YNT-eligible lower division-pro players: 2021 IN-SEASON thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Balerion, Apr 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    vines laying an egg in olympic qualifying did him no favors imo. he is playing better now, but i dunno.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't hold Olympic qualifying against anybody............................

I'll just believe Berhalter is going to call up a 17 year old lower division left back to our federation's championship when I see it.

Playing well against Birmingham Legion is great, but also not a sign of national team readiness. Just like playing well for Bayern II in the German 3rd division isn't a sign that Justin Che is ready for a USMNT opportunity.

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think if Gomez was playing in MLS right now he’d be performing better than Clark, Nyeman, and Cowell. You hear people suggest those guys should be on the Gold Cup team, and there’s no real threat that another country poached them.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't have any issue with the USMNT calling up either Gomez or Che.
    I'll just be pleasantly surprised if it does happen with Gomez.
    I'm not expecting it. I'm expecting Vines and Bello.

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think the two situations are very different. We’ve seen Mexico call Gomez into camps. All that there was about Che was that Germany is monitoring him. They monitor a lot of players. Monitoring means little. Also, Che was playing nowhere near as well as Gomez is playing. Che was not doing bad for a relegated team. Gomez is the best player on one of the best teams in USL. If you don’t believe me, read the Reddit of Louisville City.

6. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Presumably the gold cup will allow for roster changes after the group stage like the last few additions? If so, makes sense to play Gomez in one of those games, then maybe shift him out for Vines/Bello.

Sort of a predatory cap tie, but explain to him that they see him as a valuable future piece, etc etc.

7. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    if we cant send our best team to the gold cup we need to send the best team to help us forward our 2026 goals

STR1 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  8. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    FWIW, I looked at Gomez's twitter account at jonathang_42. On June 5 he retweeted a tweet from the Seleccion Nacional that wished the Mexican team good luck in the Nations League final. It may not be that easy to land him.

9. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think retweeted it, because he is in the photo. He was training with them, during that time.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don’t think it’s going to be easy. It’s not easy to keep most of the top Mexican-Americans in the system due to strong ties most of them have to Mexico, but I am not worried. I think we have the advantage.

11. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    congrats to gomez on his preliminary gold cup roster inclusion

12. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as he stockpiles for 2026, you won't be calling for the manager's head if he gets dq'ed from wcq'ing this cycle, in part because he didn't use the GC to cultivate more depth?

If not still, I wonder if the rest of the fan base and USSF brass would be so lenient.

largegarlic repped this.
  13. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    well then you can think about it this way - the world cup is 18 months away and the kids in question have very low hurdles to overcome their immediate older competition whose levels we basically already know

14. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the interests overlap in most cases, the prep for 2026 would still be the secondary goal (at most) of the 2021 GC.

And in the cases where the goals don't overlap, 2022 would have to be prioritized. Sean Johnson over Rocco Rios Novos, for example.

But incidentally, Rocco Rios should be of more interest than Odunze, who some bandy about. At the same age Rocco proved something against men. Wouldn't have been averse to him as the 3rd keeper. Neither are on the list though.

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I always look at it this way.
    Berhalter's contract is only thru 2022.
    Why on earth would he be looking further than that?

FANS are always looking long term.
    Coaches know that a string of bad results NOW and they're looking for a job.
    The vast majority of them are just looking to be as successful as they can be in the short term.

16. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    not sure if he is still age eligible for Youth National teams (u23 maybe) but hearing Blaine Ferri is signing with NTXSC. Waiting for confirmation from Buzz or one of the FCD followers.

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He's ever so slightly too old for the USYNT forum now...........................
    By a couple of months.

18. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    There's absolutely a longer term in mind. Ernie talked about it when he still talked to the media, and Berhalter has alluded to it.

There's a reason we are trying to run something up and down the program. There's even a reason we are running what we are running -- part of the intent is to set an example and incent players to develop skills. And eventually you begin to develop a pipeline.

Berhalter may not be here in 2023, but he was hired with that in mind.

That said, the Gold Cup is absolutely going to be more about 2022 than 2026. Pretending that we know who is going to be in the 2026 in 2021 is silly.

19. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    OK, well I guess any posts about him now go in the FCD thread. Wonder how long it takes for him to be the next homegrown.

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    These are games from last week.

Madison: First start of the season for Chris Brady ('04). He didn't have that much to do, but made 2-3 big saves the few times the other team threatened his goal. Brady plays about 15 years older than his age. The tropes you'd associate with a developing goalkeeper don't apply to him. He's as sure-handed as it gets for a keeper his age. He even played a nice pass or two out of the back, which would be an improvement, as thats by far the biggest negative there is to his game.

Atlanta II-SKC II: Efrain Morales ('04) had his usual game. Great flashes of athletic talent, passing ability, and composure on the ball. He also had his usual errors that he can't be making. One of them was especially egregious.

He's playing as a #6 in front of the back 4, and he's trying to drag the ball across his body with his body positioning turned towards the sidelines to fake out the player pressing him. If the player goes for the ball, he takes it off Morales uncontested, and has a free path to attack the defense. You want to see a young player try stuff, but if he did that in a game that matters playing for an old-fashioned coach and it didn't work (as it didn't in this instance), he wouldn't see the field for the next month. His situational awareness really needs to improve. He's still pretty young, but it's a big weakness, even for a player his age. As I've mentioned, I think he's much more of a #8 until he proves better situation awareness.

Caleb Wiley ('04) also had his usual game. Some good, some bad. He's figuring out the pro level. He cannot get by as easily on being more athletic, so he's needing to learn better defensive positioning, and reading of the game. He's still improving. Going forward, he's never going to be great, but he has enough technique and he's athletic.

Kayden Pierre ('03) had a routine performance. Nothing worth mentioning. Jacob Davis ('02) worked hard in a #8 role. He always does. I'm not sure he brings enough talent to eventually work his way into more than a low-level MLS role. Gavin Krenecki ('04) struggled in goal. He's still pretty young, so he could still develop physically, but he's undersized for a goalie, and I'm not sure he brings enough reliability, reflexes, or ability with his feet to project as a high level goalie.

Las Vegas-San Antonio: Jose Gallegos ('01) had a very quiet game. I noticed him very little. Julian Gaines ('02) was tremendous. His position switch to RB is going to make him so much money, and it may give him a career for the USMNT and in Europe. I think his attacking skills were probably underrated as a winger to begin with. I watched him play as a winger for Barca last season, and he was great. The competition wasn't good, but he was clearly too good for that level. He's pretty explosive with his dribbling, he's a good passer, makes good decisions. At RB, he's added the defensive component which I was unsure he'd have. LAFC will have to act quickly because he had Euro interest before this season, and it will only increase with the season he's playing right now.

Bryce Duke ('01) has been very good this season, but I don't mention him that much because I regard him as an MLS player. He's one of the top playmaking midfielders in USL. I hadn't watched him play a string of extended games prior to this season. I knew he was pretty creative, but he's better passer than I gave him credit for being. It's a strength of his. The kid is 20 years old with a full season last year in MLS. LAFC needs to be getting him games regularly or trade him to a team that will. Antonio Leone ('04) continues to improve. Defensive play was always going to be the big adjustment for him. He was athletic enough that at lower levels he couldn't really be challenged defensively. Now he's playing against pros, and needs to learn to read the game better and too position himself better. He's doing a good job with that.

Louisville: This was one of the weaker games Jonathan Gomez ('03) has played this season, but he still was good. He started off poorly. He probably was rusty for not playing any games for a few weeks. He was making bad decisions high up the field, and wasn't sharp offensively. He kicked it into gear in the second half. He was starting to make a big impact, and created a goal down the left side with a very nice run (that most fullbacks wouldn't make). He was taken out of the game early (probably because he wasn't at 90 minutes fitness) right when he started playing extremely well, but I think it was an overall good performance. The difference between this performance and others this season has been consistency. This game he was inconsistent (bad start, great finish). Most games he's been very good throughout.

Tacoma: Danny Leyva ('03) had another very good game. I don't mind the idea from Seattle to get him some extra games during the international break. He's an MLS'er. He needs to be playing regularly for Seattle when their season resumes. You see the difference in impact after a few of these games between him and most of these other players. Reed Baker-Whiting ('05) has been playing out of position the last few games as left attacking midfielder in a 3-4-3. Thats clearly not his position. He's doing his best, and you see him show that he's a better passer than you'd think when he plays in this position, but he's not able to effectively play to his strengths. Ethan Dobbelaere ('02) was playing RWB. He's a versatile player, but I'm not sure he's able to effectively play this position as a left-footed player

Los Dos: Marcus Ferkranus ('03) had an above average game. Nothing great, but I thought he showed well. He wasn't tested that much, and he had a moment or two he could've done better (not terrific defending on the second goal), but I thought he had an above-average performance. Johnny Perez ('03) was playing LW, which I don't think suits him well, but he didn't have much impact. He's not been as effective this season in USL as he was last season. Cameron Dunbar ('02) was very active in this game. He was creating a lot of havoc down the right side, but he overcomplicated too much. The biggest part of his game that needs improvement (and this has been the criticism for years) is his decision-making once he gets himself into the final third.

USSoccerNova and Luksarus repped this.
  21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Gomez making an impact again. I don’t know how he doesn’t make the Gold Cup roster. What happens if Mexico calls him into the September WCQ’s?

22. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Mexico won't call him for WCQ.

don Lamb repped this.
  23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    How do you know? He was called into their Nations League training team.

We will lose many dual-nat recruiting battles as the player pool improves, but there are certain dual-nat recruiting battles we cannot afford to lose. Elite LB’s don’t grow on trees. We already missed the chance to provisionally cap-tie him because Raphael Wicky preferred Armour and Tolkin, which was stupid at the time and still looks stupid.

You don’t pass up chances to provisionally cap-tie your best dual-nationals that another country is recruiting very hard if that player has a legitimate argument for a place on the team.

Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  24. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    North Carolina FC is having a disastrous season, but is giving their youth a chance. ‘06 keeper Nicholas Holliday gets the start tonight. Not sure why Las isn’t starting.

NCFC has been awful with communicating with fans. Their best young player, Subah, is not on the roster but it is unclear if it is due to injury or something else.

Frame (02), Fischer (04), and O’Ferral (03) get their first starts.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  25. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How was Charlotte FC's academy affected the RTP area? Presumably it'd be in their homegrown territory so I'm curious how people are viewing them.