, 2020
    Some Red Bull notes to add on your past 2 updates tyrkus picked up an injury. Williams they are working with him to play more direct and turn moments he takes 4-5 touches in to
    2-3 touches similar stuff they wanted out of Edelman. Hoping to do an article on his rise as he kind of came out of nowhere during the Covid times where access was difficult. Ofori they are working on just keeping him in line throughout the game so that’s positionally being in the right spot and knowing when and where to go at the right times. Despite being played off the field players are still developing individually at rb2. They will be more competitive at mls next pro level usl is to good to be as focused on individual development as they are.

here is my latest update article on rb2

ussoccer97531 and gogorath repped this.
  5. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ‘06 Matthew Corcoran played the whole 2nd half for Birmingham Legion tonight. Good to see him get some extended PT.

Pl@ymaker and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Games from last week.

Colorado Springs: Isaiah Foster ('03) returned from injury recently, although I think he may have gotten re-injured again after or during this game, but he played the whole game. His positioning was a little problematic, and he got beat a number of times in this area, including it being a contributing factor to a goal his team allowed. I do like what I see though. He's pretty good defensively, but most teenage fullbacks have trouble with positioning.

What Jonathan Gomez did last season in USL where he might've only been at fault for 1-2 goals all year and was one of the best players in the league may never happen again for a teenage fullback in USL. You have to put some weak moments for young players in context because these players are still developing. Aside from the positioning errors in this game, he did and usually does his job. Not much more of less. Makes good decisions, has enough passing ability, dribbling ability, and recognizes danger well. Foster is doing well.

NYRB II: Very quiet game for Curtis Ofori ('05). Not always a bad thing. He had almost no moments of consequence in the game.

Sam Williams ('05) had a few more. I thought he had a slightly mediocre appearance, although he wasn't that bad. He did get turned on one play, and he's not someone who has the recovery speed to make up for getting turned. It ended up in a goal, although there were other errors after his that contributed to the goal. The comparison seems to be that he's going to be the new Edelman, but I think he's a worse prospect. Not by that much, but it's clear enough. He's pretty slow. Not terrible, but it's a weakness. Edelman doesn't look fast and he's not, but he gets around the pitch at an average rate. He also has crazy toughness for that role. Williams is tough, but not Edelman tough. I also think Edelman passes the ball a little better. Williams may be a little more positionally versatile, as he's also shown the ability to play RB.

Louisville: Joshua Wynder ('05) had his best game of the season, and maybe the best game of his career. He scored a goal off a header, and barely put a foot wrong all game. His passing was really good, he was making all types of good plays defensively, and I don't remember him being under threat all game. The other team had a bad game, so thats part of it, but he was really good. Impressive performance, given his age, even if we already know he's a good player at this level.

Loudoun: Very quiet performance for Abdellatif Aboukoura ('04). Tyler Freeman ('03) wasn't too much more active, but did score a nice goal on a counter. Pretty routine run into the box with the ball, and he roofed it past the goalie. It was so well placed and shot so hard that no goalie was saving it.

Jacob Greene ('03) wasn't based and hasn't been bad this season, but I expect better. I think we may be seeing that his game is more flawed than initially expected. His passing accuracy is weak, and something he needs to improve on. He's not bad technically and dribbles with the ball well enough, but he misplaces a lot of passes. I think it's fixable, but you can't give away the ball that often at higher levels. Aside from that, he's not done too bad, but a lot of turnovers from inaccurate passing and not adding too much value elsewhere isn't too good. I've said in the past that he's left-footed, and while he's good with his left, the more I see him at RB the more I'm starting to be convinced he may be right-footed. Either way, he's a very two-footed player. You don't find many players more comfortable playing RB and LB with equal comfort than him.

Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  8. NoHammiesAltidore

United States
    Jun 28, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And he found his new club.

ussoccer97531 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    A player I think needs to move to the USL is Thomas Roberts of FCD.
    Its not going to happen at Dallas. Might as well try to latch on somewhere else.
    An independent USL club should see him as a project worth rolling the dice on.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  10. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    With Los Dos up 5-0 against SD Loyal in the 83rd minute Jalen Neal with a 2nd yellow just outside the penalty area. He can make a nice pass as evidenced in the 1st half but his strength and positioning are still weaknesses. His inconsistency is maddening when contrasted with moments of nice passing. He has the potential to be a 1st team pro but it remains to be seen if he can improve his weaknesses.

11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Games from last week.

NYRB II: Curtis Ofori ('05) had a pretty good game. Not the most involved, but after a slow start to the game with some slow decisions, he picked it up later on and played a pretty good game, including a nice sliding tackle to save a goal. Sam Williams ('05) had a mostly nondescript game, but he did make one error that led to a goal. He was pushed slightly, but he had a weak back-pass that didn't even find its way all the way to the keeper. Can't be doing that. The team had a terrible game. He was far from the worst, but he was mediocre without being too bad.

Louisville: Josh Wynder ('05) had a pretty boring game. Did an above-average job though. Did well defending when he had to and had some good passes forward, like he usually does.

Atlanta United II: Efrain Morales ('04) is slowly starting to improve, but his game isn't all the way there yet. The first game of the week he was excellent, except for one play. He stupidly put out his hand to block a ball in the box. It was a clear hand ball. The type of error he makes too many of. A mental error. Aside from that, he was probably MOTM. Completely dominated. The second game of the week, he wasn't too bad. It was a slightly below-average performance, which for him isn't too bad. He didn't do anything that bad, although had little involvement. It was a boring performance. Boring for Morales is a good thing. The second game was at as a double 6 and the first was as a CB. I go back and forth on what his best position is. I think he can do less damage in midfield (as long as he's not a lone 6), but he probably is a little better, more involved and has more potential as a CB.

Luke Brennan ('05) had goals in each game. One was a nice run to create a tap-in and the other was a good contested header. He's a very versatile player and can play direct and make good decisions, but there's not a lot creative he does in an attacking sense. He's starting to make a little more of an impact at this level.

LAG II: Jalen Neal ('03) had a little bit of an erratic game, but I thought he was given a tough time by the referee during the game. It seemed like the referee really had it out for him, and was being way too harsh in his decisions against him. Neal is not usually an emotive player on the field, but he was visibly upset with the referee. Ended up getting red carded late on (inconsequential play and his team was leading by a big margin). The first yellow it wasn't even clear what he did wrong. Must've been for dissent. The second may have been a foul and if it is I can see it being a card, but I'm not sure he actually fouled him. One of those plays you can't really be too sure about. Very harsh play to give a second yellow for. All game though the referee was calling him for every slightly contact against attackers.

Aside from that, he had a great game with his passing. Absolutely a decisive impact in the game from his passing, including creating one of the goals with his passing. His defending was pretty good with a few slight wobbles, but nothing too bad. His red card likely does get Ferkranus a start the next game.

Birmingham: Matthew Corcoran ('06) had his first extended action in the first game of the week. Played 45 minutes. He was pretty good. When you consider his age, he was very good. His passing ability really does stand out a lot at this level. Very accurate and can play passes over all distances. His decision-making at this level is also impressive, given his age. Very few bad decisions. Defensively, he's probably about average right now, but he's still only 16 years old, so he does need to learn to play more physical. Once he gets stronger and plays a little more physical against pros, he'll be an above-average defensive presence at this level. The second game of the week he didn't play too many minutes with few touches, and it was more like his other appearances this season where you can't tell much.

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Snip (from the inbox):

The United Soccer League (USL) today continued its unparalleled growth, announcing a new USL League One expansion club, Santa Barbara Sky FC, to begin play in 2024. The club was officially welcomed into the USL during an event at Santa Barbara's MOXI, The Wolf Museum of Exploration + Innovation, where Sky FC unveiled its colors and crest.

Details regarding Santa Barbara Sky FC's women’s team will be announced in the coming months.

Santa Barbara Sky FC will play its home matches at La Playa Stadium on the campus of Santa Barbara City College (SBCC). ​

Clint Eastwood and Winoman repped this.
  14. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Let's goooooo

15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Snip (from the inbox):

The United Soccer League today announced it has entered an exclusive partnership with USL NOLA, a group dedicated to bringing a professional soccer club to Greater New Orleans with the intent to launch a USL Championship men’s team by 2025 and a USL Super League women’s team.

Leading USL NOLA are principals Warren Smith and Jamie Guin, who collectively have amassed an impressive list of success stories in the soccer and sports industry. ​

TarHeels17 repped this.
  16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    has he played in MNP yet?

17. NoHammiesAltidore

United States
    Jun 28, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, he has not. They've had 3 different '06s on their bench but haven't used one in a match yet

xbhaskarx repped this.
  18. NoHammiesAltidore

United States
    Jun 28, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Speaking somewhat of Gitau, but more generally -- I get the appeal of inverted wingers, but especially with young players (though also at higher levels) do those guys ever actually get minutes at their "natural" side? It seems like you'd want to develop wingers who could give your team a few different looks, which is not to say that there isn't purpose on developing both feet, too.

20. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

21. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    NISA doesn’t really still exist. Does it?

22. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ray Shoesmith repped this.
  23. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Wow. The only way to build the game is through grass roots clubs baby!

My goodness.

24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Winoman repped this.