YNT-eligible lower division-pro players: 2021 IN-SEASON thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Balerion, Apr 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That’s probably why NCFC wants to keep him (and he’s a good player), but there’s not much history of those types of deals happening. It would’ve been better for him to move this offseason IMO, as long as that would’ve been otherwise feasible. It might not have been for other reasons for him.

2. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    He is 15, so he wouldn't play for Charlotte FC for years or any other MLS team, but now he can stay home and get paid, play games and move to an MLS or overseas down the line.

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    How many years is the pro deal with North Carolina FC? There’s almost no history of USL clubs selling to MLS teams. If it’s long term, I don’t see how he advances to MLS all too soon.

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Austin: This was the most extensive game-action Casey Walls ('03) has gotten. He played 3 of 4 halves in the two games during this week. First game he had little to do. The second game, he had a very uncharacteristic off-game. No part of his game he was doing well with. It happens to all players. I don't think it helps that he's not been starting every week. It's a tough role to play for a young player. What I think he really needs to work on is that he's way too aggressive in his defensive positioning. He needs to significantly drop his starting positions. If he did that, he'd be a lot better. Currently, he pushes up too high, and then follows the player he was initially marking way too much. It takes him out of position, and he his recovery speed isn't that good.

Gilbert Fuentes ('02) also got his most extensive game-action. He played 45 minutes in one of the games. I didn't see much. I also don't think he's helped by barely getting on the field. He's good enough to be playing in USL regularly, but San Jose is hurting the development of these kids with this arrangement that sees them barely play.

Louisville: Joshua Wynder ('05) played 90 minutes. He's gotten a lot better at this level, and is starting to play more. I think he's a USL level starter now. As I've said before, he's an above-average passer of the ball, good height, and he reads the game pretty well defensively. He was listed at 6'3 earlier this season, and the listed was created when he was 15/16, so I wouldn't be surprised if he grows taller, and he may already be 6'4/6'5. I think he moves well for his size, but he is a little sluggish. He can be beat for pace by quick attackers. He also needs to improve his aerial game, despite his size advantage. The '05 age group has started to look weaker the last year, but Wynder is going the opposite direction of the whole age group. I think he's probably a top 20 player in the age group.

Tacoma: Reed Baker-Whiting ('05) started, and played the left attacking midfield role that they've had him play a lot of the season because they have nowhere to play all their CM's. It's good that he gets game practice, but I don't know that its a good strategy to give the best prospect at your club so many games out of position to benefit players who aren't going to play for your first team or will have little impact for the first team. It's hard to take much from these games.

Cody Baker ('04) was subbed on to play RB in the second half. I've mentioned before that I don't like his game at RB as much as I like it centrally. He's too hectic in a RB role. His game is based on his soccer IQ, and his ability to read plays and make good decisions. When you make his game about sprints, his main strength is less effective. He's not bad at RB, but I'd like to see him used centrally.

Las Vegas: Alex Rando ('01) and Antonio Leone ('04) both had very good games. This was after not being as good the prior game. Both have had good seasons, and part of why is that when they've played a bad game or two, they haven't let that last long. The bad games are very few and they don't happen very often. They are able to quickly put up good performances pretty quickly to not get into a sustained stretch of bad form. Armando Avila ('04) struggled in this game. He was constantly caught out of position, and left big gaps at LB. I've thought that he's done well in USL, but he's a very fringy type of prospect. It's not uncommon that a fringy 17 year old in pro soccer will have some good games and some bad games.

LAG II: Jalen Neal ('03) had his best performance since returning from injury. He played like he did last season. Very good defensively mostly due to his defensive range (this is a main reason why I compare him to Chris Richards), but also his defensive IQ. He also was better with his passing in this game. It's a strength, and it hadn't been that sharp since returning from injury. Cameron Dunbar ('02) came on in the second half, and created a lot of danger. He's beyond the USL level, and gets MLS minutes, so LAG does recognize that. I don't think though Dunbar's improved his end-product much in the last few years, and I think if he's going to become a real NT level winger, he's going to need to do that.

Real Monarchs: Blake Kelly ('06) got his first appearance in USL. He didn't have that much work, but he did well with what was asked of him. This was the first game I had seen him play. I read that he missed a lot of time due to injury this past season, so he may be underrated partially due to lack of exposure. My initial opinion was that he's a keeper that has a very good read of the game. He knows when to come off his line and he positions himself well. He didn't look out of place playing against pros as a 15 year old keeper. I think he's also good with his feet. Given his age, it's hard to assess his size and athleticism for the position because he's a 15 year old against pros. It'd be easier to asses against his own age group. I'd probably say his size and athleticism are both about average.

EXALIFTIN and Luksarus repped this.
  5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    ckajMonet and USSoccerNova repped this.
  9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    North Carolina signed another young player, '02 Cole Frame, to a pro contract.

Thundering165 repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Has anyone mentioned that the owner’s son, who has no recognizable claim to a spot on the team, is playing for Inter Miami’s USL League One team? That looks so bad. Inter Miami has a very good academy with many players that could play in USL L1. For the owner’s son to be given a spot on the team (and to make the bench his first game) is a terrible look for the club. The first team coach’s son already was given a spot and regular playing time with the USL L1 team.

11. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    NYRB II: I don't have much to add about this team. Curtis Ofori ('05) played his first game in months. I wasn't any more impressed than I've been in the past, but the bar is low to play LB, so he has that working in his advantage. I'm not sure playing in USL now does him much good. He should be playing at the U-17 level, and dominating there. He's not ready to play pro soccer.

San Antonio: I don't mention Jose Gallegos ('01) much anymore, although I have seen him play a number of games this season. I don't think he's been any worse, but I think one thing that is becoming a bigger issue with each passing season is the lack of end-product. He makes defenders look bad, but he's struggling for goals and assists. He's not going to advance to a top league if he can't add that. Leo Torres ('04) came on at the end to play RW and was very active with dribbling at defenders. I was impressed. It was the best performance I've seen from him this season, but he hasn't played more than 14 minutes in any game this season. San Antonio needs to give him more minutes. This is unacceptable IMO.

Real Monarchs: Blake Kelly ('06) played his second pro game. He only played the first half because he got a concussion. That the RSL doctors let him stay in after the collision is ridiculous IMO, considering they took him out of the game later about 30 minutes later. I'm only speculating about that, so I could be wrong. They might've followed the correct protocols. I wouldn't take much from this game though, considering the concussion. He made one nice save. He was a little, but not terribly, slow to react to a goal. He had little work aside from that. As I mentioned last week, his game is based more on IQ than raw tools. His 18 year old older brother (also a GK) is 5'11, so thats a clue of about what height he might grow to.

Esequiel Coronel ('03) played the second half. I think he has good tools as an attacking midfielders. He has a low center of gravity and very good comfort on the ball, but he's struggled to make aggressive plays at this level. He looks very tentative. I think he's more talented than what he's shown, which is a lot of touches on the ball, but a lot of lateral passing.

LAG II: Jalen Neal ('03) is rounding back into form. He had his second good game in a row. The injury might've set him back from getting much (potentially any) game time with the first team this season, but I hope he'll be integrated into the first team next season. I think he's good enough for that level. We need to see more young academy CB's integrated by MLS teams. Thats one position that MLS teams aren't doing a great job with integrating into their first team.

Johnny Perez ('03) has had a really weak season. He almost looks disinterested, but this was one of his best games of the season. He was great. It's hard to blame the kid for his anemic play this season because he probably feels he's ready to play for the first team after last season in USL, and he's gotten very few minutes with the first team. It's not always easy for players to repeat a level they feel like they've mastered.

Sacramento: Mario Penagos ('02) had his best performance of the season from what I've seen. He's not had a great season, but Sacramento doesn't play attacking football, so its not easy for a #10. He was great in this game though. He was creating a lot of attacking chances. I've compared him before to Djordje Mihailovic, and I think that type of upside isn't impossible, although I always do wonder how these USL academy players eventually move up to higher levels. It doesn't seem like anyone has an answer.

Louisville: Jonathan Gomez ('03) had a very good performance, which he does almost every game. Like usual, he started slow the first 20 minutes, and then picked it up significantly in the second half. Two areas of the game I've started to notice that he does extremely well are slide tackles and leveraging body-positioning when dribbling. Gomez timing and execution with slide tackles are about as good as you'll see. He rarely misses, and fouls the attacker (or misses completely). He also does a very good job when dribbling infield of getting his body in front of defenders. While I wouldn't say he has any better than above-average speed, defenders struggle to take the ball from him because the way he leverages body positioning is always on the verge of drawing a foul, if he needs it. Having great balance and coordination is part of this.

Tacoma: Josh Atencio ('02) got two games in during the MLS break for the international window. If he played a full season at this level, he'd be of the best players in the league. Like Atencio, Danny Leyva ('03) also got two games, and was excellent. These two kids need to be playing every game for Seattle next season. Seattle has to clear out some room for them because they have nothing left to learn at lower levels. They are MLS players, and getting semi-regular game time won't be enough anymore. They are ready to be difference makers in MLS, and need minutes to show they can do that. Leyva, in particular, has really impressed me with his USL games this season. He's absolutely dominating in every part of the game. His passing, soccer IQ, and tackling are better than I previously thought.

EXALIFTIN, SCSAutism and Luksarus repped this.
  13. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
  14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  15. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    NCFC is having a painful season, but ‘05 GK Nicholas Holliday looks like he might be the real deal. In 285 minutes he leads the league in G-xG. Part of it is that when he is in goal the team has let in an absolute barrage every game, so he gets lots of chances.

As noted above he did sign a pro deal; along with Cole Frame (02). The two have been the obvious pro prospects from the 15 academy signings. Yekeson Subah (04) has looked solid as well against pros, but injuries have held him back this year. I think he will be the next pro signing.

Edit: somehow I missed that Yek moved to RSL.

EXALIFTIN and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    A small correction, he’s an ‘06. I agree though with your point. He’s been very good. Much better than I expected.

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I watched a few games of the San Jose U-23's.

Israel Carrillo ('03) was very impressive. He's recently been moved to RB. I've been a fan of his game going back years when he played as a CB/DM. I think his game translates well to RB. He's a player that isn't discussed much, but he's one of the more underrated 03's. Tarun Karumanchi ('03) is the standout IMO in this team. His passing range is the real engine of the team. Alejandro Cano ('04) looked good in these games. He looks a little more dominant against kids his own age, but no real complaints I'd have. Emmanuel Ochoa's ('05) passing ability is even better than I previously thought. He's great with both feet, which you almost never see from a keeper. He didn't face any real attacking threat.

Tristan Viviani ('04) looked about average, but he was playing as a LW in one of the games. I don't see him having the offensive profile to be a winger. He's a LB, and maybe LWB in a pinch. Jacob Akanyirige ('01) looks adequate. Has great speed for a CB. Not sure I have many big takeaways from what I saw there about him. I like his game. Hopefully he can get reps. Joaquin Eisenberg ('04) has some offensive ideas and good technique as a #10, but more of a fringe prospect IMO.

jeff_adams repped this.
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I’d like to add one thing.

While these analytics can be interesting, I find them very questionable for the USL keepers. They suggest that Dewsnup and Rando have been the two worst goalkeepers in USL, and that’s simply not true. They’ve both been very good, so I think these numbers can be valuable, but I’m not sure they are always arriving at correct conclusions. For Holliday, I think they are mostly correct. He’s been good.

19. ElkHaven

ElkHaven Member

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 14, 2020
    Analytics can often be misleading and interesting at best. Take Dewsnup for example. At age 16 -17 He has played 13 professional level games in 2021 and been called into an MLS game day roster. That’s more than all other 2003, 2004, 2005 goalkeepers combined in the United States. And the Real Monarchs have fielded 15 of the youngest USL rosters in league history this season. Put those facts together and you start to get a picture that this is a very good goalkeeper with big upside.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, I’d like to know how they have him at more than -8 goals saved. I was trying to think of a goal all season he allowed that he should’ve saved, and I couldn’t think of anything. Giving him a negative score for his passing is another one that makes no sense. He’s easily one of the best with his feet among USL keepers. You can’t do anything other than laugh at the discrepancy because it’s not aligned with what’s happening on the field. No way he’s been anything other than very good this season.

I don’t mind analytics either, but sometimes they are just so far out from what’s happening. The same situation for Rando, who also plays for a very young team that allows a lot of goals.

21. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Performance analytics are often not the same metrics as development analytics as well. Soccer analytics are in their infancy, anyway, but in sports where it is more developed, the stats that tell you a player is great now doesn't always tell you who will be great in the future.

I wouldn't be judging a teenage GK by performance all that much right now anyway.

Tactical Hipster and ElkHaven repped this.
  22. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

23. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Big loss for NCFC, but I’m surprised to see him jump to the Monarchs so quickly

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    LAG II: Jalen Neal (‘03) played another good games, as did Johnny Perez (‘03). Perez scored a great weak footed goal that showed excellent technique.

NE II: Noel Buck (‘05) has to be getting a first team contract soon. He’s had a very good season. I don’t know that he’s ultra-talented at anything, but he’s a reliable central midfielder in a lot of regards and an above average passer of the ball. I also think his field coverage looks better than I previously thought. Meny Silva (‘02) is a winger with athleticism and dribbling ability, but he doesn’t play as well as his raw talent would indicate he should.

North Carolina: Nicholas Holliday (‘06) is an excellent shot stopper, and had a great game. He has the ability to keep multiple goals out, and keep his team in games when they shouldn't be in it. His ability to do that at this level is very impressive IMO, considering his age. His consistency has improved in other parts of the game, and he doesn't make many errors anymore. I would say though that aside from reflexes the rest of his game isn't much better than average. Cole Frame ('02) is a winger/wing-back that works hard, has some quickness, but not much skill and technique. Britton Fischer ('04) is a tall CB with pretty good passing, but he's slow, and lacks defensively.

Louisville: Jonathan Gomez ('03) had his worst stretch of games of the season. He got beat for a few goals during these the two games Louisville played last week. I don't think too much should be made of it. He wasn't playing terrible defense. He made a few bad plays, and his mistakes were punished. Most mistakes are not punished. It must so happened that a few of these were in a short span. He was still making a lot of very good plays, including defensively. Joshua Wynder ('05) is not a very exciting player, but his game is going to translate well to higher levels IMO as a big CB with above average passing/athleticism/defending.

Real Monarchs: Jeff Dewsnup ('04) had two good performances during this week. The second one he kept his team in the game. There's not much to say about these games that hasn't already been said. It's the same types of performances nearly every game with the main difference being the frequency of work he's called on to do. Christian Nydegger ('03) had a good cameo off the bench in the second game. He brought good energy to the midfield. I'm still not convinced that he's more than a midfielder that can bring some energy to the game, but I might still be underrating him.

Pl@ymaker and USSoccerNova repped this.
  25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--