YNT-eligible lower division-pro players: 2021 IN-SEASON thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Balerion, Apr 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoHammiesAltidore

United States
    Jun 28, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revolution II sign '03 Hikaru Fujiwara. The release specifies Japan and United States nationality.
    1395046719914717189 is not a valid tweet id

2. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hikaru is a good player but doesn’t come close to the other guys in our 03 winger pool. Wouldn’t put him ahead of any of the 04’s like Fede Oliva, Dantouma Toure, and Leo Torres

3. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    '03 who was with the last US U16s.

Pl@ymaker, Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  4. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Japan doesn't recognize second citisenship. He can't play for us.

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    If he ends up wanting to play for the USA, he can renounce his Japanese citizenship.

6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Assuming he's already a U.S. citizen, I doubt the U.S. would care what he does with his Japanese citizenship. He wouldn't have to do a thing to play for us.

7. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Yes, but that's not something that any Japanese guy I know would even consider.

8. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In theory. This situation has always interested me, and what I've found is that Japan rarely enforces their own rules that restrict dual nationality.

This article is paywalled, but a few quotes:

The article says that people who have foreign nationality by birth have never lost Japanese citizenship but a few people who gained foreign nationality later in life have. This would potentially apply to Fujiwara, but it still sounds rare in practice.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/commun...ns-nationality-act-really-mean-dual-citizens/

xbhaskarx and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay this response REALLY has me curious regarding the number of "Japanese guys" you personally know who have ambitions to one day play for either the Japanese or US national teams....

Arantes repped this.
  10. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    None, with those ambitions. Plenty of in general, and they would be the last ones to renounce their citisenship for whatever reason.

11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I've been trying to think of a good comparison for Jonathan Gomez, and one came to me today. Does he remind anyone else of Andy Robertson? Playing style and upside, I think he can be very similar to Robertson at his best.

twoolley repped this.
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

ussoccer97531 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  13. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    This is purely curiosity.....
    do you know plenty of Japanese citizens that ALSO have US citizenship? I really don't know details of the situation but if he is eligible to play for the US I would assume he already has US citizenship and I would guess that Japanese citizens living in US with US citizenship would be a much lower subset of Japanese citizens living in US w/o US citizenship. I could be very wrong.

Arantes repped this.
  14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  16. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    You are definitely right, and if any Japanese guys did have double citisenships, they wouldn't advertise that anyway. I wouldn't assume that the kid has US citisenship, he might rather have an easy way to it. What I've noticed that unlike most foreigners working in USA that have a path to the Green Cards and citisenships Japanese won't take it and return home in a few years. Though the kids that grown up here are different, of course. Like this guy with the same name:
    [​IMG]

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  17. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mostly see it. I thought Robertson had a more vicious cross but from watching stuff his balls aren't hit as hard as they were and seem more placed, I was probably conflating him with TAA.

Main difference for me is that Robertson is a workhorse. I don't se that as much with JoGo since I think he's slightly more disadvantaged athletically.

I'l submit Digne with a better right foot. I think it's really hard to be a top left back these days unless you're able to consistently beat guys on the dribble, and I don't think Gomez will be able to do that at the highest level more than your average premier league LB.

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    WheezingUSASupport and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Lawrence is an ‘01, Hurtado an ‘03. I can’t find what Allen is, but he’s either an ‘04 or ‘05.

20. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    This Real Monarchs v Austin Bold game is actually very pleasant to watch. 3/4 of the back line are academy players. Was Jaziel Orozco highly rated at the academy level? He’s really good so far. Flores is really good too. Martinez has weird positioning but is otherwise solid.

Olave has this team looking good.

edit: also the beautiful Utah background isn’t bad either. Makes me want to get back out of here again.

Tactical Hipster repped this.
  21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    RSL always played him in higher age groups, and he’s been called into Mexican YNT’s before.

My own opinion is that he has some positional versatility along the back line, but lacks the skills and athleticism to be more than an MLS back up.

Brotheryoungbuck repped this.
  22. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    Lucky for him MLS back up is the exact quality you need to be a starter on RSL. :ROFLMAO:

TarHeels17 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  23. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    ‘04s Yekeson Subah and Britton Fischer debuted for NCFv today

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  24. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    To expand on this a bit:

Yek came in and instantly stood out for his athleticism. He’s only 16 but didn’t look out of place. Missed a chance to win it that he probably should have put on frame. Other than that got very little service. He came in for a target forward but I don’t know that will be his role. I’d like to see more of him.

Fischer came in as an injury sub for the right back who was getting dominated. He did a solid job up against a pretty tough matchup.